Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

I am fairly certain the sessions are far from being wrapped. On RotK, the score was still in the process of recording when the sound design was done already.

I am fairly certain the sessions are far from being wrapped. On RotK, the score was still in the process of recording when the sound design was done already.

Alrighty! I heard you the first time! I'm not so deaf as old Inky here!

I have an idea things might be a lot more organized thing. And hasn't it already been a month since the recording began?

He was joking

I don't think the score is even done being written/recorded yet

Indeed, I think they're starting to wrap up the recording sessions. Anyone remember when they started?

The recording sessions began on August 20th.

Source: http://www.musicoflotr.com/2012/08/commencement.html

• 2 weeks later...

It would be great if they released the complete theatrical film score on the first go and the extended edition score later. Awful double dipping but I would buy both.

But considering that the soundtrack has to be locked well in advance it might not be possible to release a complete score immediately in any case.

Again, why would they release the complete score at first go after the enormous amount of money they made from all those useless releases for LotR? Makes no sense. We're going to get a bunch of CDs with ugly screensavers before we get the complete thing.

But then, its not Reprise Records anymore, so things might be different.

Yeah there will be 25 hot new remixes by DJ Tiesto of the Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold song on the second CD. Plus there will be a cool mini poster you can fold out of the CD cover and sleeve. Plus a short note of thank you from DJ Tiesto to Howard Shore and a complete analysis of the 25 remixes by Doug Adams.

Think of Return of the King: 2 disc Deluxe Edition, one with the regular OST, the other a DVD with featurette, music video, image gallery and trailer.

Yes.

I mean, it is cute to speculate about additional music, but it is unrealistic.

Even though I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there will be an extra cue, like on the TTT special edition.

God, I hope the credits song will be in touch with Shore's score and not some generic pop crap.

My guess is that the theatrical complete version is already longer than what fits on two CDs. Maybe.

But forget that hope, don't let it grow, it won't be that.

Deadline for the OST is probably mid-November, and I wouldn't be surprised if music was still being recorded at that point.

If the theatrical cut of the film truly is 2 hours and 44 minutes, then the amount of score in the film is probably somewhere around 2 1/2 hours, which easily fits on 2 discs. However, the chance that this Deluxe Edition CD coming out is the complete theatrical score is almost 0. It's gotta be a bonus DVD and not a disc full of score.

Not a big fan of TTT and FOTR but Return of the King was a huge improvement. If Shore keeps this trend this should be listenable

In an interview, Shore said that The Hobbit will sound like Empire Strikes Back meets The Temple Of Doom. So, it should be more or less listenable...

ROTFLMAO

For those that appreciate what Shore did on all three TLOTR movies, the scores to The Hobbit will be a welcome return to that sound and naturally be listenable. Regardless of what he actually puts down on paper.

Don't worry, KM. Some of us even have even heard a John Williams score or two.