Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

Quint is correct.

But I'd like to see any of the Pixar people mentioned above. JJ Abrams might pull off something good as well.

Also, given how well Skyfall turned out, maybe someone like Sam Mendes. Joe Johnston might be a good choice too.

Brad Bird seems to be the option best equipped to imbue a strong sense of whimsy and empathy in the story, which are foremost prerequisites in the Star Wars universe. Get those right and the lore will right itself.

Brad Bird has directed The Iron Giant (1999), The Incredibles (2004), Ratatouille (2007) (all of which he also wrote) and Mission: Impossible IV (2011). Before all that, he directed episodes from the golden years of The Simpsons, and wrote/directed the Family Dog episode of Amazing Stories.

After reading that many JWFANers want Brad Bird to direct Sar Wars VII and seeing his list of films, Cremers is probably thinking: What a bunch of retards!

Well, he has familiarized himself with animation ... so Star Wars sequels must be like playing at home to him. Other than that, I don't see it as a very intriguing combination. ;)

Paul W.S. Anderson: "Good! Soon they will be ringing on my doorbell."

Interesting idea. Maybe an animation director will have high standards for design, animation or CGI in the film. I remember John Carter, which funnily enough had the problem that they tried to make it too much like Star Wars, having some very cool visuals.

Also, given how well Skyfall turned out, maybe someone like Sam Mendes.

As long as we dont have to suffer a Star wars Newman score...

The only Newman star wars needs is the 20th century fox fanfare!

Nobody said back in 2000: "The ONLY man qualified to direct LOTR is Peter Jackson."

Nobody said back in 2000: "The ONLY man qualified to score LOTR is Howard Shore."

Nobody said back in 1989: "The ONLY man qualified to direct Dances With Wolves is Kevin Costner."

Likewise, nobody said in 1979: "The ONLY man qualified to score the Star Wars sequel is Irvin Kerschner."

Isn't it possible - like movie history has proven time and time again - that something good can come from someone we don't automatically expect to deliver it..?

Who here wasn't surpised by Howard Shore's beautiful LOTR scores...?

Who wasn't surprised that the director of 'Piranha II' could direct such great films like The Terminator or Aliens back in the mid 80's?

'Only Brad Bird can direct Star Wars VII', etc. WTF. Life - even in Hollywood - can be surprising. Think outside the box. Perhaps a new voice will rise or an older one who hasn't been quite heard yet will have his moment to shine (like Shore did with LOTR).

I'll just wait to see how this production develops, but I will be a bit more open minded than some here who - BTW - should really consider finding a job in LA since they obviously have figured out how the industry works.

Really? Some people suggested that Cuarón pushed Williams a bit too much to adjust the music for his movie, but I've never seen any evidence. Sources?

Notice how the whole segment after that with Darth Maul is told without the aid of any dialogue. If only Lucas would have the balls to make a whole Star Wars film like that ... two Jedi in pursuit of a masterful Sith Lord (think NCFOM). An experimental Star Wars film ... I would be game for that. Each new installment would be directed by a different artistic director who would have complete freedom. Imagine a Star wars movie seen through the eyes of David Fincher, David Lynch or Zack Snyder.

(BTW, Fincher and Lynch would say "No" to the proposition, Snyder would say "Yes!!!")

Alex

I just read this in the Review section, in the thread for Indy4's review of TPM, I find it kind of funny in light of recent news.

Nobody said back in 2000: "The ONLY man qualified to direct LOTR is Peter Jackson."

Nobody said back in 2000: "The ONLY man qualified to score LOTR is Howard Shore."

Nobody said back in 1989: "The ONLY man qualified to direct Dances With Wolves is Kevin Costner."

Likewise, nobody said in 1979: "The ONLY man qualified to score the Star Wars sequel is Irvin Kerschner."

Isn't it possible - like movie history has proven time and time again - that something good can come from someone we don't automatically expect to deliver it..?

Who here wasn't surpised by Howard Shore's beautiful LOTR scores...?

