Perseverance Records re-issuing The Witches Of Eastwick OST (La-La Land Records can make expanded version once it sells out)

Jay

The classical piece we hear in that movie "key scene" is the Cello Concerto in B minor (Allegro) written by Antonín Dvorák.

The Nessun Dorma version we hear, is a previously released version, well I think (Mehta and Pavarotti).

Only to say that, remove the source music from the score and some parts will be missing.

That's what I said: good luck with that!

Do you just mean we'll hear the score and it may not sound how people are used to because the source isn't there? That's a fact of life for score fans.

As soon as you're in the realm of source music, or any sort of non-score material, a producer is in an unwinnable position.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Surely an expansion would solve that just by ignoring the source music and presenting the score as written. Like Intrada did with Tension; The Kiss from BTTF.

Nope it's not like that. Williams' music is a continuation of the classical piece, they're not layed over one another.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Surely an expansion would solve that just by ignoring the source music and presenting the score as written. Like Intrada did with Tension; The Kiss from BTTF.

I still hate that they completely omitted iconic unique music arranged and recorded specifically for the movie with unreleased film mix elements. Not that T; T K shouldn't have also been included separately, but what the hell. And then they reissue it by nixing half the material. And even that second disc included badly performed early takes like Clocktower instead of later at least somewhat refined ones (surely with an entire day dedicated to it they got better?).

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Williams' music is a continuation of the classical piece, they're not layed over one another.

Does JW's material pick up from a stock/licensed recording or did he rerecord it himself? In the latter case the solution obviously has to be its inclusion.

It is like the A.I. situation, where a non-Williams piece is integrated into a Williams piece in a way, so that it just doesn't make sense to omit the "source music" part which is, in fact, not even source music.

The boot cuts the non-Williams part out and we have an ugly fade in there.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's not like T; TK isn't available as a combo... it's on the OST.

Nope, that's the straight full song without the film guitar. And even then the Intrada would be lacking music recorded specifically for the film, T; TK was never meant to be a straight film cue but a partial overlay.

All that is assuming that they were legally/financially able to use something by another artist. They said at the time that their costs were 'enormous', so maybe only Silvestri-composed material was on the table in order to make the project doable at all.

31 minutes ago, Holko said:

And then they reissue it by nixing half the material. And even that second disc included badly performed early takes like Clocktower instead of later at least somewhat refined ones (surely with an entire day dedicated to it they got better?).

They reissued it as a single disc as they hit their maximum units on the original release, but wanted to keep the score in print somehow.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9907/.f?sc=13&category=21780

Due to the incredible popularity of that original release (which sold the maximum number of units allowable under license and is now out-of-print), Intrada is proud to offer, in cooperation with Universal Pictures, a follow-up release containing just the contents of the first disc in that set, which features the score as heard in the film.

22 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

They reissued it as a single disc as they hit their maximum units on the original release, but wanted to keep the score in print somehow.

Doesn't mean that I have to like that they took the shortest cut and released a dexpansion. How many other reissues came out with less material?

I'm currently reworking my DVD rip, now that I almost master the compression tool in Audacity... My previous work on that rip was not at my taste.

If I remember well, there's ALOT, but I mean ALOT of micro music cues.

Again, I say: Good luck with that!

7 hours ago, Holko said:

that second disc included badly performed early takes like Clocktower instead of later at least somewhat refined ones (surely with an entire day dedicated to it they got better?).

Since it was done by MM, there must not have been anything better, or the good takes were too damaged or something

EDIT: Okay, actually MM just did "additional mastering"

On 9/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, crumbs said:

Gotcha. And the only known alternates would be the ones that differ on album to the film?

I see there's a cue list available.

There's a few things missing from that cue list, including some hints at possible alternates:

1m1 The Township of Eastwick

2m2 It's Raining

2m3 Darryl's Entrance

2m4 Must Have Been Dreaming

3m1 Dropped Flower Pot

3m2 Shop Lady Forgets

3m4 What's In a Name

4m1 The Seduction of Alex

[4m2] Dvorák No. 1

4m2b Felicia in Hospital

4m3a Suki Buys Flowers

[4m4] Dvorák No. 2

6m2 The Tennis Game

7m2 The Seduction of Suki

7m2 New Ending

7m3 The Balloon Scene

7m3 New Ending

7m2a Felicia Flips

8m3 Have A Cherry!

9m1 Have Another Cherry!

8m3 The Earth Erupts

9m1 New - Darryl in the Rain

10m2 The Reconciliation

11m1 Maleficio

10m2 Inflicting Pain

10m1 Relief for Suki

10m4 New - Playing in the Kitchen

10m4-11m1 Sticking Pins

11mAX New Start

11m2 Darryl Chokes

11mX "I Wish I Knew" The Wild Ride Home

11m4 The Destruction of Darryl

[11m4 Insert] Levitation

[12m1] The Baby's Carousel

[12mY] End Credits

Also, the City of Prague recording of the Balloon Scene matches the original 7M3, without the revised ending that's on the OST and used for the Boston Pops recording. Additionally, there's also an optional alternate extended coda included in the score of the original 7M3, so there's potentially two alternates for this cue, depending on what actually got recorded.

