JWFAN Members Top 10 John Williams scores lists

JoeinAR

while it's obvious I am asking for more lists I am pleased by all who have participated so far. I have purposely not tried to figure anything out so it's as much a surprise to me as it can be.

I don't think I found anybody else with more than 4 scores in common with mine

I think my list has at least 5 scores in common with you, but not in the same order.

Its there....

Wait, why is your name still Roald in that thread?

0B656050-B12D-4242-9DAD-A46652A49463-4103-0000044A6D6A288F.jpg

Christ! I am losing my mind!

Sandor and Roald at the same time!!!!!

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Huh..? I don't understand it either... When I open the thread I just see Sandor yet your snapshot says differently... I'm guessing you didn't go all Photoshop on this, so it must be some kind of weird cache error on your phone...

1. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

2. Jaws

3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial

5. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

6. War Horse

7. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark

9. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

10. Jurassic Park

These will always be the ones I can listen to from start to finish.

1. Close Encounters

2. Star Wars

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark

4. The Lost World

5. HP: Prisoner of Azkaban

6. Superman The Movie

7. Memoirs Of A Geisha

8. War Horse

9. Jurassic Park

10. Angelas Ashes

I don't know... I could probably pick 10 favourite Williams scores, but I don't see how I could rank them.

as my favorite Jewish mother once said, force yourself.....

I don't know... I could probably pick 10 favourite Williams scores, but I don't see how I could rank them.

At a certain point the ranking just becomes which would you rather listen to at the moment.

1. Star Wars

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

4. Hook

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

6. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

7. Return of the Jedi

8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

9. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

10. Home Alone

That may be the problem. I've listened to all my favourite Williams scores so often, I can barely bring myself to play them these days. I've perhaps listened to the Star Wars and Indy scores twice in the last few years, and E.T. and JP not at all.

as my favorite Jewish mother once said, force yourself.....

And may the Force be with you... (Sorry, can't help myself...) :wink:

1. Superman: The Movie

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. E.T.

4. Raiders of the Lost Ark

5. Star Wars

6. Jaws

7. Close Encounters

8. Temple of Doom

9. Hook

10. Tintin

My rankings have been fairly consistent at the top 3-4. The bottom 6-7 of the top ten shift all the time.

List I came up with yesterday:

1. Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Star Wars

3. Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

4. Star Wars Return of the Jedi

5. The Lost World

6. Raiders of the Lost Ark

7. Images

8. Seven Years in Tibet

9. War Horse

10. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

And List I Had Come up With in 2007:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Star Wars

3. Empire Strikes Back

4. Return of the Jedi

5. ET

7. Far and Away

8. The Phantom Menace

9. The Last Crusade

10. Jane Eyre

Top 3 List I came up with in 2008:

1. Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban

2. Star Wars

3. Empire Strikes Back

1) The Empire Strikes Back

2) Superman

3) E.T.

4) Far and Away

5) Raiders of the Lost Ark

6) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

7) Schindler's List

8) Home Alone

9) Born on the Fourth of July

10) Revenge of the Sith

Haven´t post in a long time (but I enter the site and enjoy reading you guys everyday :), but this deserve it!

1) Empire Strikes Back

2) Star Wars

3) E.T.

4) Superman

5) Raiders of the Lost Ark

6) Revenge of the Sith

7) Return of the Jedi

8) Temple of Doom

9) War Horse

10) Home Alone

Basically I love his 77-84 period (big scores with a lot of leitmotives :P) and I am a Star Wars and Indy fanatic.

I'm trying to reduce the list to 10 and it's killing me.

It doesn't help that there are score that I feel I'm not familiar enough with them to make fair comparisons.

I think I'll just try to find 10 to skew a bit the results towards music I happen to like.

I hate myself for doing this, because whatever ranked top 10 I write down I can't really agree with myself, but right now this is the best I can do:

1. The Fury

2. CE3K

3. ESB

4. Star Wars

5. Jurassic Park

6. Indy 3

7. Hook

8. HPPS

9. Jane Eyre

10. Jaws

Finally! Someone else who recognizes the amazing of Azkaban!

It should be on the list. But I had only room for one Potter score, and considering that PS is more internally consistent AND also contains about twice as much first rate material as the (long) album, whereas I only remember missing little bits and pieces, POA had to go. Arguably, it would still rank one place behind PS, but drop Jaws for that? Nah.

Don't thank me - I had to kick E.T. off the list to shorten it to 10. ;) I'm not happy about that.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer LC to Raiders? I was that way when I joined the board, but over the time I've switched. I'm worried the MB's preferences may be influencing mine.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer LC to Raiders? I was that way when I joined the board, but over the time I've switched. I'm worried the MB's preferences may be influencing mine.

I don't, generally. I had both on my list and had to kick off one. I decided to throw out Raiders for two reasons: 1) I expect (not having read the earlier pages of this thread - lazy) that Raiders will be getting more votes anyway, and where in doubt, I chose the underdog, and 2) LC is less focused on the Indy theme. These days I far more often want to listen to all these Williams classics than I can actually bring myself to do it, simply because I've heard them all so often. But it's still easier to listen to a score with more evenly distributed themes.

Azkaban, TPM and War Horse are the JW masterpieces from the 1993-today period with PoA being the best of the bunch and all three having a place in my top 10 list.

Of course TLW, AI, RotS and HP1 are right on their tails ;)

Okay . . . so while we're waiting for the last few lists to trickle in, I want to throw out a bit of discussion fodder to fill time until the big event:

Without naming anyone or pointing to a specific list—just broadly speaking—which score were you most surprised to see on one or more lists? Why?

For me, I'd say it's The Lost World. Like the book and the movie, it seemed cobbled together quickly in order to get it out where it could make a few extra bucks. That's not to say I think it's awful music, but certainly nothing that would come within ten miles of a Top 10 list. I've never even been able to connect with the main theme, much less the rest of it.

- Uni

The Lost World is one of those wonderful emotionally unbiased scores to me (in the same vein as Star Trek The Motion Picture, and even Star Wars in many regards).

That's not to say it lacks emotional payload, just that it's very carefully balanced in the emotions it conveys. Combine it with a fresh sound for the maestro and some nifty orchestration, and it's hard not to love it.

Totally disagree with you about The Lost World! It was a contender for my top 10 for sure. The OST presentation is not ideal, completely changing the order of things so themes and ideas build in a different way... but the complete score (at least what we can hear from DVD rips) is awesome. Might be my #1 most wanted complete score release now with all the recent leaks.

I listen to the Lost World and I think Earthquake, an underrated score if there is one, and Lost World simply works on so many levels, without the jazzy sounds John used prior.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. E.T.

3. Hook

4. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

5. Return of the Jedi

7. Jurassic Park

8. The Phantom Menace

9. Superman - The Movie

10. Far And Away