Perseverance Records re-issuing The Witches Of Eastwick OST (La-La Land Records can make expanded version once it sells out)

Jay

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

Brillant idea! I can add 30 copies of Silent Hill in my cart but only 26 of Witches of Eastwick:

image.png

So that's good news then?

So is that the last 25 copies or will there be another 1000?

Still 1000 to go, I guess. 

On the bright side, if their licence was "only" ten years then it expires in a couple of months. Hopefully they just won't be able to print or sell the remaining units. 

On another note... seeing as I'm clearly insane and have nothing better to do with my life, I re-read every page of this thread and saw a lot of angst around the "Slipstream fiasco," and plenty of negativity towards Perseverance as a label.

I have no idea what any of that is about. Can anyone surmise with a TL;DR summary?

Apparently they didn't secure all necessary rights and released an illegal product, as far as I recall.

https://theseconddisc.com/2011/04/28/keeping-score-on-a-soundtrack-label-controversy/

Perseverance merely secured publishing rights and acquired the master tapes (which, along with much of the composer’s work, resides in the library at the University of Southern California) without securing the other necessary rights.

47 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Apparently they didn't secure all necessary rights and released an illegal product, as far as I recall.

https://theseconddisc.com/2011/04/28/keeping-score-on-a-soundtrack-label-controversy/

Yikes, very underhanded. Bypassing all the legalities the other labels spend years navigating (at great cost, no doubt).

On 10/10/2012 at 6:58 AM, Jay said:

• Grab it while you can. Once they sell out, and this one may sell faster than the previous reissues, we won't be making anymore. Our deal with Warner is for a few years so it may not see the light of day again.

9 years too long, AFAIC.

Robin certainly has a funny definition of "a few years."

As I see it, the situation ain't good.

If suddenly their remaining copies start to sell quickly, it'll show Perseverance that there's still interest in the score and will make they print more copies and maybe even renew their license with WB.

But, if the sales remain slow, it will take a lot of years to sell everything, and who knows what may happen in the future.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A few = ten?

Yeah, my [wishful] thinking is 10 years. Nobody describes twenty years as "a few years," and I can't see WB granting a licence for that long anyway.

That said, re-reading this thread, Perseverance made some perplexing comments over the last 9 years warning people that stock was nearly exhausted and wouldn't return... only for another thousand units to turn up.

Really bizarre behavior. Just be transparent with your customers; we're a niche audience, and we're not idiots.

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm glad I got the original OST release a long time ago.

Same here. I don't remember how I got it -- might have been my Japanese collector connection at the time. Because it was at a time when it hadn't yet been reissued, and was going for big bucks on the secondary market.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was one of the most expensive soundtracks I purchased secondhand on eBay, about 15-20 years ago. I think I paid about 200 NOK.

That's not too bad. Almost a bargain at that time when so many of Williams 80s soundtracks were fetching lots of money secondhand (TEMPLE OF DOOM, THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, SPACE CAMP etc.).

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's not too bad. Almost a bargain at that time when so many of Williams 80s soundtracks were fetching lots of money secondhand (TEMPLE OF DOOM, THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, SPACE CAMP etc.).

Yeah, I think I paid a similar price for Temple and/or Raiders, and possibly Jaws 2.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

In 2001, I saw a Japanese second-hand CD of SPACECAMP selling for (I shit you not) £199.

I did not buy it.

I bought the OST in LP when the movie came out and I was eine with it. Later I got the CD bootleg (allowed to say here?) with the complete score and some alternates.

But still this would be an expansion of my dreams. It is one of my all time favourite Williams scores. 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

If memory serves, the boot of TWOE is a rip from the iso 5.1 score on the DVD. It contains both versions of The Destruction Of Darryl, and it has a good, clean sound.

Right. And it contains two alternates of the Ballroom Scene. It just has the disadvantage that in at least in point the volume gets unnaturally lower when there has to be room for dialogue.

There's never been a leak of any TWOE music. All "bootleg"s are just fan edits that combine the OST, iso score, and Kunzel re-recording in different ways

2 hours ago, Jay said:

There's never been a leak of any TWOE music. All "bootleg"s are just fan edits that combine the OST, iso score, and Kunzel re-recording in different ways

Gotcha. And the only known alternates would be the ones that differ on album to the film?

I see there's a cue list available.

On 10/12/2011 at 6:56 AM, Jay said:

Incanus, I converted your list to the traditional "m" format

1. 1m1 The Township of Eastwick

2. 2m2 It's Raining

3. 2m3 Darryl's Entrance

4. 2m4 Must Have Been Dreaming

5. 3m1 Dropped Flower Pot

6. 3m2 Shop Lady Forgets

7. 3m4 What's In a Name

8. 4m1The Seduction of Alex

9. Dvorák No. 1

10. 4m2b Felicia in Hospital

11. 4m3a Suki Buys Flowers

12. Dvorák No. 2

13. 6m2 The Tennis Game

14. 7m2 The Seduction of Suki

15. 7m3 The Balloon Scene

16. 7m2a Felicia Flips

17. 8m3 Have A Cherry!

18. 9m1 Have Another Cherry!

19. 8m3 The Earth Erupts

20. 9m1 Darryl in the Rain

21. 10m2 The Reconciliation

22. 11m? Maleficio

23. 10m2 Inflicting Pain

24. 10m1 Relief for Suki

25. 10m4 Playing in the Kitchen

26. 11m1 Sticking Pins

27. 11m2 Darryl Chokes

28. 11mX "I Wish I Knew" The Wild Ride Home

29. ?m? The Destruction of Darryl

Anyone want to do the work of lining this up with OST and bootleg tracks?

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Gotcha. And the only known alternates would be the ones that differ on album to the film?

Right and some boots label the Kunzel recording as an "alternate" 

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I see there's a cue list available.

That's a list of what's included in the sheet music leak

This thread has good posts from Incanus figuring out what's what

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20741-rebuilding-the-filmographies-section-of-the-main-page-week-4-witches-of-eastwick/e

Personnaly I love the OST, and I personnaly ripped the isolated score from my own DVD... to find that the guy who'll make the expansion will have to scratch his head a bit! There are source cues, sometimes combined with original compositions...  Good luck with that!

For the little twerps who never saw the movie, let's just say that Sarandon's character plays the cello in an orchestra, and that Nicholson, the Devil himself, plays the violin with her in one steamy scene!

image.png