Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

Have been what?

1952 = Star Wars Episode VII, like Blue Harvest was Return Of The Jedi?

Whether that's just a codename or an actual year related to the story, we're not yet sure, but the project "has multi-platform aspirations" meaning Disney wants it for theme parks, retail stores and theaters. It'll no doubt be a "big tentpole" movie, and with these two storytellers leading the way, it is definitely something to watch for.

1952, which is all anyone really knows about this, is a large scale science fiction project that originated out of a series of meetings Lindelof had with Disney's production president Sean Bailey and senior exec Brigham Taylor. Damon is writing the script and Deadline adds that this is "the first film that Lindelof is producing from the ground up." Now we know that Brad Bird is definitely on-board to direct, but other than that, still no plot details. Anyone? It sounds like Disney has something on their hands that could be huge, and they're making sure to build it from the ground up properly, with the right talent top to bottom.

Because they would have announced Bird and Lindelof were doing Star Wars 7 along with everything else if they were

You think the plethora of crap that followed Jaws ruined it?

.......... Crazy fanatics just have an illogical tendency to compare and contrast everything instead of being able to look at something based on its own merits.

Agreed. It is a bizzare phenomenon but probably to do with some people's great need to compartmentalise and create a shrine / shiny frame / buffer zone around things they admire greatly, lest their object of devotion become connected with sideline mediocrity by other people. I believe it is about self image being put into compartments / categories for display ( "Behold, these are my favourite films / works of music. Now you can build a picture about out what kind of person I am by my well chosen and carefully displayed picks" etc) . Age / Era elitism can probably come into the picture too, with some choices being based on - "I was there man, I know what it was like" blurring accurate / fair reception of later sequels or remakes. I'm not convinced that individuals truly feel a poor sequel or prequel has actually ruined their favourite film, even if they may say that to others. I believe that it is fear, the individual fearing that other people might perceive them beyond the carefully sculpted statue of categories / compartments they wished to display for others to admire, by connecting Jaws 4....with Jaws.

It is like cold calling, unwarranted, an invasion of people's time and space, a violation of sanctity.

Melange - Writing Bollocks :P

What a great post, Melage

Why can't they just make oiginal movies or series with whatever composers they like, and leave the classic s for what they are. We, the fans, should certainly not support the new direction, which of course is only given in by money.

I'm probably the biggest Star Wars fan on this board and I TOTALLY support this new direction. Lucas, Williams, Kurtz, McQuarrie, etc. simply laid the groundwork for other Star Wars related works to materialize. The games, novels, cartoons, etc. have proven this over the years. A true quality of Star Wars is the universe it created, the characters and concepts. It is FAR from being explored. In fact; with the new creative control of the franchise, it might finally reach a potential it always had.

But for those who 'don't need more Star Wars films', you know: you don't have to watch them. I don't need more American Pie films. So what do I do: I don't watch them. But there are legions of fans (appearantly) who do enjoy the American Pie films, so who am I to be in opposition anyway? What would be the point? It's not like Hollywood stopped making the kind of films I like because it's completely immersed in the American Pie franchise.

And nobody here can tell how the new trilogy will unfold. This is the board where people thought Avatar would 'bomb' and this is the board where nobody would pick Howard Shore to score The Lord Of The Rings back in the day if they have had the chance. Sometimes life can be surprising guys. I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping that Episode VII will be totally awesome. ;)

While I agree with you, I was the only person here that thought Avatar would bomb. :P

Why can't they just make oiginal movies or series with whatever composers they like, and leave the classic s for what they are. We, the fans, should certainly not support the new direction, which of course is only given in by money.

I'm probably the biggest Star Wars fan on this board and I TOTALLY support this new direction. Lucas, Williams, Kurtz, McQuarrie, etc. simply laid the groundwork for other Star Wars related works to materialize. The games, novels, cartoons, etc. have proven this over the years. A true quality of Star Wars is the universe it created, the characters and concepts. It is FAR from being explored. In fact; with the new creative control of the franchise, it might finally reach a potential it always had.

But for those who 'don't need more Star Wars films', you know: you don't have to watch them. I don't need more American Pie films. So what do I do: I don't watch them. But there are legions of fans (appearantly) who do enjoy the American Pie films, so who am I to be in opposition anyway? What would be the point? It's not like Hollywood stopped making the kind of films I like because it's completely immersed in the American Pie franchise.

And nobody here can tell how the new trilogy will unfold. This is the board where people thought Avatar would 'bomb' and this is the board where nobody would pick Howard Shore to score The Lord Of The Rings back in the day if they have had the chance. Sometimes life can be surprising guys. I'm an optimist, so I'm hoping that Episode VII will be totally awesome. ;)

While I agree with you, I was the only person here that thought Avatar would bomb. :P

No you weren't. You were just the only one who said it out loud. ;)

I never really got into Star Wars until I was in 8th or 9th grade. I had seen ROTJ first for years and didn't really "get" it until I rented the 1995 round of VHS tapes, and then it all clicked.

~*~

Koray made some kind of comment that the prequels don't affect the enjoyment of SW and ESB, but that's not entirely true. They introduced some weird incongruities that the characters don't seem to grasp, but we the audience do -- that's called dramatic irony, for those of you in drama classes. Stuff like Anakin built Threepio: we know that it's bizarre, but Threepio would have had his memory erased (and would never have seen Anakin in the suit to make the connection anyways, even if his robot brain could extrapolate the human voice beneath Vader's synthesizer) and Vader has seen so many protocol droids in his time that they all look the same. And the inconsistency with Leia remembering her "real" mother but Luke doesn't speaks either volumes of selected memories available through Force imprinting, or was pure retcon bullshit.

I too got into Star Wars in middle school, around 1993-1994ish, and my love of it built and built until the midnight showing of Phantom Menace in May of 1999. 2 hours later I was never the same Star Wars fan again.

Yah, thankfully I got into Star Wars when I was 5, just after the release of The Empire Strikes Back. I have a history with Star Wars.

I never really got into Star Wars until I was in 8th or 9th grade. I had seen ROTJ first for years and didn't really "get" it until I rented the 1995 round of VHS tapes, and then it all clicked.

~*~

Koray made some kind of comment that the prequels don't affect the enjoyment of SW and ESB, but that's not entirely true. They introduced some weird incongruities that the characters don't seem to grasp, but we the audience do -- that's called dramatic irony, for those of you in drama classes. Stuff like Anakin built Threepio: we know that it's bizarre, but Threepio would have had his memory erased (and would never have seen Anakin in the suit to make the connection anyways, even if his robot brain could extrapolate the human voice beneath Vader's synthesizer) and Vader has seen so many protocol droids in his time that they all look the same. And the inconsistency with Leia remembering her "real" mother but Luke doesn't speaks either volumes of selected memories available through Force imprinting, or was pure retcon bullshit.

So in your case it's 'once learned it cannot be unlearned?' It theoretically shouldn't be a problem, but I guess it differs on the viewer.

I never got what was the problem with Leia remembering her mother. I mean, it's never said that it's supposed to be her real mother she's talking about. Yes, Luke says "Your real mother", but what the fuck does Leia know? The only mother she had was Bail Organa's wife, so it makes sense she's talking about her.

That's no plot hole for me.

There are no plot holes in Star Wars. From a certain point of view.

I've left that galaxy far far away a long time ago, I don't care if they make any more films, I have 0 interest in them.

If Disney can put together a quality film then fine, personally I will probably end up buying the scores if I feel the music is worthy.

Michael Giacchino or Bruce Broughton would be a perfect choice. They can both retain their own unique styles yet keep the music familiar with what Williams wrote.

I enjoyed Timothy Zahn's Heir trilogy and the 2 book Thrawn series, even Dark Empire somewhat, but the rest of the EU is shit. Everything's gotten worse since they defeated the empire.

Frankly I don't even know why they bothered to take down the Empire. If I was Luke and could have gotten a glimpse of the future, I would contacted Vader and taken him up on his offer to rule as father and son. Heck I'd even taken the emperor's offer and killed him inboard the Death Star 2 and joined old Palpy at his side.

The idea of Star Wars episodes episode VII, VIII, IX is not new at all. As a kid I remember Lucas talking about his "trilogy of trilogies" in interviews promoting The Empire Strikes Back around 1980. Then Mark Hammill said something similar in a guest appearance on a kids show (Blue Peter, maybe?) back in 1980 or 81. After the prequel trilogy was made though, and it was so very Anakin-centric, it seemed to me that the 6 episodes were all about the rise and fall of Darth Vader, and so how can it continue after Vader's death? Wouldn't episodes 7-9 just seem like an epilogue?

I just hope ol' John gets to score it.

If someone will ask him (and surely 'the powers that be' MUST ask him first) I think he will surely consider the opportunity (Williams is still fond of Star Wars). However, it could also very well be that he'll follow his friend George's example and decide to step back and let others do their take on the subject matter, giving his own blessing to the successor.

My guess is that Michael Giacchino is a very good potential candidate, for a various set of reasons: he collaborated with JW on the recently revamped Star Tours attraction at Disneyland. He has very good relationships with people at Disney. He's a 'hot' name in the contemporary film score arena. His musical style is cut from a cloth very akin to the classic 'Star Wars sound'.

Of course it will also depend on the director who will be at the helm of the new movies.

In my very humble opinion, I'd love to see someone like Mike Verta doing his take on a Star Wars score.

I've left that galaxy far far away a long time ago, I don't care if they make any more films, I have 0 interest in them.

