Dennis McCarthy's Star Trek Generations (GNP Records 2CDComplete Score)

Trent B

post-565-0-00152700-1350292144_thumb.jpg

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/new/product_info.php?products_id=228'>http://store.gnpcres...products_id=228

Now accepting orders to ship October 29th 2012.

October 15, 2012 — GNP Crescendo Records continues its commitment to Star TrekTM fans with the first-ever release of Dennis McCarthy/’s complete score for Star Trek Generations (1994). This 2 CD collector/’s edition features the complete film score on disc one (including music for one scene deleted from the finished film), and a remastered version of the 1994 GNP soundtrack album (and its innovative sound effects library) on disc two.

Star Trek Generations was the first feature film starring the crew of Star Trek: The Next Generation, a /“passing the baton/” story in which Star Trek: The Original Series character James T. Kirk (William Shatner) teams up with Star Trek: The Next Generation Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) via a mysterious space/time phenomenon called the Nexus to battle an obsessed alien scientist, Dr. Soran (Malcolm McDowell).

Generations/’ atypical (for Star Trek) mood of melancholy, contemplation and—ultimately—uplift was captured by the composer who has scored more hours of the modern-day Star Trek television series than any other, Dennis McCarthy. Relishing the opportunity to work with a large orchestra and a more cinematic vocabulary, McCarthy used a broader, more melodic palette befitting the big-screen presentation.

From its innovatively gentle main title music to its traditionally heroic themes, from its haunting choir-infused music for the Nexus to its strategically spotted quotes of Alexander Courage/’s Star Trek fanfare, McCarthy’s score both honors tradition and brings a fresh new voice to the Star Trek universe.

GNP Crescendo released the original soundtrack album to Star Trek Generations in 1994, featuring 45 minutes of score highlights. This expanded release includes not only the full score (nearly 76 minutes) and remastered album, but also 3 bonus tracks—including the motion picture dialogue “Lifeforms” performed and somewhat improvised by Brent Spiner (as Data).

The accompanying 16-page booklet includes informative notes by Jeff Bond and Lukas Kendall and is lavishly illustrated with film stills. A track-by-track commentary for both discs by John Takis is available online at gnpcrescendo.com/generations. STAR TREK GENERATIONS—2 CD Collector’s Edition (GNPD 8080) is available solely as a physical CD from GNP Crescendo Records, www.gnpcrescendo.com.

Music Composed and Conducted by Dennis McCarthy
Bold titles are previously unreleased tracks.

Disc One: The Complete Score
1. Main Title 2:54
2. Past Glory 1:19
3. The Enterprise B 0:42
4. Distress Call / Harriman and the Ribbon 4:27
5. Kirk Saves the Day / Deck 15 / HMS Enterprise 4:50
6. Picard's Message / Raid Post Mortem 4:43
7. Data and the Emotions 0:54
8. Time is Running Out 1:11
9. Data Malfunctions 2:29
10 Soran Kidnaps Geordi 2:44
11. Guinan and the Nexus 2:47
12. Torture 1:37
13. Soran's Plan Revealed 1:49
14. Prisoner Exchange 2:59
15. Outgunned 3:22
16. The Gap / Coolant Leak / Appointment with Eternity / Out of Control / Blasted / The Crash 5:43
17. Coming to Rest 1:00
18. The Nexus 1:32
19. A Christmas Hug / The Kitchen Debate 8:03
20. Coming to Rest 1:38
21. Two Captains / Crash Recap 2:04
22. The Final Fight 6:15
23. The Captain of the Enterprise (Kirk's Death) 2:45
24. To Live Forever 2:40
25. Star Trek: Generations Overture 4:13
Total Disc Time 75:39

