Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

Or perhaps that Howard Shore hack will just phone in another crap score, ghostwritten by Steve Jablonsky, Harry Gregson-Williams, Angela Morley, Conrad Pope, Jerry Goldsmith, Brian Tyler, Rachel Portman, Randy Newman, and Thomas Newman, which will be rejected and replaced with a score by Hans Zimmer.

Or perhaps that Howard Shore hack will just phone in another crap score, ghostwritten by Steve Jablonsky, Harry Gregson-Williams, Angela Morley, Conrad Pope, Jerry Goldsmith, Brian Tyler, Rachel Portman, Randy Newman, and Thomas Newman, which will be rejected and replaced with a score by James Newton Howard.

Fixed!

But let's face it folks, Emily Howell's clearly the right gal for the job!

Well conrad Pope could be an option too :)

If Star wars (1977) is owned by FOX in perpetuity, Disney could make a deal with them.

Lets say that FOX fanfare and logo opens all films, and 1% of the income in all merchandise and then disney owns everything.

It will be a good yearly income to FOX for life...

Same with paramount and Indy..

Thinking about it now, I think John Debney would be a decent substitute (if we had to have one). Just listen to his score for the video game "Lair" or even the bombast of "Cutthroat Island". No doubt the man is capable of writing something in the vein of Williams. As I've often said about him, the composer knows how to be a chameleon.

those 2 scores don't sound even remotely like Williams

If I were more interested in these movies than I am then I'd be glad that John Williams won't be scoring them. My tastes have changed somewhat recently and I'm not really very much into the style he's developed and grown into in the past few years or so, I no longer consider him to be a suitable choice for movies such as these.

Let a newcomer take the reigns, and if they show great promise with the first score, move up further through the ranks. Allow someone else the opportunity to shine and become a great new talent on the scoring scene. John has done his bit, let him be. Stop with the notion that the replacement composer should write "in the style of Williams", why should he/she? Let them take Star Wars music in a new direction.

KK! If you thought I wouldn't notice you stealing my joke about Disney buying Google and Facebook and posting it on Filmtracks, you were wrong! Copyright, dude! Copyright!

And so I did! I didn't even know I got it from you! It just seemed funny....but credit shall go where credit is due and so I apologize for pulling one out of your massive bag of tricks. Error has been corrected:

http://www.filmtrack...cgi?read=118023

Happy?

How often do you frequent Filmtracks anyways? I thought you other were supposed to hate the place. What other places do you stalk? Should I be afraid?

What other places do you stalk? Should I be afraid?

I stalk the world wide web, dude! You should be very afraid. Big BloodBoal is watching you!

So you're the dude whose been sending me all those offers for a lifelong supply of Andy Price albums, aren't you?!

And some creep has been following me home lately...one of your goons eh?

Arrgh..HE'S EVERYWHERE!!!

locura+homero.jpg

Lucas plans to quickly put the bulk of the money into a foundation which will primarily focus on educational issues, a spokesperson for Lucasfilm tells THR.

Source:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-deal-george-lucas-will-384947

Now I think this is pretty cool for him to do.

Koray, Star Wars is never dead as long as I remember the great film from 1977. Wojo put it best in another post about StarCrash and the beginning of Star Wars....what an experience.

Didn't mean to imply that it was. It will always have its fans, but it seems Lucas wants to ensure that his universe will never be lost to time.

Well, to tell you the truth, I don't need another Star Wars film.

And I would like it if it had stopped in the original trilogy! (even if I liked some minor parts of the new trilogy).

Some classic thing must be left as they are and not be the source of continuing exploitation..

imagine having 6-7 E.T. films. The original one would lose some of its impact.

No, if E.T. had a bunch of sequels it would not lose its impact. You think the plethora of crap that followed Jaws ruined it? You think the prequels ruined Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back? Did The Lion King sequels ruin The Lion King? The answer is simply no. If a film is great, superb, brilliant, or even if it's shit, no sequel will ever change what it is. Did Prometheus ruin Alien? Crazy fanatics just have an illogical tendency to compare and contrast everything instead of being able to look at something based on its own merits.

If I were more interested in these movies than I am then I'd be glad that John Williams won't be scoring them. My tastes have changed somewhat recently and I'm not really very much into the style he's developed and grown into in the past few years or so, I no longer consider him to be a suitable choice for movies such as these.

Let a newcomer take the reigns, and if they show great promise with the first score, move up further through the ranks. Allow someone else the opportunity to shine and become a great new talent on the scoring scene. John has done his bit, let him be. Stop with the notion that the replacement composer should write "in the style of Williams", why should he/she? Let them take Star Wars music in a new direction.

