Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

There's nothing weak about listening to samples. I enjoy being familiar with the music before I see the movie

On the other hand, the girl surprises me with every day that passes. I take every bad thing I may have said or will say about her.

You'll live to regret it - just wait until she's drunk again!

I take every bad thing I may have said or will say about her.

Why would you have to take everything you said? you already have what you said in your possession!

My first thought when I heard it was actually Shore's own score for Soul Of The Ultimate Nation. Especially for those first few seconds. I'm probably way off as I've not heard Soul for a long time. I think it was the voices more than anything.

On the other hand, the girl surprises me with every day that passes. I take back every bad thing I may have said or will say about her. She's a keeper.

who... are you?

damn, I can't put my finger on you. and I'm usually very good at putting my finger on people. argh!

I'm sure she couldn't resist...

oh I sure could! and can!

screw the upcoming samples too. I'm not listening to any of this before I've seen the film. BAM! best movie experience ever.

"Not listening ... not listening!"

Oh damn ....

The sound is close to LotR but different - obviously.

I think, as it was very often the case in RotK IMO, Shore makes the images on screen better than they really are. Like with Radagast here.

I keep playing this track again. Its great stuff!

:thumbup:

I think we can't say anything definitive about the Radagast scene this music is meant to accompany but it really sounds intriguing as it goes through so many different moods in this little less than 5 minutes. But it really sounds so wonderfully familiar and still new, Shore returning to his sound of Middle Earth with undiminished ingenuity. All the dissonant and harsher sensibilities are here but also the lyricism, the orchestrational skill and nuance and spirit of LotR. The choral writing really reminds me of LotR and the Nature material in tone if not in directly in thematic material.

The opening choral measures really harken back to the Nature material (in tone, not thematically). What I love is the diversity in this once piece, but I doubt it'll be representative of the whole score. I think the only major difference in tone is that where LotR was more graceful to produce that archaic sound, this score will be more dynamic (as heard in the rhythmic and choral work here).

I'm trying to take a guess at any potential recurring thematic ideas that might be present in the track (Doug's mysterious hints had me going). I believe 0:38 is a possible motif a la Nature's Reclamation (although its actual use in context is impossible to guess). I think the opening fiddle motif could either be a skewed variation of Radagast's possible thematic material. 2:56 - 3:38 is classic LotR dissonance.

I'm really loving when the children's choir joins in the end. I'm still trying to wonder what's being scored here. Something to do with spiders attacking Radagast, or the old wizard learning something about the "darkness" in the forest.

Something along those lines, yes. Although the fiddle music is still a bit dark for a character's oddities. I think one of those motifs will be associated with the settling shadow in Mirkwood.

No, e.g. the music for the early Black Riders scenes in FotR is full of smaller subtler percussion, not perhaps as sharply tapping as in the preview track for Hobbit though.

Shore has used a great variety of percussion in subtle ways. The Ent music is full of such subtle accents.

Well to me it sounds like violin (or as we say, fiddle) or viola. And it really sounds clear and dynamic indeed. Did John Kurlander record this one?

EDIT

Ah it seems Simon Rhodes is the scoring mixer (someone else mentioned this in the above posts). I have to admit he does a pretty good job here.

Yea, Chamber of Secrets sounds amazing, of course that is helped by a spectacular performance by the LSO

Well to me it sounds like violin (or as we say, fiddle) or viola.

I thought there was a difference between a violin and a fiddle?

the former is the used in orchestras and the other in folk (though the fiddle can be used with the orchestra)

Fiddle = gipsy violin?

Well to me it sounds like violin (or as we say, fiddle) or viola.

I thought there was a difference between a violin and a fiddle?

the former is the used in orchestras and the other in folk (though the fiddle can be used with the orchestra)

Fiddle = gipsy violin?

Short answer = A violin can be a fiddle but not all fiddles are violins.

Longer - A fiddle is a catch-all term for bowed string instrument that can include violins, violas, and other medieval instruments that are the ancestor's of today's instruments.

So, which specific instrument is taking the lead in the Radagast track?

And what the heck is making the cool percussion sounds?

So, which specific instrument is taking the lead in the Radagast track?

It's likely a viola being fiddled with.

is there a difference between a clssical orchestra voilin and a folk violin... (as for example fiddler on the roof?)

It's all in the style of playing. Instruments like "Gypsy violins" are really just violins but played in the gypsy style. But there are specialty instruments like the Hardanger fiddle, which is different from a classical orchestra violin.

And what the heck is making the cool percussion sounds?

I heard a wood block and finger cymbals in there...the rest could be a combination of other things or a specialty instrument.

Just went to Adams' blog and caught some interesting bits.

In the comments section:

Walter: >>>This might be a bit late, seeing as the first trailer came out so long ago, but I was wondering if anyone else had considered parallels between the central, "heroic journey" kind of theme heard in that trailer and the themelet "The Journey There" from LotR? Does anyone think there's a connection?>>>

Doug: You might be on to something. ;)

Doug: I'm telling you, folks, you will want to read [my] book very closely before Hobbit time! It pays to invest oneself in the details ...

So for all those doubting Shore's return to Middle-Earth, it seems pretty clear that the composer will stay very loyal to his magnum opus. And he seems to be thematically building off even the smallest of details in LotR. I expected nothing less of him of course. But considering how some people here were freaking out with the Radagast clip, some folks may need reassurance.

Just as tedious and narcoleptic as I expected.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Like yourself?

Grow up.

I'm really genuinely stunned that you call this Hobbit track tedious, but consider Skyfall a great score.