Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

Some more tidbits:

Fox still has distribution rights for the 3D re-releases of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, and Turner Broadcasting owns Star Wars: The Clone Wars, so those issues have to be worked out. (I wouldn't be surprised if the 3D re-releases ended up co-produced by Fox and Disney, a la Robopocalypse and Lincoln.)

Furthermore, Disney is going ahead with Star Wars-related properties since Indiana Jones is tied up in legal shambles with Paramount, which distributed the Indy films.

More importantly, Fox will not be involved in any capacity on Episodes VII, VIII and VIX.

Great news, i love change... it creates so many possibilities! :D

Fantastic for us too cause of Intradas Disney connection. I am sure they can work something out concerning Sony to release complete and remastered scores for the prequels as well as the OT. Just imagine RotJ in good sound quality!!! The guys at Intrada must be pretty happy right now as well as all soundtrack fans should be!

No Intrada releases of any Star Wars scores would be possible until after Sony's exclusive distribution rights to them ends. Lucasfilm could create the new CD masters entirely in-house with no Sony involvement at all, but Sony would still have to be the label to release them. Until their contract is over.

I wonder how many years of rights Concord bought for Indy 1-4? Hopefully only 5 years (ie till the end of 2013)

Unless they buy them out!

Is this really necessary? We will have another franchise that won't be musically finished by JW. Actually SW and Indy would be last opportunities for that, if they leave them for what they are.

In the chairman interview, Lucas mentions that 7-8 will be, logically, about the continuation of the storyline - means, in my book, chronologically and dramatically.

Who says that Williams will not be involved, yet? In the August 2-hour interview, he kept his fingers crossed for some more Indiana Jones. No reason to chicken out of SW, then.

locura+homero.jpg

Could describe the expression after finding out that this is no April's fool ;)

There still is a chance that Williams might do at least the first of the new Starwars movies in 2015. If not expect Giacchino's take on the scores, he already did the Disney Star Tours rearrangements.

You guys, I am seriously traumatized. Is anyone else going through the same stunned feeling I am suffering right now?

It is a neutral feeling, as if pure joy and utter devastation rammed into one another and spat out a bastard child that can only be described as "confused".

These are my top 5 Star Wars movies:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor

5. Star Tours

How do we feel about this?

These are my top 5 Star Wars movies:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Ewoks: The Battle for Endor

5. Star Tours

How do we feel about this?

You seem to be a big Ewok fan. :rolleyes:

This was a total shock to me. Definitely didn't see this coming. I do see potential for awesomeness, though...it didn't take long before I started thinking about the Intrada thing. I don't know how all this legal stuff works, but I can't imagine this hurting our chances of finally getting proper complete releases. If it becomes legally possible, I'm sure the folks at Intrada will be chomping at the bit.

As far as additional Star Wars movies go...hmmm. Well, if they suck, it won't be like they're ruining a perfect saga. And with Lucas assuming a "consulting" role, I actually see potential for the films to be far better than the prequels. We'll see, though. And if they can't get Williams onboard, I may skip them altogether, honestly. A Star Wars film without Williams is just wrong. (Regarding Giacchino's Star Tours involvement, keep in mind that he only created arrangements for the videos in the queue.)

The funny thing was that I rode Star Tours just an hour or two before this announcement. Weird.

maybe Disney will have the sense to release the movie called Star Wars on Blu Ray for the first time.

If JW does this I will pinch myself. There such interesting, angry, moments in Episode III and he had so many wonderful things to say in POA, I want to hear more of that language from him.

not the Phantom Menace, you're being utterly ridiculous with that statement

I won't argue about aotc or rots

shows you don't know what the fk you're talking about.

I like JC both film and score. don't get that it bombed.

You should listen to it. You liked LOST scores, right? It has that, also a bit of Star Wars, a bit of Indiana Jones, and some other stuff as well.

I'm sure I'll give it a listen eventually. I was indeed a big fan of his work on LOST, though I haven't been on much of a Giacchino kick lately.

Well this is both interesting and exciting.

Lucas has been sitting on the prequel scores for a decade so he missed his chance. I'm glad another studio now has the opportunity to release them. Whether or not disney acts on this opportunity is another matter.

Regarding the future movies, Disney's artistic view of the franchise will be key. They absolutely need to get a director who can handle this. Brad Bird would be my choice and that would probably mean a Michael Giachinno score if JW didn't return. After his scores for Star Trek and John Carter I'd be more than happy with that. Obviously a Williams score would be preferrable.

Hopefully Disney won't go ringing Gore Verbinski's number.

We are now living in a world where a Star Wars score by Zimmer is a possibility!! :o

More importantly, Fox will not be involved in any capacity on Episodes VII, VIII and VIX.

No more Fox Fanfare?! :(

I honestly don't know. If Fox's distribution deal with Lucasfilm included three extra SW films, and Disney bought that out, they would probably include the Fox name, logo and fanfare out of contractual obligation. Disney included the Paramount logo and branding on The Avengers and Iron Man 3 after Disney bought the rights from the studio two years ago.

There still is a real good possibility that JW might do the Episode VII score. It's not too far in the future, he still is at the top of his game and doesn't want to retire completely. George Lucas is still creative consultant and to be honest i think Steven Spielberg (as strong connected as he is to all these people) will probably want to hear another Williams Starwars score himself.

Next best and probable option seems to be Giacchino if JW won't do it

When I saw it popping up on Facebook I thought it was a friggin joke.

Don't really care, unless this opens the door for the original trilogy to be presented in it's correct form and comprehensive releases of all Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores.