Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

I agree with that, and sooner or later, there will most definitely be new composers coming in. I wouldn't want this to spin into another disappointing "Deathly Hallows" scenario filled with false hopes, but I don't think JW's return is completely unlikely, at least not at this very early stage.

Certainly the idea of the "sequel trilogy" is not new. Some of us old school fans remember an interview Lucas made shortly before ESB was released back in 1980 (in Starlog magazine, I believe) where he announced his intent to film a saga of nine films- three trilogies that span different eras. Of the little things he did say about Ep. 7-9 was that a character that appears in the prequels thought long dead will make a reappearance. There was no other clue as to who he was referring. Although the original story draft of "The Star Wars" said the whole saga was about friggin' Mace Windu...so who knows???

Seems to me George has all of his affairs settled. He's handed leadership of Lucasfilm over to longtime Spielberg #2 Kathleen Kennedy, sold the company to Disney, and has given quite a bit of already worked-out material about what Ep. 7-9 should be to Kennedy & Disney chief Bob Iger to make happen.

This could all be very good given the best LFL movies are the ones where George gives a basic storyline and stays out of the way to let others do the work. As a lifelong fan of SW this should make me very excited, but this makes me very nervous.

John Williams- how can this francise continue without him? Will he do the sequel trilogy? Does he even want to? The elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about- will he live long enough & have enough energy to do it if he takes it on? There was some trepidation from some film music afficianados that Williams might not be up to the task last year leading up to his score's to Tintin and Warhorse- the excellence of which put most of those worries at ease...but it feels like each of his scores in the last few years burdens the question- has he lost any of his magic? Fortunately, not yet...hopefully never. I for one cannot imagine a Star Wars movie without a JW score. He is as much a required collaborator as Ben Burtt, ILM, or Lucas himself.

Still, I cannot imagine a Steven Spielberg movie without JW either. Nothing lasts forever and change sucks. If the "Fountain of Youth" is ever discovered, someone let John Williams have a good long sip. He is simply irreplaceable.

Mr. K

I fear that Broughton is considered too much 'out of the loop' by the top people who take decisions. Giacchino is much more likely, I guess.

Shame on all of you. Maybe I should actually leave this place.

What are you saying? Mine wasn't obviously a judgement of merit about Broughton, which is absolutely one of my favourite film composers. What I expressed is sadly what likely many studio executives think about him.

I just listened to the forbidden version of Jared's Troy and thought how he could bring his own flavour to the Star Wars table, in case Williams declines the offer, of course. Sometimes Troy reminds me of Lennie Moore's Outcast.

194568-outcast_original.jpg

A tauntaun?

Well it hurts me yes that they are planning to toy around with this cultural legacy, and I can get emotional about that. And I am disappointed indeed that so few people do not feel the same. Well, at least Conrad Pope is with me ;) Sorry if I personally offended you, my reaction was meant to be more general. The prequels were worse enough and certainly not a reason to make more of that stuff. And doing things because they don;t make the world implode doesnt sound like the right motivation to me.

It's OK to be emotional with something you like. Hey, you should check my posts in The Hobbit thread! And no, you didn't offended me in any way, so no harm done.

The thing is, try to think of it this way: imagine if people like Lucas and Spielberg, back in 1977, thought like you and were like: "Hey, nobody can write music as good as Korngold. He's the Maestro! Nobody comes even close to his greatness ! I can't imagine any composer to score my film!", what would have happened then?

Give other composers a chance, and you might be pleasantly surprised!

If, when the seventh film is released, you don't like it, then fine. It's your right. But just give a composer a chance.

Well, if I have no choice... ;)

MSM if you don't want more stuff like the prequels then this should be great news for you. George Lucas won't be writing or directing. Huzzah!

Well that's indeed positive. But I am more concerned about the music... But what else to wait and see?

I wonder; did Trekkies back in the 70's whine about Jerry Goldsmith scoring the Star Trek movie instead of - let's say - Alexander Courage..?

Did the Trekkies worry about losing the 'iconic musical language' of the Original Series...?

Star Trek proved there is more than one way to score a franchise.

Man, I would give my left nut for Williams to return to Star Wars, but I will never state that Star Wars 'won't be Star Wars' without John Williams.

Another composer could - like Goldsmith did with TMP - take Williams' themes and expand the musical landscape of Star Wars in ways some narrow minded fans just can't envision.

I wonder; did Trekkies back in the 70's whine about Jerry Goldsmith scoring the Star Trek movie instead of - let's say - Alexander Courage..?

Did the Trekkies worry about losing the 'iconic musical language' of the Original Series...?

Star Trek proved there is more than one way to score a franchise.

Man, I would give my left nut for Williams to return to Star Wars, but I will never state that Star Wars 'won't be Star Wars' without John Williams.

Another composer could - like Goldsmith did with TMP - take Williams' themes and expand the musical landscape of Star Wars in ways some narrow minded fans just can't envision.

Star Wars isn't Star Wars anymore, so perhaps it's fine whoever scores it...however

No one has written a better Star Trek score than Goldsmith, though Horner came close, Giacchino struck out. If he gets a chance to write a Star Wars score you can anticipate his utter failure there too. Zimmer will likely write something horrific for Superman that the new fanboys will cream their pants over but film score music fans of quality scores will recognize as the dreck it it. The idea that he'd write a follow up to both Superman and Star Wars, well it's not for the faint of heart. But then of course the music of POTC is like Star Wars only way better.

Giacchino wil create a great SW score, if the producers are aiming for a classic williams sound and not a reboot-like sound.

