Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

I'm sure there were recording sessions for ROTK EE. It's such a massive film, there certainly was footage put back in the EE that Shore didn't score back in 2003. And even if he had already scored most of this footage, it's still possible PJ asked him to rewrite some of it.

There were definitely recording sessions (numbering in the double figures) for the ROTK EE in March 2004. Bilbo's Song is a product of these, and various items of sheet music have been seen showing ROTK DVD #. Just because material was recorded for EE scenes in the original (August-November 2003) sessions doesn't mean that it wasn't rearranged and rerecorded in the EE sessions.

This cue, Erebor and The Dwarf Lords are clearly theme presentations and nothing more.

Clearly as in "We all agreed, so it is"

I had a hunch that A Very Respectable Hobbit might play in that scene with Bilbo at the Hobbiton market.

But let's say it is meant for that scene. Why did they put it at the very end of the album, with Erebor and The Dwarf Lords (which clearly are theme presentations), instead of right after Old Friends?

LISTENING EXPERIENCE! ;)

Well, Yes and no, I think they might be End Credits cues, and PJ just majorly messed up and used only one of them, and tracked music from the film

I had a hunch that A Very Respectable Hobbit might play in that scene with Bilbo at the Hobbiton market.

But let's say it is meant for that scene. Why did they put it at the very end of the album, with Erebor and The Dwarf Lords (which clearly are theme presentations), instead of right after Old Friends? Doug said it would all make sense, yet it doesn't!

It would make sense to include the music from the EE scenes at the end of the album presentation. :P

But I also think those pieces are some kind of thematic (demo) suites recorded either for PJs benefit or for the album. At least Erebor and the Dwarf Lords.

I wonder if we will find out what these bonus tracks are before all the films have come out and NDAs allow some revelations for poor fans still jumping from one foot to the other in agony of not knowing. ;)

But, the EE has a few extra actors (Belladona), so there could be extra seconds of credits... (Just Guessing, cue some smart alec pointing out that the credits are the same etc.)

Yeah, what with the Beorn Chase, the scene of Beorn and Thorin dueling, Bilbo riding a bee etc. I could see some bombastic music occuring!

Well, "ethnic nature" is a bit of a stretch I think. Fellowship also featured Monochord, Sarangi, Ney Flute, Rhaita, Penny Whistle, Fiddle ... and I wouldn't exactly attest Fellowship an "ethnic nature" ;)

If 'Erebor' or a cue very similar appears in DoS I'd be willing to forgive Jackson for many of his music-related mishaps in AUJ.

While we're on the subject, it'd be nice to hear some grand version of the 'Dwarf Lords' theme when they're climbing that huge statue. And if he wants to reprise the Dwarrowdelf theme (I know, I know - but I love it so much), he can (a new version of course). If we're reconstituting certain themes, it can become a 'Dwarven Grandeur in Ruin' theme instead.

I'm sure there were recording sessions for ROTK EE. It's such a massive film, there certainly was footage put back in the EE that Shore didn't score back in 2003. And even if he had already scored most of this footage, it's still possible PJ asked him to rewrite some of it.

There were definitely recording sessions (numbering in the double figures) for the ROTK EE in March 2004. Bilbo's Song is a product of these, and various items of sheet music have been seen showing ROTK DVD #. Just because material was recorded for EE scenes in the original (August-November 2003) sessions doesn't mean that it wasn't rearranged and rerecorded in the EE sessions.

Thank you for bringing a voice of reason here. I am catching up on these threads and reading all these posts by people thinking there were no recording sessions just for the ROTK EE going "How are these people forgetting all the contrary evidence!"

Thank you for bringing a voice of reason here. I am catching up on these threads and reading all these posts by people thinking there were no recording sessions just for the ROTK EE going "How are these people forgetting all the contrary evidence!"

That is mainly because we are in a feverish panic over the DoS! Nothing makes sense anymore!

Yeah, it's not like Catholic church can't take this one more blow.

Karol

As I said before PJ has jumped the Pope on this one!

I just finished watching the EE of An Unexpected Journey, and there was clearly NO new music recorded just for the EE whatsoever.

All the new scenes were scored with one of the below:

1. Looped and tracked music from cues already in the film.

2. Tracked music from FOTR (Flaming Red Hair and Bag End)

3. A longer version of Shore's "The Valley Of Imladris" (which was likely recorded at one long length and then cut into picture as needed

4. The unused music from the opening of "The White Council" track on the SE soundtrack.

That's it!

Oh, it's possible that the Goblin King's new "Goblin-Town" song was recorded just for the EE, I have no idea, but Shore was not involved with it anyway.

Let me check...

OK, the bit in the standard version of Old Friends that isn't on the SE (1:51-2:31) doesn't come close to fitting the Young Bilbo scene, neither tonally or length-wise. Flaming Red Hair honestly fits the scene much better (it's a perfect fit really, and was possibly always the intention)

Let me try it over the marketplace scene...

Nope, doesn't come close to fitting the marketplace scene either. It's not the right length for any different place you try to start it, and the fireworks motif coming in for the "blanket that looks like Gandalf" bit doesnt work and isn't the right length.

It's gotta be for something to do with fireworks that is either no longer in the film, or was edited differently so it's hard to line up

So I think the only one of your isolated score videos you'll be able to re-do now with EE footage is The White Council. Possibly An Unexpected Party if the extra Bifur/Oin bit was scored by Shore but I don't think it was.

Besides not fitting the mood of the scene (from your description Jason) A Very Respectable Hobbit also uses Bilbo's Adventure Theme at the beginning, which would be very curious placement for it if he is just going to the market. So it is basically confirmed (yes Doug did that previously quite strongly) that it is just a thematic suite of the Adventure and Fussy/Bilbo'sAntics Themes.

I do agree the mix on the credits sounds much better. It's more folk-y and spacious.

I dunno, I read the book when I was younger and read it again before the film and I still enjoyed the film. I never expected it to be as good as LOTR but I enjoyed it all the same. Flawed but enjoyable.

Yes the film mix of Neil Finn's song is quite different from the album mix, and I would say universally agreed here on jwfan to be the superior version. It reduces the most bizarre elements of it and makes it a more acousticy, folky version. It almost makes the song tolerable! ;)

And yes I enjoy the climax of the film too. Other than the look (like many scenes it's too obvious that it was shot inside on a set rather than outside in a real fkrest), it succeeds at being a well staged chase/showdown, and of course the music is great (either the original intended version or the revised film version, other than the Gondor Reborn bit)