John Williams wins 2 Classic UK awards, including Lifetime Achievment

indy4

A friend of mine attended the ceremony last night and here's his summary:

As well as John Williams being awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award, he also won in the catagory of Best Composer for his work on War Horse and TinTin.

There were two musical tributes payed to Williams in last night's ceremony - Nicola Benedetti played the theme from Schindlers List and the London Chamber Orchestra played a medley of William's most famous scores.

It is a shame that despite many efforts by the organisers to encourage Williams to attend the event, he politely declined. However, there were two filmed acceptance speeches that were shown which were probably filmed at his home. A truncated version of the ceremony is being transmitted by ITV on Sunday evening.

A friend of mine attended the ceremony last night and here's his summary:

As well as John Williams being awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award, he also won in the catagory of Best Composer for his work on War Horse and TinTin.

Wow--so he beat out non-film composers with two film scores? That's great that they aren't suffering from the classical vs film music elitism!

all done. Hope its okay. Sorry its a recording off a phone.

Thanks for posting this, welshslider. I'd gone up the stairs to Bedfordshire long before Williams received his lifetime achievement award. There is a nice clip on YouTube of Nicola Benedetti playing the theme from Schindler's List earlier in the evening, just before Williams received the award for best composer (for the record, he was up against Ennio Morricone and Paul Mealor). Unfortunately the video stops before the award 'presentation', but it's worth watching anyway.

[media=]

By the way, the whole programme is available to view on ITV Player at http://www.itv.com/i.../?Filter=326279, but I am not sure if viewers outside the British Empire will be able to view it.

It is a shame that despite many efforts by the organisers to encourage Williams to attend the event, he politely declined.

Impliment Operation Willy, I say, the extradtion order of Mr John Williams from the U.S to the UK for questioning in relation to music.