3. The Empire Strikes Back

4. Raiders of the Lost Ark

5. Superman

6. E.T.

7. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

8. Jurassic Park

9. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

10. Hook

[Wojo] Then why did you number them 1 through 10, thus placing them in a particular order? [/Wojo]

So I knew I had ten instead of 9 or 11?

Once we reach the cutoff date and I begin compiling the lists together I will assign each top film on each list 10 point. 2nd will get 9, and so on. The 10th film on the list will score 1 point.

Whoops! Joey did make this a weighted list, like confidence points on a football pool. Good catch, Koray, it pays to be nebby.

I've always found Superman to be overrated, both score and movie. They are both great from the opening through to the end of the Fortress of Solitude sequence, then both get kinda boring to me. I've found most that LOVE the film and score saw it for the first time on the big screen in 1978 when they were young. I never saw it until the late 80s on pan and scan VHS and was never impressed. But the first third of the score is indeed sublime!

1. E.T.

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

4. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

5. The Empire Strikes Back

6. Jane Eyre

7. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

8. Jaws

9. Hook

10. Jurassic Park

35 lists so far, thanks,

some of you, not naming names, Bloodboal, are commenting but not providing a list. if you have time to comment then you have time to provide your list.

btw, Superman is in no way shape or form overrated. It's often underrated and underappreciated by too many on this board. Of course John used more than one note for the theme which is more than people can handle.

Somedays Superman is my no.1. The whole thing.

It changes. Just lately I've decided Raiders, the sweep and downright stature of the thing, is deserving of my uttermost respect and reverence. Next month it might be Star Wars again.

KM sent me this list in an pm. Thanks King Mark.

1-The Empire Strikes Back

2-Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

3-Hook

4-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

5-E.T.

6-Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

7-Raiders of the Lost Ark

8-Superman The Movie

9-Return of the Jedi

10-The Phantom Menace

Jason I sent him a pm asking him to post it, he replied back with it, he probably misundestood, either way I'm glad we have his. I was shocked to see ESB #1 on his list I tell you, SHOCKED.

1. Star Wars

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

4. Superman

5. The Poseidon Adventure

6. The Fury

7. Dracula

8. Black Sunday

9. Jaws

10. The Eiger Sanction

Wow, Black Sunday getting a ton of love in this thread so far. I had never even HEARD of the score before the FSM release, which I've only listened to maybe twice. Guess I need to check it out again

3-Hook

5-E.T.

8-Superman The Movie

9-Return of the Jedi

10-The Phantom Menace

I don't get lists like these. I mean, it's great that you love these scores, but you have three Star Wars scores and three Indiana Jones films. That would be a waste of 4 spots for me.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Images

3. Star Wars

4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

5. Hook

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

7. Jaws

8. A.I.

9. Return of the Jedi

10.JFK

3-Hook

5-E.T.

8-Superman The Movie

9-Return of the Jedi

10-The Phantom Menace

I don't get lists like these. but you have three Indiana Jones films. That would be a waste of spots for me.

Except that these 3 scores are very different.

I loved it. Its one of my favourites of his disaster scores.

I prefer Towering Inferno.

The Star Wars trilogy epitomises Williams at the peak of his powers and provides the listener with significantly more than mere "franchise representation". Each score is a wealth of musical riches and endless reminders of the Master's aptitude and authority in the realm of scoring craft. I don't even think of Star Wars anymore when I hear much of it, I just hear the LSO sounding absolutely badass under the baton of Mr Williams.

Not really, they have different tones and each has its share of great cues, but on the whole most franchises have a definitive entry that can represent it.

You don't get to pick one score from a franchise and assume it represents all the other ones...that's too easy!

I didn't mean in this list form, but generally speaking. There are certain elements you will find in each Indiana Jones scores, and each Star Wars score, etc. I meant it in a "This represents the best of what this franchise has to offer" kinda way.

I loved it. Its one of my favourites of his disaster scores.

it's not a disaster score, in any way shape or form

Koray let Km have his list, he's got a definite sense of what he likes.

Wow, Black Sunday getting a ton of love in this thread so far. I had never even HEARD of the score before the FSM release, which I've only listened to maybe twice. Guess I need to check it out again

I'm glad it does. It's a very unique entry in his career.

Karol - who is thinking of moving Jaws higher up his list

1. Star Wars (a new hope)

2. Raiders

3. ET

4. Memoirs (though admittedly, I treat the suite for cello, whiich I think is lyrically breathtaking, as from the score)

5. Home Alone

6. Born on the Fourth

7. Harry Potter and SS

8. The Fury

9. Schindler's List

10. Tintin (brilliant orchestra fun that is pure and vibrant is never unoriginal)

I've always found Superman to be overrated, both score and movie. They are both great from the opening through to the end of the Fortress of Solitude sequence, then both get kinda boring to me.

I'm glad that someone else on this board thinks that too. There are some fairly good pieces on the score but a lot of it just drags. Other wise I would have it on my iPhone.

I know this is sacrilege when someone mentions what I'm about to but this is MY personal taste regarding this issue.

I personally enjoy the score for Superman Returns more. Not one note of the score bores me, and I have listened to it more times than the original Superman score, A LOT more. Again, as I said this is just strictly my own personal taste.

3-Hook

5-E.T.

8-Superman The Movie

9-Return of the Jedi

10-The Phantom Menace

I don't get lists like these. I mean, it's great that you love these scores, but you have three Star Wars scores and three Indiana Jones films. That would be a waste of 4 spots for me.

Wrong! His list is great. You probably should relisten to the Starwars and Indiana Jones scores. :yes:

I think TESB is overrated, I listen to the The Asteroid field, the rest just bores me, its just: Yoda music, Imperial March, Yoda music. over. and over. I prefer TPM, its just got this joyfulness to the action music, not a dull note.

This is strictly my opinion.

(really, all scores have something that is a problem)

3-Hook

5-E.T.

8-Superman The Movie

9-Return of the Jedi

10-The Phantom Menace

Wrong! His list is great. You probably should relisten to the Starwars and Indiana Jones scores. :yes:

I never said it wasn't it. It's obviously all a matter of personal taste.

Not to clutter up Joey's thread but the top 6 in my list will never change. They may change order but those 6 are cemented in my mind as his best.

Coming up with 4 more was difficult, I could have easily added The Empire Strikes Back, Home Alone, The Towering Inferno, War Horse, The Accidental Tourist, The Cowboys, Schindler's List, The Fury or Jane Eyre.

I went back to revisit Superman, prior to the summer and was just amazed at the wealth of thematic material and how Williams was able to tie it all together.

I've always loved the score to Superman but perhaps I didn't listen to it with the attention it deserves.

Not to clutter up Joey's thread but the top 6 in my list will never change. They may change order but those 6 are cemented in my mind as his best.

Coming up with 4 more was difficult, I could have easily added The Empire Strikes Back, Home Alone, The Towering Inferno, War Horse, The Accidental Tourist, The Cowboys, Schindler's List, The Fury or Jane Eyre.

I went back to revisit Superman, prior to the summer and was just amazed at the wealth of thematic material and how Williams was able to tie it all together.

I've always loved the score to Superman but perhaps I didn't listen to it with the attention it deserves.

you sir have free reign