Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Well, it could motivate more people to buy the actual CD. That's the upside.

I have a bad feeling that the Hobbit won't be nominated for the Academy Award. Reuse from LotR, a main theme co-composed by Plan 9 ...

From WaterTower's facebook page:

"Keep your eyes open tomorrow! There MAY be a little Hobbit Soundtrack surprise for our fans!"

Probably nothing to get excited about, but who knows.

Even though I've heard the standard OST a couple of times now, I love the samples for the bonus cues in the Special Edition.

Well, these are all 90 second samples, which means we now have Blunt The Knives, A Very Respectable Hobbit, and Erebor in their entirety!

Blunt The Knives starts with dialogue by Bilbo and the dwarfs, kind of weird.

Man I can't wait for my CD to arrive!

This is such a good score, its practically all I've been listening to lately

I'm not even interested in that track. I can generally do without cast songs on a score release.

I've heard maybe 2 or 3 tracks in their entirety (plus any that have a kick-ass Plan 9 rendition) - waiting for the CD to hear the rest.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Epic fail on all accounts.

A lot of digital media pricing is like this. There are mp3 albums that are more expensive than their CD counterparts. You'd think everyone would opt for the physical disc, but that's really not the case anymore these days. Some people shop exclusively digital, so those similar prices keep the profits high.

I think I'll wait for the actual release before listening to this score again since the release date is apparently next Friday (7th of December) in Finland.

The full soundtrack (standard edition) is available for streaming (once again!), this time on Rolling Stone website (with each track available separately, unlike the Empire stream): http://www.rollingst...emiere-20121130

Ah, great! I hated the crossfades.

I am really excited to listen to the album once it arrives! All that I have heard thusfar is very engrossing for a veteran of the LotR music and one who really loves the sound Shore created for this universe. Doug Adams' liner notes will be a hugely enlightening and entertaining bonus on top of the music. :)

I think I'll wait for the actual release before listening to this score again since the release date is apparently next Friday (7th of December) in Finland.

Yes, indeed. I noticed that as well. I even mailed a online store here, but they told me that's the date the manufacturer had sent them.

I really would not be surprised. I remember getting both TTT and RotK soundtracks a few days before the announced "official" release date.

I can't get the piercing and sharp brass punctuations from "A Thunder Battle" out of my head.

I think this is a sequence that would have been cut, had the movie stayed a two-part story. That's why I think "The Edge Of The Wild" is an alternate for the company leaving Rivendell and arriving at Beorn's.

Uhh, that would be a big cut to skip over the entire Misty Mountain sequence. You know, the part where Bilbo GETS THE RING

I think this is a sequence that would have been cut, had the movie stayed a two-part story. That's why I think "The Edge Of The Wild" is an alternate for the company leaving Rivendell and arriving at Beorn's.

I really doubt those mysterious string figures are for Beorn. It was probably meant to accompany a glimpse of Mirkwood.

Well there is always that Georg. ;)

And the Edge of the Wild is actually on the Western side of the Misty Mountains on Tolkien's map. Not that they couldn't take artistic licence with such nomenclature though, especially in the track names.

I trust Doug's liner notes to clear this thing up, whatever this cue actually may be.

Certainly. But I'm fairly sure that at least "A Very Respectable Hobbit", and maybe "Dreaming Of Bag End", are pure thematic presentations recorded with a real orchestra instead of synths. And also probably "Erebor" (which kicks ass by the way).

Certainly. But I'm fairly sure that at least "A Very Respectable Hobbit", and maybe "Dreaming Of Bag End", are pure thematic presentations recorded with a real orchestra instead of synths. And also probably "Erebor" (which kicks ass by the way).

Yeah those are all wonderful pieces, judging from the clips. I can't wait to hear them in full form! :)

This self imposed embargo of not listening to the score after the initial listen of the Empire Magazine's stream is getting a bit frustrating but I hope next Friday that my wait is rewarded with the Special Edition album. :)

I think that the "A very respectable Hobbit" track will play during Bilbo's walk to the market in hobbiton.

I am sure that "Dreaming of Bag End" is the second half of the end credits, and that the four SE only bonus tracks are original theme demos rerecorded by the LPO during (or before) the film's main scoring sessions. Mark my words!

These aren't demos! These are suites! And I was the first one to submit that hypothesis! I want my free soundtrack!

They are not suites, they are theme presentations.

I look forward to a couple of weeks of heated speculation on this. Winner gets a lollipop and a pat on the head.

The lollipop isn't enough by itself? Wow, tough crowd. I can always try to forge his name on the wrapper if that makes my sweet offer sweeter.

Does anyone else think the theme at the start of Radagast The Brown might be a theme for Gandalf the Grey? I say this because of the clip released of the Dwarves arriving at Bag End. That theme plays when Bilbo sees Gandalf is behind the unexpected guests arrival.

Gandalf the White had a couple of themes in LOTR but he was left without a musical signature in Fellowship so it would be an interesting addition to the musical world if Shore has decided to give him a theme this time.

I doubt that, because Shore deliberately didn't give him a theme in FOTR. Giving him one in The Hobbit would make it feel like FOTR is missing something.

I wouldn't be against a theme for the character, though.

It would feel a bit odd for Gandalf to have a theme here but then suddenly not at the beginning of LotR but I just watched a clip where the Dwarves fall on the front door mat at Bag End and there is the small melodic snippet heard on several tracks on the Hobbit soundtrack underscoring Gandalf's appearance behind them. Make what you will about that. A bit too early to say for sure in my opinion.