BTW i want williams to score episodes VII, VIII and IX. In where, i hope, Luke, han and leia story ends.

Then they can make more films (but not 'saga episodes') which watever composer and musical direction they want.

I just think it's funny that Zimmer was immediately brought into the equation when a script hasn't even been written yet. Insecure fanboys.

Worst composer choice in cinema history? Cool your shit people.

wrong koray you're sounding alex cremmerish now. Zimmer must always be brought into the equation when a major film is in development. His undeniable popularity and his enormous productivity demands it.

Giacchino as well. regardless of how I regard them they have to be among the names discussed.

Nah, I think logic dictates that Disney executives will opt for a full blown orchestral score like the original Star Wars have.

I'd want Jeremy Soule, Mark Griskey, or Clint Bajakian. Giacchino would be fine. Anyone can cut and paste existing themes and make something that hopefully isn't dull and boring.

I don't even think Zimmer would be a terribly bad choice because of how much he says he reveres John Williams. I mean, what would he do, spend all of Episode VII with Luke not having a theme, and claim he has to earn it for Episode VIII? Riiiiight.

After all, the James Bond franchise didn't have to end when John Barry stepped down, which was long before he actually died.

I'd rather take a Zimmer Star Wars score over a Giacchino one. At the very least it'd have plenty of leitmotifs - something Gia isn't capable of all in one movie.

But Don Davis or Horner (in my dreams) would be preferable.

As much as I like Joey, he is completely 100 % wrong in his opinion about Michael Giacchino, but I guess everyone is has a fault or two. And he's not the only misinformed but that's life.

Koray, whether you're tired or not of the whining, Zimmer and his cronies are completely wrong for Star Wars unless Michael Bay directs the damn film.

Roald, Jerry Goldsmith scoring Star Trek was the best news outside of Williams taking the job himself.

I didn't mean to imply that I want an RCP score for this. Anything but, I don't think Zimmer is right for Star Wars unless they wanted to start fresh.

I was merely observing that people immediately started bashing, an in turn assuming he was a strong candidate to score. Their blind love for everything Williams obscures logical thinking. Building a fort when there are no attackers.

As much as I like Joey, he is completely 100 % wrong in his opinion about Michael Giacchino, but I guess everyone is has a fault or two. And he's not the only misinformed but that's life.

Koray, whether you're tired or not of the whining, Zimmer and his cronies are completely wrong for Star Wars unless Michael Bay directs the damn film.

Roald, Jerry Goldsmith scoring Star Trek was the best news outside of Williams taking the job himself.

Mark,my opinion that MG failed in his 2009 Star Trek score is as valid as yours that it succeeded. I do not think he is right for Star Wars, his unique and not very changing sound works in a lot of films, but any attempts he makes to follow John Williams will not turn out well. There are other composers better suited.

btw when listening to his MIIV score Dave commented how much it sounded like Star Trek. Indeed it did.

btw pt 2. I always felt that the prequels were not served well by using the Star Wars theme at the beginning, I really thought John should have composed something different that might interpolate the original theme but avoided it's direct use. Something that gave the prequels their own signature sound.

Koray, it's JWFAN, what else did you expect?

Joey, MI IV sounds nothing like Star Trek, and if that's the case; Harry Potter = Home Alone + Hook.

My suggestion would be for William Ross to score it then the whole damn board can argue that he didn't do a damn thing and it was all Williams.

And that's the thing that really matters about all of this: it gives us something new to bicker and argue about.

For years and years.

That the movies will eventually come out is secondary.

really Mark, I hear Star Trek 2009 in Mission Impossible quite a bit, perhaps it's just his style. It's much more obvious than JW and HP and Hook.

In your absence you must have missed some of my more flattering MG posts, I do not hate him, nor do I love him. He's okay in my book, but I expect much better out of him for Star Trek next time. With all his hype I expected something Horner good and did not get it. But now with expectations lower he has a better shot.

I'd want Jeremy Soule, Mark Griskey, or Clint Bajakian.

Why? Who are these people?

Karol

They have all adapted John Williams' themes for the scores for Star Wars video games.

Bajakian's theme for the darktroopers of Dark Forces would easily have a home in any film.

The original composition begins at 1:29.

bloodboal said something interesting.

ROTFLMAO hahaha, good one

I'm sorry, LeBlanc, but next time you post such an irrespectful comment, I will have no choice but to ban you for a week.

I'd thought you left, it is so difficult to get rid of fleas. ;):joke:

Giacchino has got a long way to go before he's at Horner's level. A long way.

He's pretty close to Horner and Arnold here:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okwGR22FhM4

I can hear at least three memorable themes here, Quint. And there is a fourth one as well.

Karol

At the very least it'd have plenty of leitmotifs - something Gia isn't capable of all in one movie.

:blink: wut

Please scroll down to "Themes" here.

http://www.jwfan.com...showtopic=17627

I count 5 major themes and 7 minor themes in this one score alone.

OK, but Star Trek is a long score you say. OK, how about a shorter score like Super 8?

http://www.jwfan.com...showtopic=20890

Oh right, that one has 10 themes.

Yeah, Giacchino isn't capable of "plenty of leitmotifs" in a score. No sirree bob

I'd rather take a Zimmer Star Wars score over a Giacchino one. At the very least it'd have plenty of leitmotifs - something Gia isn't capable of all in one movie.

Really? I mean Really?

Giacchino is no Shore writting middle earth music that's for sure but the man uses leitmotifs since he started composing videogames, for pete's sake.

He did never gave us a gem like the Joker siren though...

it doesn't matter how many themes there are if the music is so damned uninteresting. it's the whole a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound thing again.