Lalo Schifrin

Melange

Does anyone know the correct way to pronounce his name?

My guess has always been - "Lah-low Shifrin". Is that correct or laughably incorrect?

[media=]

My guess has always been - "Lah-low Shifrin". Is that correct or laughably incorrect?

He probably just says it as Lalo Shifrin. With the a being an a and the o being an o. No need to add more vowels,

"With the a being an a and the o being an o."

You really don't know how to offer pronunciation guides, do you?

An "a" can be an "a" like in "lay" or like in "cat." You don't "lah" on a bed anymore than you give your "cate" some tuna and catenip.

On the question of Lay-low (long A) or Lah-lo (short A), I go with the latter.

I don't pronounce it. I just read it.

Up until now, me too. It would be nice to know exactly how he himself pronounces it, though.

:banana:

One day I rode the Star Ferry over to Hong Kong from Kowloon with this track playing in my mind.

[media=]

Granted it wasn't quite the same as a Sampan, but it did conjure up William's Afro nonetheless.

"With the a being an a and the o being an o."

You really don't know how to offer pronunciation guides, do you?.

In English, no :lol:

Como nos importa una mierda cómo pronunciarlo en la lengua nativa. :rolleyes:

I dare say his birth name -- Boris Claudio Schifrin -- is infinitely easier to pronounce.

1:49

[media=]

You anglophones are too complicated!

I wouldn't necessarily say that's the correct way, as it depends based on your own language. For example, Brits pronounce Hans as "hands" without the "d."

I don't pronounce it. I just read it.

Up until now, me too. It would be nice to know exactly how he himself pronounces it, though.

How do you read something without pronouncing it? That's like seeing without focusing.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's the correct way, as it depends based on your own language. For example, Brits pronounce Hans as "hands" without the "d."

Although that's the way Schifrin would say it, which would be the correct way. However most will simply adapt the name to the phonology of their own language, naturally. Anyway "Lalo" is very easy.

I pronounce Hans like in German. I did this before I started learning German but I didn't know then.

Looking forward to seeing him live in less than three weeks. :)

Where? :D

Looking forward to seeing him live in less than three weeks. :)

Where? :D

He's this year's guest of honour at the now annual film music concert in Vienna. Also scheduled to give a talk (and sign CDs, presumably) at the symposium attached to it.

I remember him conducting in Vienna before, must have been in the late 90s. I didn't yet know who he is back then, sadly (I learned shortly afterwards), so I didn't attend.

• 8 years later...

I just discovered the existence of this concert work that Schifrin wrote in collaboration with Ray Bradbury: Madrigals for the Space Age

It's for a choir with a narrator and piano, with Bradbury writing the original text and Schifrin writing the music.

Talk about an insane alignment of my specific interests: the second ever performance of this piece was in Los Angeles in 1976 and it was conducted by Aaron Copland with James Stewart serving as the narrator.  My favorite actor being conducted by my favorite composer!

Sadly it seems it has never been recorded.

30333891922.jpg

image.png

You guys are correct about the "Law-Low" as far as I know. Funny anecdote. My parents were acquaintances with his daughter. When they went to her wedding, I was a newborn and she thought my name was "Lake" (it's Blake). So in a weird twist of fate, here I am on the other end of things. Take that, Schifrin's!

In addition to the M:I stuff, I recommend these albums:

GONE WITH THE WAVE  (perfect as cocktail background music!)

MANNIX (re-recording)

BULLITT

THERE'S A WHOLE LALO SCHIFRIN GOIN' ON (what a great title, btw!)

DIRTY HARRY

The JEAN MICHEL BERNARD PLAYS LALO SCHIFRIN album is pretty neat too.

• 6 months later...