If Disney can put together a quality film then fine, personally I will probably end up buying the scores if I feel the music is worthy.

Michael Giacchino or Bruce Broughton would be a perfect choice. They can both retain their own unique styles yet keep the music familiar with what Williams wrote.

I enjoyed Timothy Zahn's Heir trilogy and the 2 book Thrawn series, even Dark Empire somewhat, but the rest of the EU is shit. Everything's gotten worse since they defeated the empire.

Frankly I don't even know why they bothered to take down the Empire. If I was Luke and could have gotten a glimpse of the future, I would contacted Vader and taken him up on his offer to rule as father and son. Heck I'd even taken the emperor's offer and killed him inboard the Death Star 2 and joined old Palpy at his side.

Bruce Broughton would be a fantastic choice. About time he got some spotlight. Him or someone like Don Davis.

Karol

A fascinating opinion. Maybe this is why I enjoyed playing TIE Fighter far more than X-Wing. Long live the Empire!

A fascinating opinion. Maybe this is why I enjoyed playing TIE Fighter far more than X-Wing. Long live the Empire!

Mark's point is indeed a very good one. The period when they were still battling the Empire in EU was probably even longer than the actual conflict as presented in the OT. Nothing much changed, another super weapon, some new villain using the Dark Side. Heck, a new conflict started a day after ROTJ! Same old, same old. Only few books really deviated from that.

Karol

That's because at its heart, the Star Wars universe is very dull and static. Technology has been largely stagnant for thousands and thousands of years. Hyperdrives, shields, blasters, lasers, concussion missiles, aliens, superweapons, lightsabers, starfighters, it's all been the same for generations. Sometimes they get clever and invent a cloaking device, or slap a hyperdrive onto a TIE Fighter, or build a bigger death star or superlong dreadnought. Yhe saga of light vs. dark, Jedi vs. Sith, has gone on for eons and continues to survive long after the rest of the world thought that evil was defeated once and for all at Endor. Nope, not even close.

imagine having 6-7 E.T. films. The original one would lose some of its impact.

No, if E.T. had a bunch of sequels it would not lose its impact. You think the plethora of crap that followed Jaws ruined it? You think the prequels ruined Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back? Did The Lion King sequels ruin The Lion King? The answer is simply no. If a film is great, superb, brilliant, or even if it's shit, no sequel will ever change what it is. Did Prometheus ruin Alien? Crazy fanatics just have an illogical tendency to compare and contrast everything instead of being able to look at something based on its own merits.

I'd like to agree with you, but unfortunately, I can't. The thing is, I've heard people who said that they only saw Star Wars - Episode I and that it sucked so bad they don't want to see another SW film (In fact, I know one of those people), so there is that. The case of SW is a bit particular, though, since the "sequels" were prequels (so there is a stronger chance people discovering the franchise will start with Episode I than IV), I'll give you that. But I think my point still stands: if people discover a franchise throught a shitty sequel instead of the original, they might form a certain opinion on this franchise that would have been different if they had seen the original first (which they might not want to see because of that sequel). So sequels might not affect the quality of the original, but they might turn some people who haven't seen it away from it.

At the beginning I was like, yeah cool , whatever. But now I feel like somebody is screwing up my childhood, bloody hell,

They haven't even released Episode VII. How do you know they screwed up your childhood?

If I were more interested in these movies than I am then I'd be glad that John Williams won't be scoring them. My tastes have changed somewhat recently and I'm not really very much into the style he's developed and grown into in the past few years or so, I no longer consider him to be a suitable choice for movies such as these.

Let a newcomer take the reigns, and if they show great promise with the first score, move up further through the ranks. Allow someone else the opportunity to shine and become a great new talent on the scoring scene. John has done his bit, let him be. Stop with the notion that the replacement composer should write "in the style of Williams", why should he/she? Let them take Star Wars music in a new direction.

I am sorry Quint, but reactions like this baffle me. Are you serious that you don't think Williams' name is the name that should be attached to SW forever? I dont understand why people are suggesting all kind of second rate composers for SW, while we of all people should realize the historic significance of JW's attachment to SW. Have you all forgotten that SW is a classic? That JW is actually responsible for the revival of symphonic film music, because of SW? He is not just a composer that can be replaced just by someone else, just like with Star Trek, certainly not for SW. Talking even about other composers, why the very creator of the genre is still alive and kicking, on his own Fan forum of all places, to me sounds like pure disrespect.

I'm sorry, MSM, but this reaction baffles me. Isn't that a bit sectarian? How do you know no composer can write a Star Wars score as good as Williams', if you don't let anyone have the chance to compose one? Saying such a thing to me sounds like pure disrespect to other composers.

Have you forgotten that SW is also The Phantom Menace, Attack Of The Clones, Revenge Of The Sith, none of which were nowhere near classic status?

