Alexandre Desplat - Rise of the Guardians (Varese OST Nov 13)

Jay

I listened to the Cinematic Sound preview of Rise of the Guardians and what i hear is fantastic! Didn't know i would say that about Desplat ;).

I say that as a very vocal critic of his Potter scores (mainly the subpar DH1). This is a whole other face and a fabulous work judging on those 20 minutes of previewed tracks.

I don't understand all this "restricted" talk regarding this score. Desplat has always been a phenomenal composer, but I guess everyone here only listened to his bland Potter scores.

No. I've been a huge fan of his for some time. But his Potter scores bored me to death and I thought it was apparent he was given a fairly strict framework from which to compose. I was merely stating how happy I am to hear this quality of music from him again. And I LOVE Golden Compass.

I don't understand all this "restricted" talk regarding this score. Desplat has always been a phenomenal composer, but I guess everyone here only listened to his bland Potter scores.

No. I've been a huge fan of his for some time. But his Potter scores bored me to death and I thought it was apparent he was given a fairly strict framework from which to compose. I was merely stating how happy I am to hear this quality of music from him again. And I LOVE Golden Compass.

But he's done so much since Potter that it shouldn't come as a surprise.

yes,I agree. The orchestrations are very nice which sets it apart from the likes of Debney,Powell...

The delicate cues are the best. The action music still sounds very generic and unfortunately so do all the brass fanfares. With Williams scores ALL transitional brass fanfares are awesome in their own right or become holy grails of unreleased music

Which Desplat? Because ROTG is hardly representative. Most of the rest is very transparently orchestrated, hence it's lukewarm reception by fans of american film music.

Which Desplat? Because ROTG is hardly representative. Most of the rest is very transparently orchestrated, hence it's lukewarm reception by fans of american film music.

Well I find that Desplat's music is oftentimes emotionally lukewarm but his orchestrations quite unique and strong. But Rise of the Guardians score has some wonderful emotional warmth to it in its best moments. As fun as the fanfaric bustle in the music is, the quieter material here has the strongest emotional resonance for me.

Because he mostly rewrites other people's music in the loud moments (Elfman, Silvestri, Debney etc.). It is good, but you still feel a bit underwhelmed by the sheer familiarity knowing how unique Desplat usually sounds.

Conrad Pope should get the credit for the orchestration here. I saw some of desplat's sketches and though he clearly knows what he's doing and is a consumite pro, it is Conrad's orch that breathes life into it and really raises it up a notch. I wonder if the film was extensively temped with silvestri and Powell hence the similarities in style.

Conrad Pope should get the credit for the orchestration here. I saw some of desplat's sketches and though he clearly knows what he's doing and is a consumite pro, it is Conrad's orch that breathes life into it and really raises it up a notch.

I think you're opening a can of worms.

• 7 years later...

Watches the movie some weeks ago and found it very entertaining, especially in 3D (excellent use of 3D!). And I liked the music, so I looked around and found a download of the complete version from the FYC site. Started listening, liking the music very much, but what it is with the horrible sound quality? Harsh and distorted in the woodwinds? After a few tracks I gave up. But since I wanted to have the music, I managed to find a reasonably priced used CD of the official soundtrack and bought it. Much better, excellent sound quality! I knew only the Potter scores from Desplat and found them not so good, so I am pleasantly surprised by this great score. Very colorful and full of surprises. Nice discovery for me. And I don't think I am missing to much from the complete soundtrack; the CD experience seems quite rounded. Footnote: I assume that the extreme similarity to the main theme from Bruckners 6th symphony is coincidental. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OflReU5RlZM&t=1m11s

Very good score.

Pope and his wife did a.great job orchestrating this .

No expansion necessary.

This is the only Desplat score I own!

On 10/19/2012 at 3:11 AM, BloodBoal said:

Only soundtrack collectors would buy a CD with such an awful cover. It makes me wish I wasn't one of them.

Definitely needs a custom cover!