Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

If the Finnish release date for the soundtrack is correct I might know this on Friday. :)

A nice little video! Thanks BloodBoal!

And the name in the video is just about as embarrasing as William Shore as he was titled in one concert programme. ;)

But that would make a great stage name or a name for a cop series, Howard Stone.

I can't wait to delve into the score!

The video didn't seem synced to the music at all as the whole string section was playing and only the brass was heard. Doesn't change the fact that it was an alternate though. ;)

And it's one I think we'll want - the renditions I've heard in the stream have either a brass counterpoint at the end of the first section or switch to strings.

I'd love a rendition that just plays it all the way through in brass, with no strange counterpoints - it's purer.

Having said that, we haven't heard the SE tracks in full - we don't know it's unreleased yet. Also, the post-prod video came out maybe a few weeks after pick-up sessions were reported - why would they go to the trouble of including a revised cue when they've got the entire score already recorded?

I sure hope mine arrives at the store tomorrow! :) Excitement abounds!

Today Sibelius in honor of our Independence Day and tomorrow Shore in honour of the Hobbit!

Usually how comforting and accomplished the score is in evoking the LotR continuity and class and one remarked how only the audience and Howard Shore's string section are aware of the significance of the moment when Bilbo finds the Ring. :)

Oh the irony of Plan 9's contribution. It will be the Fellowship Theme of these scores.

Here is a list of themes and motifs I picked up on in the score. This list is for the standard edition of the score, as heard in those streams. The naming is most likely not correct, but I had to name them.

"In a hole in the ground ..." track 1, 0:00-0:36, track 22, 5:49-5:58, track 24, 0:32-0:48

"Journey theme" track 1, 0:37-0:50, track 18, 1:20-1:36, track 24, 3:25-3:40

"The Lonely Mountain/Thorin" track 1, 1:57-2:16 ... track 4, 0:34-0:52, track 10, 2:06-2:14

"The Lonely Mountain B theme" track 1, 2:05-2:09, 2:45 -3:00, 7:46

"Dwarven Heroism" track 1, 2:17-2:36

"Smaug's Theme" track 1, 4:15-4:33

"Evil Power theme" track 1, 4:34-4:55, track 23, 2:41-2:53, 4:23-5:09

"Treasure theme" track 1, 6:29-6:40, track 4, 0:52-1:06, 2:05-2:14

"Menace theme" track 1, 7:21-7:45 ... track 2, 3:54-4:20, track 21, 3:47-4:15

"Bilbo's theme" track 2, 2:45-2:55, track 4, 4:12-5:30

"Gandalf's theme" track 2, 3:36-3:46, track 3, 2:02-2:11

"Bilbo the Master Thief" track 3, 1:41-2:02 , track 6, 0:53-1:05, track 10, 0:26-0:38, track 22, 5:59-6:20

"Dwarven Antics" track 3, 2:12-2:36, 2:56-3:14

"Evil motif" track 1, 6:00-6:07 track 4, 1:12-1:31, track 23, 2:53-3:18

"Company Theme" track 5, 0:00-1:32, track 6, 1:26-2:00

"A Very Respectable Hobbit" track 6, 0:10-0:38

"Erebor" track 6, 0:39-0:52, 1:06-1:18

"Necromancer's Minions" track 8, 0:55-1:01

"Radagast" track 9, 3:38-4:45

"Troll Motif" track 10, 0:00-0:16, 0:52-1:03

"The Wargs" track 13, 0:00-0:15, track 23, 0:19-0:29

"Mountain Orcs theme" track 22, 1:17-1:44, 2:28-2:41

"Mountain Orc Theme inversion" track 13, 1:27-1:36, track 23, 0:19-0:29

"Necromancer's Rise" track 17, 5:15- 5:42

Impressive GK. And all that from a couple of listens of the Empire Magazine's and Rolling Stones' streams. ;)

If my hopes are fulfilled I can finally sit down to a listen of the Special Edition tonight and can contribute to the parsing of the themes and ideas of this score. :)

Oooh looks fancy! I wants it my Preciousssss! I wants it now!!!

P.S. Looks like they opted for the dreaded cardboard sleeves for the discs. Big mistake. A quick transfer to jewel cases is in order I think.

P.S. Looks like they opted for the dreaded cardboard sleeves for the discs. Big mistake. A quick transfer to jewel cases is in order I think.

Indeed! I don't like the packaging at all.

There is no mention of the bonus tracks in Doug's liner notes.

Indeed! I don't like the packaging at all.

What a bunch of whiners you make! I hope WaterTower Records decides to release just a single disc OST for the next two films! That will teach you to shut the fuck up!

Oh, and that's very respectful to Doug Adams and all the hard work he put into it. You guys make me sick!

It looks otherwise fantastic but I had to say something critical about the whole thing so people won't take me for a Shore fan boy. ;)

Well apparently every store here has the regular edition but I did not get my Special Edition today although when I ordered the store site said it should be released on 7th of December. :( No notification from the store. I went to some other retailers today and they all had the regular version on the shelf with no Special Edition to be seen anywhere. What gives?

Oh and yes how are the notes Alexander?

Well it's just a matter of days now anyway. :)

I bought it off Amazon with the "delivery on the day of release" option. So it should be here on Monday. I'm not overly fussed anyway. Especially at this time of the year with Royal Mail having so many things to deliver.

Karol

I'm trying to think of a way to get the CD's out without damaging them...

How about a rubber knub for the next one?

I might rub some people the wrong way.

And yeah how about those liner notes? How long and detailed they are? Is Mr. Adams giving us something akin his CR treatment or something lighter?

Well apparently every store here has the regular edition but I did not get my Special Edition today although when I ordered the store site said it should be released on 7th of December. sad.png No notification from the store. I went to some other retailers today and they all had the regular version on the shelf with no Special Edition to be seen anywhere. What gives?

Oh and yes how are the notes Alexander?

Dutch online stores list the SE for December 6th.

It is this release date circus everytime something this anticipated is released. :P Every damn time.

You actually made me jealous, so I browsed the web for other countries' stores that might offer speed delivery ;)

Actually, I tried at Finnish, Swedish, Dutch, Belgian, Austrian, Swiss, Italian and French stores. Holland, Belgium, Finland and Sweden seem to have it relesed yesterday. But no speed delivery. If I ordered there, I had it on the same day as the German release anyway.

No, I'm not a fanboy ....

I thought I might actually get a soundtrack release in advance for once but no. Grrrr...

One of the most frustrating things today was to stare at the regular CD that was so temptingly in reach on the shelf and then I had to turn away because I want the Special Edition. Torture! Pure torture!

Holland, Belgium, Finland and Sweden seem to have it relesed yesterday.

say what now? link please.

I've been to the biggest cd store here twice (the first time they played song of the lonely mountain in the store hehe) this week and asked about it and I called today haha. they are supposed to get it on monday but he wasn't sure of that either. all the online cd stores I've checked say december 10 too.

Holland, Belgium, Finland and Sweden seem to have it relesed yesterday.

say what now? link please.

I've been to the biggest cd store here twice (the first time they played song of the lonely mountain in the store hehe) this week and asked about it and I called today haha. they are supposed to get it on monday but he wasn't sure of that either. all the online cd stores I've checked say december 10 too.

Well the CD stores are not going to care about this stuff. It doesn't have words and you can't dance to it. They put it on the shelves when it arrives but that's it.