Christopher Young - Sinister (Varese OST Oct 9 / Oct 30)

Jay

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

SINISTER

Music Composed by

Christopher Young

(The Grudge, Ghost Rider, Hellraiser)

SINISTER is a frightening new thriller from the producer of the PARANORMAL ACTIVITY films and the writer-director of THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE. Ethan Hawke plays a true crime novelist who discovers a box of mysterious, disturbing home movies that plunge his family into a nightmarish experience of supernatural horror.

Composer Christopher Young — veteran of such horror classics as The Grudge, Ghost Rider and Hellraiser — adds an epic opus to his long list of terrifying classics.

Summit Entertainment opens SINISTER nationwide on October 12.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 173 2

Release Date: 10/16/12

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1073/Sinister/Detail

It's October. No better way to begin the month that with a first look at Christopher Young's latest horror creation - SINISTER!

CD coming October 30

iTunes release October 9

Film opens October 12

69057_537962702883841_1134045059_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=537962702883841&set=a.303872309626216.90064.100000103483647&type=1

Track list and back cover art now posted

a20791613a1d1ff6fb97f7_l.jpg

a20791613a1d208b3313e0_l.jpg

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

SINISTER

Music Composed by

Christopher Young

(The Grudge, Ghost Rider, Hellraiser)

SINISTER is a frightening new thriller from the producer of the PARANORMAL ACTIVITY films and the writer-director of THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE. Ethan Hawke plays a true crime novelist who discovers a box of mysterious, disturbing home movies that plunge his family into a nightmarish experience of supernatural horror.

Composer Christopher Young — veteran of such horror classics as The Grudge, Ghost Rider and Hellraiser — adds an epic opus to his long list of terrifying classics.

Summit Entertainment opens SINISTER nationwide on October 12.

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 173 2

Release Date: 10/30/12

Track List:

1. Portrait Of Mr. Boogie (6:55)

2. Never Go In Dad’s Office (4:47)

3. Levantation (3:51)

4. The Horror In The Canisters (4:12)

5. My Sick Piano (6:06)

6. Rot Not, Want Not (3:34)

7. Don’t Worry Daddy, I’ll Make You Famous Again (:55)

8. Millimeter Music (3:20)

9. Pollock Type Pain (2:47)

10. The Eater Of Children (4:49)

11. Sinister (4:24)

12. Sin Sister Sweet (Suite from the Sinister film score) (9:37)

13. Sinister Remix (The Rite Of Left)* (5:29)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1073/Sinister/Detail

The lack of orchestra bothers me. Likely a budgetary or creative decision on the filmmaker's part, but a Young horror score without live players seems inconceivable.

I'm not going to dismiss it completely until I hear it, but I'm wary.

I heard the score is little more than an exercise in sound design. I don't think I'll be getting this one then.

Or you could step out of your comfort zone and give it a listen, hmm?

Young's Haunted Summer is great and I don't think there's any orchestra in there. Plus his horror scores get a lot of praise, combining the two can only be good, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Heard the score in the film... not really impressed. It works well in the film, but I really question why the movie warranted a CD release. It's not Gothic or spine-tingling as Young's superior Hellraiser, Grudge and Species score -- it's atonal white noise IMO.

It would be a great background soundscape for a Halloween haunted house, for scaring unsuspecting trick-or-treaters.

The lack of orchestra bothers me. Likely a budgetary or creative decision on the filmmaker's part, but a Young horror score without live players seems inconceivable.

I'm not going to dismiss it completely until I hear it, but I'm wary.

Listen to his unused demo material for Scenes of the Crime/A Child's Game. Very memorable score, and (I believe) entirely on synths.

• 9 months later...

I just watched Sinister last night and I was very attentive to the score because I was eager to hear what kind of material Young provided, especially after remembering what's been said in this thread. It was a highly effective score and significantly enhanced the mood and action of the film, particularly the crazy sound design of the 8mm snuff films that Ethan Hawke watches.

Any of Young's symphonic epics like Hellraiser, Species, The Core, The Fly II or even Drag Me To Hell wouldn't have worked in Sinister. He knew better that by providing an experimental exercise in structured chaos, the score would compliment the on-screen psychological frenzy and leave the audience unsettled. As a result, I noticed the score has received a lot of recognition among horror fans that I haven't regularly encountered in the genre fanbase.

That said, I'd never listen to what I heard in the film on album - and I'm a big fan of Goldsmith's more deranged works like Coma, Magic, The Omen and Poltergeist. There's just something about Jerry's works where no matter how unhinged his music seems to get, it's almost as if you feel his warm presence winking at you that it's all in good fun. Young's general work is usually like that too, but not Sinister!

Didn't I read somewhere that only a small portion of the CD is the actual score used in the film, and the rest of it is all stuff recorded just for the album?