Who wasn't surprised that the director of 'Piranha II' could direct such great films like The Terminator or Aliens back in the mid 80's?

'Only Brad Bird can direct Star Wars VII', etc. WTF. Life - even in Hollywood - can be surprising. Think outside the box. Perhaps a new voice will rise or an older one who hasn't been quite heard yet will have his moment to shine (like Shore did with LOTR).

I'll just wait to see how this production develops, but I will be a bit more open minded than some here who - BTW - should really consider finding a job in LA since they obviously have figured out how the industry works.

Back in 1999, a lot of people said that the only man qualified to direct any further "Star Wars" movies, was one G. Lucas,esq.

Oh, dear...

An experimental Star Wars film? ROTFLMAO

You could argue the prequels were experimental because Lucas didn't seem to know what the hell he was doing.

You sound like your avatar.

Notice how the whole segment after that with Darth Maul is told without the aid of any dialogue. If only Lucas would have the balls to make a whole Star Wars film like that ... two Jedi in pursuit of a masterful Sith Lord (think NCFOM). An experimental Star Wars film ... I would be game for that. Each new installment would be directed by a different artistic director who would have complete freedom. Imagine a Star wars movie seen through the eyes of David Fincher, David Lynch or Zack Snyder.

(BTW, Fincher and Lynch would say "No" to the proposition, Snyder would say "Yes!!!")

Alex

I just read this in the Review section, in the thread for Indy4's review of TPM, I find it kind of funny in light of recent news.

Well, at least they did think of Snyder and not Fincher or Lynch ... :)

It's this kind of simplistic thinking and close-mindedness that reminds me where I am. Experimenting simply means to try new things. All the greats did it.

Alex

The Wachowski Brothers! Just imagine all the scenes of people asking questions and getting vague non-answers and bullet time lightsaber fights!

They're not brothers anymore, it's the Wachowski brother and sister. One of them got a lopitoffamy, remember?

Silent Bob and stoner dude can be the new pilots of the millennium falcon. They can spend the whole film trying to figure out how to do the Kessel Spice Run in less than 12 parsecs.

It's kinda funny, I fell in love with Star Wars from the prequels (although I do NOT rank them higher than the originals) but I don't think the prequels are bad at all so I always shake my head at the original star wars generation who scoff at the prequels just because they are not the originals but now I feel like I'm going to do the same for this new trilogy

I am going into this with an open mind, however. The whole Disney Marvel collaboration turned out quite well IMO with the Avengers so I am optimistic for Disney and Lucasfilms. Especially because the thought that the Star Wars saga will continue makes me very happy. After Harry Potter ended I was slightly heartbroken because I grew up with that, so having Star Wars to look forward to makes me feel like a little kid again. Otherwise I'm going to have to continue to fangirl over movies like Lincoln which is making me feel really old right now lol.

Can someone please verify this for me, it's going to have new writers and directors but Mr Lucas will have a look over everything to make sure it is to his liking?

Worse come to worst we should at least get some awesome CGI out of it, RotS was very impressive IMO.

I don't think Lucas will oversee it if it's to his liking? Why would he? And even if he wanted to, there is nothing he could do about it. He sold the rights.

I also don't think people scoff at the prequels for not being the originals. They scoff at them for being fucking cartoony parodies of Star Wars.

I don't think Lucas will oversee it if it's to his liking? Why would he? And even if he wanted to, there is nothing he could do about it. He sold the rights.

I also don't think people scoff at the prequels for not being the originals. They scoff at them for being fucking cartoony parodies of Star Wars.

I think its more of a Roddenberry on the Star Trek movies type of role. He will consult and have his say, but if Disney or Kathleen Kennedy feels differently for that matter, he is over-ruled. Lucas needs some one who will challenge him, so perhaps some of his ideas can actually be utilized properly unlike the prequels.

Short list is getting shorter. Apparently, Wes Anderson and Todd Phillips (The Hangover movies) are up next.

Paul W.S. Anderson: "YES! Oh wait, did they say Wes Anderson?"