Disc Two: Remastered Soundtrack Album
1. Star Trek: Generations Overture 4:13
2. Main Title 2:54
3. The Enterprise B / Kirk Saves the Day 3:13
4. Deck 15 1:41
5. Time is Running Out 1:11
6. Prisoner Exchange 2:58
7. Outgunned 3:22
8. Out of Control / The Crash 2:05
9. Coming to Rest 1:00
10 The Nexus / A Christmas Hug 7:07
11. Jumping the Ravine 1:38
12. Two Captains 1:34
13. The Final Fight 6:15
14. Kirk's Death 2:45
15. To Live Forever 2:40
Star Trek: Generations Sound Effects
16. Enterprise B Bridge 3:13
17. Enterprise B Doors Open 0:13
18. Distress Call Alert 0:10
19. Enterprise B Helm Controls 0:16
20. Nexus Energy Ribbon 1:38
21. Enterprise B Deflector Beam 0:08
22. Enterprise B Warp Pass-by 0:14
23. Enterprise B Transporter 0:12
24. Tricorder 0:30
25. Hypo Injector 0:03
26. Communicator Chirp 0:06
27. Door Chime 0:07
28. Enterprise D Warp Out #1 0:22
29. Bird of Prey Bridge / Explosion 2:51
30. Klingon Sensor Alert 0:08
31. Bird of Prey Cloaks 0:04
32. Bird of Prey De-cloaks 0:10
33. Klingon Transporter 0:12
34. Soran's Gun 0:11
35. Soran's Rocket De-cloaks 0:05
36. Shuttlecraft Pass-by 0:21
37. Enterprise D Bridge / Crash Sequence 3:21
38. Enterprise D Warp-Out #2 0:09
Bonus Tracks
39. Prisoner Exchange (film version) 2:59
40. A Christmas Hug (choir only) 1:22
41. Lifeforms (Vocal: Brent Spiner) 0:17
Total Disc Time 66:11

Jason if you want to edit the post so it is more professional that's fine with me.

PDF of John Takis' track by track analysis:

http://www.gnpcresce...ions_online.pdf

I really don't get why GNP couldn't have spent a little more money to add 8 pages to the 16 page booklet for a nice 24 page booklet that had the track by track analysis in it. Oh well.

I really don't get why GNP couldn't have spent a little more money to add 8 pages to the 16 page booklet for a nice 24 page booklet that had the track by track analysis in it. Oh well.

Ya I don't get that either. Their decision on the art direction is rather lame.

I'm order 1221. Well hopefully it won't take long for it to come once they start shipping.

I also don't understand why they could upload a slightly higher quality PDF file.

I planned to printed this out, but the resolution is just shit.

I also don't understand why they could upload a slightly higher quality PDF file.

I planned to printed this out, but the resolution is just shit.

Ya the quality isn't that great, neither was First Contact's.

Ya the quality isn't that great, neither was First Contact's.

First Contact was even worse in that it was a single long PDF file that you could not print into single pages without breaking up the text.

The CD itself will sound stunning, but presentation wise GNP is bottom barrel.

They spelled Christmas wrong TWICE in the track list!

I noticed that, I hope that isn't that way on the actual artwork. All though that won't matter to me since I rarely look at the artwork anyways. I care more about the score.

I didn't know the beginning of "Prisoner Exchange" in the film was an creative editorial edit. I've never cared for the version used on the OST (which will be used here). For my iPhone I definitely plan on using the film version edit.

Can anyone confirm if the sound effects on disc 2 are in film order? I hope so. I don't want to have to play record producer and reorganize them, because I'm not very good at it.

Indeed. And it's ridiculous how they pad this excellent sound-effects album with one-and-a-half discs of noise just to justify a 25 USD price tag.

I'll order it myself, but I have to wait a week or two to see if I can justify this financially. This score is far from my priorities. But it would be nice to have all ST's.

Karol

Never seen the movie. I wonder how Goldsmith would have managed the thematic material in a bridging film. McCarthy has two or three nice tracks (A CHRISTMAS HUG, i. e.) but on the whole, i found the score rather lame.

I'm delighted to finally see a complete release of this score. I'm looking forward to HMS Enterprise, Soran Kidnaps Geordi and Soran's Plan Revealed. I've wanted those cues since the film's release. I think this score, as well as Star Trek IV, are underrated.

The original album was mixed too low.

Karol,

It's definitely a matter of time before Insurrection is out but who knows if it'll be out this year. If it is I will be surprised but like you Karol, I'm not expecting it until beginning of next year.

Never seen the movie. I wonder how Goldsmith would have managed the thematic material in a bridging film. McCarthy has two or three nice tracks (A CHRISTMAS HUG, i. e.) but on the whole, i found the score rather lame.

It's a solid score that supports its movie really well. I'm not a fan of the Christmas music, I find it too syrupy (which I believe is the point), but the action/suspense stuff reminds of Rosenman at times.

I dunno ....I mean ya the cover looks similar in style to the FSM and Intrada releases but the back tray just makes me cringe.

Personally I've never really cared for most of Banning's artwork.... all though I will admit it's better looking than First Contact's.

Not really interested in this

You're starting to sound like Thor.

What was the point of posting then if you weren't interested?

Then what was the point of responding to his pointless post of disinterest?

Why did I even respond? What's going on? Where am I?