JWFAN Members Top 10 John Williams scores lists

JoeinAR

I wondered when we'd see a little 7 Years. It didn't make my Top 10, but I figured it would appear with reasonable frequency on others. (Guess I was wrong. . . .)

- Uni

Ups i forgot!

1. Jurassic Park

2. Return of the Jedi

3. Last Crusade

4. Empire strikes Back

5. Crystal Skull

6. Temple of doom

7. Star Wars

8. ET the extra terrestrial

9. Schindler's list

10. Memoirs of a Geisha

better late than never! right now it looks like this:

1. heart.gif The Terminal heart.gif

2. Home Alone

3. HP - Prisoner of Azkaban

4. E.T.

5. War Horse

6. HP - Sorcerer's Stone

7. Empire of the Sun

8. Hook

9. Angela's Ashes

10. Star Wars

Wow. This has to be one of the most unique lists I've seen yet. Very interesting. . . .

- Uni

Taste... sheer taste... She's just not fooled by fireworks like the rest of us.

2. Home Alone

4. E.T.

5. War Horse

6. HP - Sorcerer's Stone

7. Empire of the Sun

8. Hook

9. Angela's Ashes

10. Star Wars

Wow. This has to be one of the most unique lists I've seen yet. Very interesting. . . .

- Uni

Or, like most of us, she has her own unique taste. She has some nice scores on there. As does everyone.

And how, exactly, did Williams "fool" us?

Occasionally, things that are widely regarded as brilliant are, in fact, brilliant. Even a cursory glance at a list of William's scores shows that some of the more well-loved titles are also among his best. Dismissing them as "fireworks" doesn't make them less so, and the suggestion that those who love those scores were "fooled" by them is frankly a little insulting (I'm sure you didn't meant it as such), especially on a forum dedicated to that composer's work.

2. Home Alone

4. E.T.

5. War Horse

6. HP - Sorcerer's Stone

7. Empire of the Sun

8. Hook

9. Angela's Ashes

10. Star Wars

- Uni

Or, like most of us, she has her own unique taste. She has some nice scores on there. As does everyone.

And how, exactly, did Williams "fool" us?

Occasionally, things that are widely regarded as brilliant are, in fact, brilliant. Even a cursory glance at a list of William's scores shows that some of the more well-loved titles are also among his best. Dismissing them as "fireworks" doesn't make them less so, and the suggestion that those who love those scores were "fooled" by them is frankly a little insulting (I'm sure you didn't meant it as such), especially on a forum dedicated to that composer's work.

Humour. It is a difficult concept.

Yes you should!

...and John Williams has done it again!

I don't think I've ever heard a comedy score as dramatic, musically vibrant or colourful as this one. The Terminal is fantastic.

He did say "the rest of us"—not "the rest of you." That's what led me to assume it was a bit of self-depricative joking.

- Uni

He did say "the rest of us"—not "the rest of you." That's what led me to assume it was a bit of self-depricative joking.

- Uni

Well, I did get the self-depricative part anyway. :)

But it is interesting, because when I made my own list, I kind of said "huh"? It just felt so...typical. All the usual scores that everyone regards highly..and let's face it most of these lists share about 70% of the same scores. So I understand the desire to put something different on there (I tried to find a way to sneak Dracula in, but in good conscience I couldn't put it higher than any of the scores I listed, as much as I like it), but when I think about the scores, I have to admit that the more "commonly" highly regarded ones really are among the best. Admittedly, however, it does make for a more boring list.

I know exactly what you mean. Something's tugging at you inside, whispering in your ear that you're picking the same stuff everyone else is. But then you remind yourself that you're not making these choices because other people like them too; you're doing it because they're your favorites. The fact that so many hold a "core" set of scores in such high regard isn't a sign of plagiarism. It means they're excellent scores, and everyone (well—most folks, anyway) knows it.

- Uni

Humour. It is a difficult concept.

:yes:

KK, you have a tendency to say this a lot, and it always makes me laugh out loud.

And it's been quoted to no end here at JWFan. I'm not even a Trekkie, but I suppose every member has to use it from time to time ;)

I only heard it for the first time today.

Why didnt I buy this 8 years ago?

at least you now know.

I really think we should do a top 25 list like this as well. I'd have a bunch of tracks that weren't in my top 10 albums make an appearance.

You mean the Top 25 tracks? I'd volley another vote for that as well (though I think we should wait until the process on the Top 10 scores list is finished).

- Uni

I'm really looking forward to the results. Thanks for doing it again after 10 years, Joey!

Ditto

(Y) (Y) (Y)

Probably the only thing I am still interested in this forum. And maybe if someone will make the favorite 25 tracks or even 25 scores, since

I had to left out so many precious scores from the top 10 list.

Next week(Friday) is the 81st birthday for John. I post my result sometimes next week as OUR gift to the man. I really found somethings to be interesting this time around.

Who will be the poster/s? with the most of the final top 10?

Who will be the poster with the least or none of the final top 10?

Stay tuned. Same Bat time, same Bat channel!

1. Hook
  2. Jurassic Park
  3. War Horse
  4. Lincoln
  5. Jaws
  6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  7. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
  8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  9. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
  10. Amistad

Just so you know, I got Nick, Luke, Cmoll and Brenn factored in too.

how dare you!

hehehe... that would be cool. but I'd say I have at least 3 of the final top 10 in my list. I'm sure someone has less than that.

did you post your list, btw?

It's in here somewhere, but I have to warn you, I'm sure it's nowhere near as interesting as yours. ;)

Just so you know, I got Nick, Luke, Cmoll and Brenn factored in too.

Gratitude.

Joe, is the list and its results on a different thread?

By your avatar and explanation in other thread i thought you had already posted them, but looking in this thread it doesnt seem so.

Awaiting the results :)

• 7 months later...

1. A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

2. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

3. E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL

4. JURASSIC PARK

5. IMAGES

6. NIXON

7. BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY

8. STAR WARS: EPISODE VI: THE RETURN OF THE JEDI

9. INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE

10. EMPIRE OF THE SUN