At what point did Williams scores start being overcomposed and how do we feel about this?

gkgyver

how can you overcompose a 2 hour film if the said film only has around 30-40 minutes of music?

And not a single bombastic action cue....

"It has too many notes"

"It has too few notes"

"It's different to his older output"

"It's a retread of his older output"

Most of what you call "overly saccharine/sentimental" music on the Lincoln CD is not in the film, though. The film is scored appropriately, then Williams wrote and recorded a bunch of extra stuff to make an album (or so it seems).

I agree there's nothing saccharine, but sentimental maybe. But its still good music that is enjoyable to listen to. It's a fine album.

Chamber of Secrets, "Dueling the Basillisk". JW made this too "epic". It's a great action piece but it could have really gone without the choir and it's a little bit too swashbuckley for everything that came before it in the movie.

Oh, disagree there! I feel the film earned that appropriate level of epicness in that track, which I don't find particularly "swashbuckling" personally

ordered!

You mean you didn't have it pre-ordered for months? It's clear where your loyalties lies.

:crymore:

Since i dont live in the US, i pay a lot for shipping fees in amazon. So since the most expensive fee is the 'per package' fee, I like to group several items in the same order so it is divided between all the items. Also I mostly buy mass market paperbacks so I group them in fours for the 4 for 3 promotion.

And that's my Christmas order.

So that's why I didnt order Lincoln yet.

That and when i noticed the film and CD will be released here by the end of January...

People with explicit opinions are so annoying.

Are you implying me? ;)

No I meant the OP. The title of this thread set the tone for this shameful thread. Everybody is entitled to their opinions but strong claims require strong argumentation, and should be made in a sensible way. This thread was asking for fights. Read through this thread, I feel embarrassed really to be a member. Hlao-roo should be banned and this thread removed.

Are you implying me? ;)

No I meant the OP. The title of this thread set the tone for this shameful thread. Everybody is entitled to their opinions but strong claims require strong argumentation, and should be made in a sensible way. This thread was asking for fights. Read through this thread, I feel embarrassed really to be a member. Hlao-roo should be banned and this thread removed.

Then don't read it, Mr. Smarty Pants. You're saying you don't agree with an opinion and that the member, a brilliantly sarcastic one I might add, which means you just can't read into people's words, be banned and the thread removed for having a negative tone about John Williams. I think you're the one that needs to leave.

I think that if you have appreciation for something or someone, you should not be afraid to be critical of things you don't like about them or it.

Not everything everyone does is perfect or great. The world doesn't operate that way. People can be great at their job and still have efforts that aren't up to par.

I think that if you have appreciation for something or someone, you should not be afraid to be critical of things you don't like about them or it.

Not everything everyone does is perfect or great. The world doesn't operate that way. People can be great at their job and still have efforts that aren't up to par.

Exactly. But it also should be the other way around. There are JW's works that I dislike. But when I've felt a pair of times that I was looked at as if I should dislike this or that, when I happen to genuinely like it and I think it's genuinely good. Then you get accused of adoring everything the Maestro puts out mindlessly, just because I liked something someone else did not.

Honestly this attitude that having that specific opinion of JW's modern output was absolute truth annoys me. Like the loaded statement in the title of this thread. And if you don't agree, then you're afraid of being critical, and you're a deluded fanboy who doesn't want to admit da Truth!

Critcism is perfectly ok and wanted.

But there are some people here who completely disregard almost anything JW has done over the last 10 to 15 years. They can't reason it and somehow glorify a time long ago where everything he did was supposedly better... that's annoying to me. To only deal in absolutes and saying the same things like many very old people: that the old times where the best.

As i have said in another thread before: The average scores may have increased in quantity since 1993 but the masterpieces are as good as the old masterpieces (TPM, PoA, War Horse or SS, RotS)

Are you implying me? ;)

Then don't read it, Mr. Smarty Pants. You're saying you don't agree with an opinion and that the member, a brilliantly sarcastic one I might add, which means you just can't read into people's words, be banned and the thread removed for having a negative tone about John Williams. I think you're the one that needs to leave.

Everybody knows your sense of sarcasm :sarcasm: Alan's posts just do not come off as sarcasm. And although I might agree with him on his view, telling people to die isnt the way to treat your fellow members. I cannot imagine ET& Elliott doesnt feel offended. If you read carefully I am criticizing the way people react, not the discussion itself. But then you've never been the most sensible one anyway.