Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

The few opening chords sound the same to my ears but not the whole passage. But you could be on to something there.

I am actually quite happy that the Fate of the Ring doesn't appear in Moon Runes as it would have made very little dramatic or contextual sense.

The few opening chords sound the same to my ears but not the whole passage. But you could be on to something there.

Of course, it's not similar to the whole passage, but there are troubling similarities... The thing is, Doug doesn't want us to know truth. He's hiding something from us. Something tells me we are about to uncover a dark, long-forgotten musical secret...

gfotraccount14.jpg

Gandalf originally had 14 different themes in the Hobbit!!! So this is what we were never meant to know!

And every Dwarf had a theme but PJ told Shore to cut them down. Harrumph!

gandalf_201.jpg

Here follows the account of Howard Shore on the last days of recording of the Hobbit:

We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the main hall of the studio and Second Recording Stage. Sam Okell and Peter Cobbin and Simon Rhodes fell there bravely while the rest retr [...] Abbey Road. We still ho[...]g ... but hope u[...]n[...]Rhodes’ party went five days ago but today only four returned. The pool is up to the wall at west side door. The Watcher in the Lobby took the assistant recording engineer-we cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep.

PJ is coming...."

What are you talking about, Shore is the Balrog!

BTW I think I hear and edit in Riddles in the Dark between 0:23 to 0:25

the strings seem to skip when I hear it (and before you ask, no, its not a skip from scratches or a bad rip)

Its most noticable in the left channel.

I don't want to go too deep into unchartered and unholy territory, but what if PJ and Shore did have some creative differences, and Shore just followed his lead in the end just because he likes to do these films very much.

Always nice to see a discussion take such a pleasant turn gentlemen.

When Incanus dug too greedily and too deep, in the darkness of JWFan hell, he realized what he just awoke... shadow and flame...

3374mpa00800.jpg

"Shadow wreathed in flame"

get it right!

Just an interesting little titbit about what almost made the Hobbit album:

Faleel

Could "The Valley of Imladris" be released as iTunes single? ;)

It almost made the album.

"Shadow wreathed in flame"

get it right!

Just an interesting little titbit about what almost made the Hobbit album:

Faleel

Could "The Valley of Imladris" be released as iTunes single? ;)

It almost made the album.

You're referencing the wrong scene ;)

Btw, does this mean Doug has officially come out of hiding?

We are, but you quoted Saruman describing the Eye of Sauron, I was quoting him describing the Balrog.

Why are people so nervous? The next film won't come out for three quarters of a year, everyone is busy. Shore at this point probably doesn't have a full cut of the film to work with....

I don't remember much news coming from the score front in the spring after FOTR was released.

I am sure Shore is busy scoring the extended cut of the Unexpected Journey at the moment and will probably already be working on the DoS as well.

I wouldn't look too much into Doug being sworn to secrecy about the scores. Warner seem to be keeping a very tight ship over any kind of spoilers in relation to these films. Have you seen what they've done with the edited version of the Desolation of Smaug sneak peek? They've removed most of the good stuff at the end, including the scene with Gandalf in the High Fells, which is kind of ridiculous.

What do realistically expect at this stage with regard information about the scores? The situation has obviously put us on edge but unless Shore is leaving the project it's unlikely they're going to put out a statement about it. I'm guessing Doug's statement on his blog around Christmas is about the best we'll get.

Doug has been pretty tight lipped about the whole score on his blog for the most part. I guess he is still discovering the music himself and busy with other projects. Even though collaborating with Shore now from the beginning I assume it is not like he has had any great advance look on the material and has to do research on it. Also the fact that they can't legally say much might affect the situation.

I honestly have no idea what will they do for the next end credits song or whom they will invite to write/perform it. It probably will be a strange love song about forbidden relationships between races, Dwarf and Elf...

There is also the somewhat cynical view that Doug has a book to sell at some point down the line, so probably doesn't want to give too much away at this early stage.

But I remember that we had endlessly compelling discussions with Doug through the years when the LotR movies were coming out and long after and The Music of Lord of the Rings Films was still a revelation when it came out. I do not think we could run out of things to discuss.