10m4 New - Playing in the Kitchen has previously been identified as the second half of the OST track 'Darryl Arrives', but it's much, much shorter than what's heard there, which doesn't seem to be in the sheets at all. I wonder if this was something recorded specifically for the album, especially with the splashy "concert ending". The bootleg track 'Voodoo Witches' matches the written 10m4 New.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Very cool! So this should be a decent expansion one day. How long roughly would you say the complete score is? 

Somewhere around 70 minutes, I'd say. One CD is probably enough, unless there's a significant amount of material missing from the sheets.

I also just realized 'Levitation', though it oddly has no cue number attached, appears to be an insert for 'The Destruction of Daryl' and accounts for that alternate version. The OST has 11m4 as written, and the film version has a middle section replaced with 'Levitation'.

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=145419&forumID=1&archive=0

Perseverance has moved

to Colorado. The new address is

2525 Loon Circle
Castle Rock, CO 80104

Email, Web and phone stay the same.

We love it here.

Hopefully their entire remaining stock of WoE was lost in transit and therefore their license expires....  ;)

• 3 months later...

The only references to it I found on their website are this:

"August 03, 2015
Witches of Eastwick Soon to be OOP!
Our 50th release has 5 copies left. Once they are gone, they are gone. Sigh!"

https://perseverancerecords.com/78-witches-of-eastwick-soon-to-be-oop.html

"August 15, 2018
Two of Our Best Selling WEA Titles are Back in Stock
Don't worry, we still stand by our promise that these titles will see a pressing of only 3000 units. So far we are at 2000 (once this new batch sells out). 

First off is John Williams' Aademy Award nominated score to "The Witches of Eastwick". Secondly, the highly successful soundtrack to the scariest movie of all time, William Friedkin's "The Exorcist". 

Dig in. And, while you're at it, browse through or Used/ open/ one-of-a-kind/ promo catalog listings. "

https://perseverancerecords.com/217-two-of-our-best-selling-wea-titles-are-back-in-stock.html

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So they'll soon announce the final batch, or their license has expired.

Let’s hope it the later! They’ve had this score locked down for a decade, and I’d love to see what La-La Land or Intrada could do with it.

Releases don’t always coincide with anniversaries, but this does happen to be the 35th anniversary of the original release of The Witches of Eastwick.

The press release also mentions their deal with WB to reissue the score was for "a few years." Come October this year, it's been a decade. 

So maybe it was a ten year licence and it expired when we rolled into 2022, before they sold out of their allocation?

We can hope... 

25 minutes ago, crypto said:

The press release also mentions their deal with WB to reissue the score was for "a few years." Come October this year, it's been a decade. 

They probably meant to write a few decades...

I did a complete breakdown of the OST on another thread: 

Here’s what’s unreleased that could potentially be included on a future expansion (and I hope the time is finally ripe!):

2M2 It’s Raining 0:30 [unused]

2M4 Must Have Been Dreaming 1:00 [unused]

3M1 Dropped Flower Pot 0:10 [unused]

3M2 Shop Lady Forgets 0:34 [bootleg track 3]
3M4 What’s In A Name 1:58 [bootleg track 4]

[4M2A] Dvorak No. 1 0:45 [bootleg track 6 0:00-0:23, only ending is used]

4M2B Felicia In Hospital 2:37 [bootleg track 6 0:23-end]

4M3A Suki Buys Flowers 0:45 [unused]

[4M4] Dvorak No. 2 1:00 [bootleg track 7, faded early]

7M2 New Ending 0:15 [unused]
7M2A Felicia Flips 0:53 [bootleg track 10]

7M3 The Balloon Scene 0:35 [original ending replaced by insert]

7M3 Coda (If Desired) 0:30 [optional extension to original ending]
8M3 Have A Cherry! 0:51 [bootleg track 11]
8M3 [New] The Earth Erupts 2:00 [bootleg tracks 13 and 14, partially unused]

12MA [10M1 New] Relief for Sukie 1:35 [bootleg track 17]
10M4 New - Playing in the Kitchen 0:23 [bootleg track 18]

11MAX New Start 0:15 [unused]
11M2 Darryl Chokes 0:42 [bootleg track 20]
[11M4 Insert] Levitation 1:30 [bootleg track 22 0:39-1:34, partially unused]

Approximately 18-19 minutes unreleased, depending of course on if everything was recorded. We have no way of knowing about any of the cues marked ‘unused’ yet.

• 2 months later...

4 months later and still no trace of this score being available on the Perseverance store.

Would be fantastic if their license finally expired after 10 years and LLL can progress with a new expansion!

Of course it's true. Eejit :lol:

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You mean the piece heard at the concert, or the piece that Nicholson and Sarandon play at her home?

That piece is on the iso, on the UK DVD (be aware;  the UK Blu Ray does not have the iso).

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2022 at 10:05 PM, crumbs said:

4 months later and still no trace of this score being available on the Perseverance store.

Would be fantastic if their license finally expired after 10 years and LLL can progress with a new expansion!

The problem is that now WB is difficult/much more expensive to deal with. That's why The Adventures of Batman and Robin was promised by LLL on a poster YEARS ago and still hasn't come out. Even The Swarm which came out a few years ago had been in the works for 6 years or so, I think.

Yavar