Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Not to mention a wizard never mates.

Oh come now. You obviously have a lot to learn about wizards!

I thought a wizard was never late?

Hey that's true! He arrives precisely when he means to! I am safe on this account! I can't ever be late. :)

Yet you got to Bag End only after Frodo already left for Rivendell.

It was all intentional. Part of the plan I can assure you!

Yeah... In the millions of years history of Middle-Earth, there have only been 5 wizards. I don't hear any oat sowing in those guys. Must be the hats.

Yeah... In the millions of years history of Middle-Earth, there have only been 5 wizards. I don't hear any oat sowing in those guys. Must be the hats.

But pointy hats... pointy hats are cool.

But pointy hats... pointy hats are cool.

Yeah... if you're a highway and re-directing traffic.

Could someone upload that video of the Thorin Vs. Azog scene with the original music restored, that SafeUnderHill posted somewhere else (like Vimeo or something), its blocked in my country.

That theme you are talking about at 1:03 of The Adventure Begins also plays at 5:22 of Axe or Sword and 0:54 of Dreaming of Bag End. Though it may just be the B section of the Took theme

I'm not sure it is part of the Took theme. It's isolated use in 'The Adventure Begins' seems to suggest otherwise. Also, it's not part of the rendition in 'The White Council'.

It's also used two more times in the film that aren't on the OST. I dunno what it represents

That theme you are talking about at 1:03 of The Adventure Begins also plays at 5:22 of Axe or Sword and 0:54 of Dreaming of Bag End. Though it may just be the B section of the Took theme

I always looked this as a kind of B-section of the Took theme.

The first three notes are the start of Gandalf the Grey theme?

To my ears not exactly the same three notes but quite close I would say. Good catch. Doug Adams does say that both Thorin's and Gandalf's themes interact with the Shire music and vice versa. :)

how many times have you all seen it?

I saw it three times in the theater, and then again who knows how many times in bits and pieces while analysing the score

The first three notes are the start of Gandalf the Grey theme?

To my ears not exactly the same three notes but quite close I would say. Good catch. Doug Adams does say that both Thorin's and Gandalf's themes interact with the Shire music and vice versa. :)

That's actually a good catch. I'd say those are actually the same opening pitches. Just as Gandalf the White's theme was shaped after the contours of the Fellowship theme, it would make good sense for Gandalf the Grey's theme to be shaped after Bilbo's thematic material.

The trolls theme plays superbly in the film, especially when you first see them. I was never such a fan of the theme but it works so well.

(Another observation from my second viewing, how many times have you all seen it?)

Definitely. The comical waltz is incredibly effective in context.

Then why not record new material during the DoS sessions? Or would that be too close to the EE deadline?

In any case, sorry, I'm dissapointed.

But then, Jacko scored parts of the film himself already in the editing room, why not continue that trend?

Yes read the first post of my complete cue list thread. IIRC there's 55 minutes of music on CD not in the film, and 55 minutes of music in the film not on CD.

EDIT: Here's a link

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22758

OK, I've now moved all the posts concerning BloodBoal's EXCELLENT An Unexpected Journey unused-music-restored videos to their own thread, here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23483

Really? The Hobbit clearly seems like the best nominee to me.

Are the WSA known for playing by "Oscar politics"?

Nope.

I've played Skyfall more then The Hobbit.

Yes, a composers chances increase if he attends the ceremony.

So if Greenwood or Dario attend and become a guest at the Ghent festival they will win over Shore or Newman.

Yes, a composers chances increase if he attends the ceremony.

So if Greenwood or Dario attend and become a guest at the Ghent festival they will win over Shore or Newman.

Ahh, I see.