And who are you to say "We, the fans, should certainly not support the new direction, which of course is only given in by money"? Who are you to tell me what I should or shouldn't do?

BloodBoal - Leaving JWFAN, as this place is getting more and more narrow-minded with every second that passes...

I can easily ask you the same, why should I like you welcome any new SW effort with any new composer? Maybe it is you yourself who should be open to other opinions. But more importantly: do you not agree as to the cultural and historical value of SW as an icon in film making and film music writing?

Do you actually understand my point?

I fear that Broughton is considered too much 'out of the loop' by the top people who take decisions. Giacchino is much more likely, I guess.

Shame on all of you. Maybe I should actually leave this place.

I can easily ask you the same, why should I like you and welcome any new SW effort with any new composer?

I'm not telling you to do that. I'm just telling not to tell others how they should feel about this news.

Maybe it is you yourself who should be open to other opinions.

I am. Just not when other opinions are like: "This is how you should feel about that. If you don't, then you are no real Williams fan, and you're a fool".

But more importantly: do you not agree as to the cultural and historical value of SW as an icon in film making and film music writing?

Do you actually understand my point?

Yes, Star Wars is an icon in film making and film music writing. By Star Wars, I mean the first film. And ESB, and to a certain extent ROTJ.

But so what? We're not talking about rescoring these films. We're talking about scoring the new films that are going to come out, that have no obligation to be an icon in film making and film music writing. I mean, the prequels weren't. They had Williams composing the music, yet AOTC is not be a score I would call an icon film music writing. Nor ROTS, nor TPM. So, you see, having Williams working on the new film doesn't garantee an amazing score. So why are you so adamant that no other composer should have a shot at composing a score for the new film ? (and yes, I use the word "adamant" to sound smart).

Besides, what about the Star Wars video games and TV shows scores? What about theme, hey? Williams didn't score them, yet the world didn't implode, did it?

I fear that Broughton is considered too much 'out of the loop' by the top people who take decisions. Giacchino is much more likely, I guess.

Shame on all of you. Maybe I should actually leave this place.

Maybe you should indeed, if you're gonna keep reacting like that.

Well it hurts me yes that they are planning to toy around with this cultural legacy, and I can get emotional about that. And I am disappointed indeed that so few people do not feel the same. Well, at least Conrad Pope is with me ;) Sorry if I personally offended you, my reaction was meant to be more general. The prequels were worse enough and certainly not a reason to make more of that stuff. And doing things because they don;t make the world implode doesnt sound like the right motivation to me.

One thing BloodBoal could EVER be accused of based on his contributions here is arrogance and ignorance. The chap is one of the most open-minded personality's on the board.

Hehehe...

What's that? The Bunnies of Doom of crying your name?

Bloooddbooaaalll......jooiinn us....acceppt ussss...we knowssss you wantsss to......

Well, then, thanks, I guess.

But if you were ironic in your previous post, and are being ironic in this post as well, then it's just mean!

Just take the fucking compliment you fuck!

That's because at its heart, the Star Wars universe is very dull and static. Technology has been largely stagnant for thousands and thousands of years. Hyperdrives, shields, blasters, lasers, concussion missiles, aliens, superweapons, lightsabers, starfighters, it's all been the same for generations. Sometimes they get clever and invent a cloaking device, or slap a hyperdrive onto a TIE Fighter, or build a bigger death star or superlong dreadnought. Yhe saga of light vs. dark, Jedi vs. Sith, has gone on for eons and continues to survive long after the rest of the world thought that evil was defeated once and for all at Endor. Nope, not even close.

The Cheers theme song would appear to be more appropriate for the main title.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Gary Kurtz's conceived ending for ROTJ makes a lot of sense in the context of having a sequel trilogy. I would've preferred more of a middle ground between the one we got and the one he thought of if ROTJ is the end, but his notion of Han dying to help the Rebellion, Leia entering her new responsibilities with apprehension, and Luke walking off like the Man With No Name is a really interesting setup for VII-IX--certainly more interesting than what we have now. Admittedly, I haven't read the Heir trilogy, which I've heard good things about, but I don't think ROTJ's ending is by default very fertile ground for sequels the way Kurtz's idea was.

I just hope ol' John gets to score it.

If someone will ask him (and surely 'the powers that be' MUST ask him first)

He won't get asked.

I think that would depend on who's directing. We already know Kathleen Kennedy would be more than happy to have JW back. Provided he's still alive and composing, of course, I don't see why he wouldn't at least get asked. Seems to me that anyone who would be disinterested in Williams scoring their movie isn't the type of director who would approach/be approached for this, anyway.

There is now nothing to stop the Star Wars film franchise from becoming a swinging door operation like Star Trek and James Bond: various casts, crews, and yes, composers.