Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

So the ringwraith part used was not continued to be used for other Thorin vs azog battles...*

(unlike nature's reclamation with theothen leading horse charges)

I think that means that it was last minute mental fart for jackson. he just wanted it there.

Man, the guy could have requeste khazad dum to be used.

*thankfully.

well the final battle with azog didnt know when it wanted to use its music or not anyway

but if you are talking about that scene, they used the 'To the Death' bit from 2:15/2:35

though who knows if that piece was meant for that scene

So Jackson has finally beaten us then. After 5 movies the last one proved to difficult to restore to its original musical intentions.

Has Jackson finally crushed Alvar and his spirit? I did not think it could be done.

Well there you have it, the final sign that all good things about this whole affair did indeed come to an end.

That is why he has been so keen to blame Mr. Pope. I think the Boal doth protest too much!

PJ has lost it! BBoal's e-mails prove it without the shadow of a doubt. No more nice guy PJ. BBoals restoration project obviously drove him insane.

As we've now clearly established that Jackson reads these boards, before he draws up his hit list of people to have murdered I'd like to remind him that I like the Hobbit films more than most and have defended them on numerous occasions. That is all.

I resent being only the 3rd on that hit list. Or 2nd now that Barny has gone to the side of the enemy in fear.

As we've now clearly established that Jackson reads these boards, before he draws up his hit list of people to have murdered I'd like to remind him that I like the Hobbit films more than most and have defended them on numerous occasions. That is all.

Traitor!

Kill%20Billbo_zps3syqdcfl.jpg

Jesus! I'm PJ's first target?! Was this attached to his second email?

Well I guess it couldn't be any other way. Bring it on Jacko! I'll cue the Thorin vs. Azog theme. It shall be known henceforth as the KK vs PJ theme!

Damn you BB for driving this man to madness!

That is my hypothesis. ;)

Also, of note, Production Diary #3 has a clean opening of the Horn statement of the Bilbo's Adventure at 0:41 of The World is Ahead.

Also, the cue that Jay called "Boat" is the music at 1:18-1:43 with 2:08-2:14 of Riddles in the Dark layered over it (and pitch shifted I think).

Internal edit? Is that what people in the music business call stomach stapling?

It is no reason to gloat. You are not just important to have made it to the hit list.

I hope it is some improved model. The last time one attacked a woman it got its head sliced clean off.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Doug confirming the existence of more early thematic ideas/presentations like those at the end of the AUJ: SE soundtrack? Surely we can expect more of these if a Hobbit Rarities Archive accompanies his book?

More #Hobbit trivia: The first Hobbit album concludes with a series of pieces that represent #HowardShore's earliest thematic concepts …

However, there were still a number of these concept pieces that weren't presented as such …

Slivers of additional unused Dwarf themes show up throughout the score.

For example … "An Unexpected Party" at 3:43 … or "Roast Mutton" at 2:07.

By the way, this was the same process that Shore used on #LOTR. All part and parcel of film composing.

3:43 of An Expected Party also appears in The Dwarf Lords, obviously

Roast Mutton at 2:07.... interesting!

Couldn't that second example from Roast Mutton be the theme heard in the Erebor suite? The leaping rising pitches are similar, nay the same.