Not everyone is as logical as us ;)

Thinking about it now, I think John Debney would be a decent substitute (if we had to have one). Just listen to his score for the video game "Lair" or even the bombast of "Cutthroat Island". No doubt the man is capable of writing something in the vein of Williams. As I've often said about him, the composer knows how to be a chameleon.

Definitely my two favourite scores by John Debney, Williams-like or not. In fact, they're two of my favourite scores period.

It would be great if someone would give Debney a proper movie to score, rather than his usual comedies and other random crap!

Lair has set pieces that remind you of the some of the big set pieces of the prequels (Duel of the Fates, etc.). It may not be Williams in the strictest sense, but influences from the maestro are there (along with a ton of other composers). And when I mentioned Cutthroat Island, I wasn't relating it to Williams but rather I was mentioning how I wouldn't hearing that kind of bombast in a SW score. All those Steiner, Rozsa and Korngold references would fit in.

So I want to speculate the actual next director...John williams was asked recently what he was working on (after lincolin) and he said that he and steven spielberg have a project in the works...what do you guys think? do you see spielberg taking on a new trilogy of starwars? after all, he did direct the very fight scene between ankin skywalker and obi one in revenge of the sith and wasn't bad at all.

The last thing Spielberg will direct is Star Wars.

You know I would say that too but then kathleen kennedy is involved here and she produced almost all Spielberg's films...but to also be fair, she prodcued for many directors like shyamalan and zemekis who would not be a bad choice at all!...you get alan silvestri in that mix as well.

Despite Kennedy's long-standing relationship with Spielberg, it's simply not gonna happen. There's a better chance of Indy 5 getting made. Spielberg is a huge producer in his own right, and he already has Robopocalypse lined up. I really hope Interstellar finally gets made too. Lincoln and it were announced around the same time.

5732057_700b.jpg

God. That is truly awful

This is absolutely surreal.

So hilarious in fact that laughing isn't even good enough.

I just died laughing.

So I want to speculate the actual next director...John williams was asked recently what he was working on (after lincolin) and he said that he and steven spielberg have a project in the works...what do you guys think? do you see spielberg taking on a new trilogy of starwars? after all, he did direct the very fight scene between ankin skywalker and obi one in revenge of the sith and wasn't bad at all.

Nothing would make me more happy. I always thought the Star Wars franchise should go into an experimental phase where each new installment is seen through the eyes of different director with a very distinctive style, a director who can put his stamp on a movie. Movies where artistic freedom is celebrated as long as it ties in with the Star Wars universe. For example, I've always wanted to see a Star Wars movie made by David Lynch or Ridley Scott (the young Ridley Scott, that is). Of course, Spielberg should be in too. However, I'm no longer interested to see the George Lucas style or Disney merely trying to copy it. I've seen it, I've processed it, I want something different. Sadly enough, it's not going to happen because Disney can't take this idea (a risky reinvention) to Wall Street. There are going to play it safe because the movies will be hugely profitable anyway.

Alex

I am sorry Quint, but reactions like this baffle me. Are you serious that you don't think Williams' name is the name that should be attached to SW forever? I dont understand why people are suggesting all kind of second rate composers for SW, while we of all people should realize the historic significance of JW's attachment to SW. Have you all forgotten that SW is a classic? That JW is actually responsible for the revival of symphonic film music, because of SW? He is not just a composer that can be replaced just by someone else, just like with Star Trek, certainly not for SW. Talking even about other composers, while the very creator of the genre is still alive and kicking, on his own Fan forum of all places, to me sounds like pure disrespect.

Why can't they just make oiginal movies or series with whatever composers they like, and leave the classic s for what they are. We, the fans, should certainly not support the new direction, which of course is only given in by money.

You think the plethora of crap that followed Jaws ruined it?

.......... Crazy fanatics just have an illogical tendency to compare and contrast everything instead of being able to look at something based on its own merits.

Agreed. It is a bizzare phenomenon but probably to do with some people's great need to compartmentalise and create a shrine / shiny frame / buffer zone around things they admire greatly, lest their object of devotion become connected with sideline mediocrity by other people. I believe it is about self image being put into compartments / categories for display ( "Behold, these are my favourite films / works of music. Now you can build a picture about out what kind of person I am by my well chosen and carefully displayed picks" etc) . Age / Era elitism can probably come into the picture too, with some choices being based on - "I was there man, I know what it was like" blurring accurate / fair reception of later sequels or remakes. I'm not convinced that individuals truly feel a poor sequel or prequel has actually ruined their favourite film, even if they may say that to others. I believe that it is fear, the individual fearing that other people might perceive them beyond the carefully sculpted statue of categories / compartments they wished to display for others to admire, by connecting Jaws 4....with Jaws.

