Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

That reminds me, KK: I recently reread this post of yours (stumbled upon it as I was searching for something else). A fun read! Ah, the good ol' days!

Wow, that is a cool post of KKs!

Before 50 Shades, before Supergirl... when he was still cool...

I'm still cool!!

Steef's Hobbit Defense System will go nuts if he sees that post!

Lol I love how much apologizing I do with my criticisms.

:lol:

Always be polite. KK and I were obviously raised the same way on that respect.

Btw my analysis on the Special Edition soundtrack album of the first score (thematic analysis for starters, track-by-track to follow later) is finally up in the Reviews section. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So Doug is saying 3:21-3:42 of Out of the Frying Pan is a theme for the pine tree location the climax of the film happens in?

But then why would that recur throughout the score if they only are at that location once?

So it is more of a setpiece theme? It is not that uncommon as well all know and e.g. many of the monsters of Middle-earth have one scene specific thematic idea yet specifically tied to them. Why not the pinewoods then? ;)

So it is more of a setpiece theme? It is not that uncommon as well all know and e.g. many of the monsters of Middle-earth have one scene specific thematic idea yet specifically tied to them. Why not the pinewoods then? ;)

Thematic material associated with cultures and locations is a key concept throughout both trilogies.

Thematic material associated with cultures and locations is a key concept throughout both trilogies.

True.

• 1 month later...

Yeah that's like so obvious man! Like totally! Duh!

Hmmm... why haven't I mentioned this in my analysis?!!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Nice little shout out from McKellen to Shore. And yes it is for the "Good Morning" scene. :)

Very interesting bit at the end with McKellen talking about how he did the recordings for LOTR video games.

He shows how tedious it was, and it was frankly only done for the money. He reckons he got paid more for the games than the films!

And with The Hobbit the producers had bought the games company, and put in the contracts that they would be required for game recordings (and would be paid much less). And he didn't seem happy that if you didn't they'd get someone to imitate you (which happened on The Hobbit).

He said "So that's what it comes down to - you don't pay actors for your work". I'm not sure if that means he didn't get paid anything for doing The Hobbit because he didn't go the game recordings.

I think McKellen was just observing how the movie/game business is changing and now even big name actors can be replaced by voice over artists imitating their voices to cut costs. I am sure he was paid handsomely for the Hobbit films.

I just re-listened to Faleel's edit for the first time in a while. Damn what I would give for a clean version of the unreleased goblin music. "Under Hill" is just too short...

I just re-listened to Faleel's edit for the first time in a while. Damn what I would give for a clean version of the unreleased goblin music. "Under Hill" is just too short...

Complete Recordings should be produced!

Nice reverse psychology there BB. But the Water Tower Music producers do not read this site. ;)

Everything is related to everything in these scores! End of story!