It is like cold calling, unwarranted, an invasion of people's time and space, a violation of sanctity.

Melange - Writing Bollocks :P

Actually, on second thought, I can't leave this place while there are still people like the Dutchman, fighting for justice, equality and all that is good in this world.

You clearly have missed this news from the Messenger:

Have you forgotten that SW is also The Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones, Revenge Of The Sith, none of which were nowhere near classic status?

:nono:

BloodBoal - Leaving JWFAN, as this place is getting more and more narrow-minded with every second that passes...

:woop:

Spin off movies could have any musical direction they want.

But the saga should have a music style similar to williams.

I am sorry Quint, but reactions like this baffle me. Are you serious that you don't think Williams' name is the name that should be attached to SW forever? I dont understand why people are suggesting all kind of second rate composers for SW, while we of all people should realize the historic significance of JW's attachment to SW. Have you all forgotten that SW is a classic? That JW is actually responsible for the revival of symphonic film music, because of SW? He is not just a composer that can be replaced just by someone else, just like with Star Trek, certainly not for SW. Talking even about other composers, why the very creator of the genre is still alive and kicking, on his own Fan forum of all places, to me sounds like pure disrespect.

So after coming at me like like a rabid fanboy you then reveal your real motivations in your next paragraph:

Why can't they just make oiginal movies or series with whatever composers they like, and leave the classic s for what they are. We, the fans, should certainly not support the new direction, which of course is only given in by money

So the notion that anyone might actually be open to a "reboot" of sorts is what deeply offends you here, not just the possible approach to the music itself. Meaning any sort of discussion with you is a lost cause.

It's your way or no way. Alternative views on the matter are profoundly disrespectful not only to Williams, but to your own set of staunch beliefs.

Quint - who hates it when Koray agrees with him.

imagine having 6-7 E.T. films. The original one would lose some of its impact.

No, if E.T. had a bunch of sequels it would not lose its impact. You think the plethora of crap that followed Jaws ruined it? You think the prequels ruined Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back? Did The Lion King sequels ruin The Lion King? The answer is simply no. If a film is great, superb, brilliant, or even if it's shit, no sequel will ever change what it is. Did Prometheus ruin Alien? Crazy fanatics just have an illogical tendency to compare and contrast everything instead of being able to look at something based on its own merits.

I'd like to agree with you, but unfortunately, I can't. The thing is, I've heard people who said that they only saw Star Wars - Episode I and that it sucked so bad they don't want to see another SW film (In fact, I know one of those people), so there is that. The case of SW is a bit particular, though, since the "sequels" were prequels (so there is a stronger chance people discovering the franchise will start with Episode I than IV), I'll give you that. But I think my point still stands: if people discover a franchise throught a shitty sequel instead of the original, they might form a certain opinion on this franchise that would have been different if they had seen the original first (which they might not want to see because of that sequel). So sequels might not affect the quality of the original, but they might turn some people who haven't seen it away from it.

Possibly, yes, but that still doesn't reflect the quality of the original film(s). My point still stands.

BloodBoal - Leaving JWFAN, as this place is getting more and more narrow-minded with every second that passes...

Took you this long to figure it out? ;)

Why can't they just make oiginal movies or series with whatever composers they like, and leave the classic s for what they are. We, the fans, should certainly not support the new direction, which of course is only given in by money.

I'm probably the biggest Star Wars fan on this board and I TOTALLY support this new direction. Lucas, Williams, Kurtz, McQuarrie, etc. simply laid the groundwork for other Star Wars related works to materialize. The games, novels, cartoons, etc. have proven this over the years. A true quality of Star Wars is the universe it created, the characters and concepts. It is FAR from being explored. In fact; with the new creative control of the franchise, it might finally reach a potential it always had.

But for those who 'don't need more Star Wars films', you know: you don't have to watch them. I don't need more American Pie films. So what do I do: I don't watch them. But there are legions of fans (appearantly) who do enjoy the American Pie films, so who am I to be in opposition anyway? What would be the point? It's not like Hollywood stopped making the kind of films I like because it's completely immersed in the American Pie franchise.

And nobody here can tell how the new trilogy will unfold. This is the board where people thought Avatar would 'bomb' and this is the board where nobody would pick Howard Shore to score The Lord Of The Rings back in the day if they have had the chance. Sometimes life can be surprising guys. I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping that Episode VII will be totally awesome. ;)

Sometimes life can be surprising guys. I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping that Episode VII will be totally awesome. ;)

I would be more than content with something not as abysmal as Lucas last three films.