Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

Henry Jackman for the music?

God I hope not.

Even if I don't 'get' Williams' approach, I'd still like someone who will give us a traditional, thematic score.

Obviously you haven't seen or heard Kick-Ass

His symphonic hero theme kicked ass. Ask KM.

Some of his music for Wreck it Ralph was pretty good. Nothing jumped out and screamed Star Wars, but it wasn't exactly the movie for that anyway.

If we're going with RCP guys, I of course nominate John Powell or Harry Gregson-Williams. I like their symphonic style a lot better than Jackman's -although Henry is quite a newcomer in the industry, we haven't heard everything he has to say.

If he respects Williams enough, I wouldn't mind.

I think this cue from the opening of the movie best demonstrates Jackman's grasp of stirring harmony (in the vein of Williams):

It's such a frustrating score in that the theme is never once given full service, no opportunity to stretch its legs; but word is Jackman has promised off record to work on that for the sequel, greatly encouraged by the feedback he he's had about it.

Man! Don't you remember what Koko told us many times?? A traditional, thematic score was exactly what Jackman wanted to do on X-Men: FIrst Class, but it was Vaughn who asked him to go all "synth-ish" (But I think Vaughn will ask him a traditional score if he does direct Episode VII).

Please, don't make Koko post about that again!

I was going to but you said it for me :P

:lol:

I'll admit I like that part and I can see where Vaughn might have been coming from. The use of it in the film is quite intense and gave me chills in the film (probably due to its sheer simplicity.) Vaughn uses it like if he was plastering music over a cross between James Bond and Jaws. But if that was Jackman's reaction I'm all the more curious about what he had in mind. Which might probably have been much better.

Well, in the Kick Ass director's video commentary he often commented in the score, saying he wanted it to sound JWesque in a few places

Kick Ass is one of my favorite recent movies,so I'd love Matthew Vaughn to do Star Wars

Is it possible this Matthew Vaughn talk is actually serious? I mean, I liked some scenes and directing from Kick-Ass and First Class. It's just that I don't find either of them to be really good. Mostly due to script issues. Should I see Layer Cake?

Honestly after the disaster of the last trilogy most options could produce something better, but while we're at it, I wouldn't settle with just "it's more entertaining than the last trilogy." They should have more ambition. And that they almost anhihilated Star Wars shouldn't make it okay that one might just keep screwing up many amazing possibilities within the SW universe.

Looking at the possible choices so far from the Empire SW directors page, the only options I would might actually trust are Vaughn and Del Toro. And Del Toro has other stuff to do (I hope... Saturn and the End of the Days, At the Mountains of Madness, finishing Pacific Rim, Frankenstein, 3993...)

I would hope that if it ever happened they would let him go bold with the story and the universe, instead of retreading too much.

I don't really want to see Han or Leia or their kids for that matter. That reeks too much of sequelitis for me. I would like it more new.

But if the script is being made, shouldn't they have the director already onboard to oversee what film is he doing?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to stand such a thing. Personally I'm more for a new independent thing in the same universe. A new episode I (not quality wise), that you could see without the previous ones. An Episode VII? No thanks! Secuelitis, secuelitis! This is probably because I'm not a fan of ROTJ. We'll see what happens.

I am aware we migth as well end up with a direct sequel to the same old story featuring the same characters and their descendants and their cousins and their in-laws and a Empire not entirely defeated and with far too much of George Lucas shadow over it. Ugh. Maybe with the Jedi again as the boring prequel kind of organized-yet-stupid monk order.

I think they could work in in Han and Leia, but not as the main characters. Maybe the Jedi Masters or something

Seeing Luke use his full power as a Jedi Master is probably the thing I look most forward to.

I would like for it to feature Luke, but with Han and Leia as more of supporting roles. Unless they take Leia the EU route and make here a Jedi.

Well,that's how Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher look now too

well less so Harrison because were used to seeing him

It would be easier for Mark to pull off as a wisened jedi master.

After actually thinking on it, it seems to me that Vaughn could be more suited for Star Wars than most who have done Star Wars. And it also seems to me among his roster of actors that he could pick again there are exxtremely interesting names to have in a SW film. Probably I should worry more about Disney/Lucasfilm themselves.

I'd approve of a Vaughn/Jackman collaboration, but I'd prefer a Bird/Giacchino one. I really don't care about Star Wars to be that interested either way. I saw Star Trek and I'll see Star Trek Into Darkness because of Abrams. Never seen a single film or episode other than that. If good filmmakers get behind Episode VII, I'll see it.

That can happen! Disney has Bird and Gia in good consideration and they surely would like to do many films under any excuse. With some luck, seeing it as an easy cash cow, they might even let the artists more loose than usual. Bird has said he isn't doing SW, he's doing something else, but afterwards, who knows.

There is many composers that could make the score, but it will be very sad watch to the Episode VII with Luke, Leia, Han and not hear a original score by Williams.

And worse, could imagine a Hans Zimmer score? Which would not be difficult if Gore Verbinski was chosen by Disney.

Well,that's how Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher look now too

well less so Harrison because were used to seeing him

That's what the world needs, a Star Wars version of Crystal Skull.

:pukeface:

Han Solo isn't the kind of character that should've even survived into his 60's or 70's like Harrison Ford. He would have perished in a blaze of glory or been finally taken out by vengeful bounty hunters.

That could actually be an interesting dynamic.

If we're talking non-Williams composers, Edward Shearmur seems like he'd have the chops for it. Sky Captain certainly had the lushness that a lot of other composers, though good, don't tend to demonstrate. Of course the fact that it's Star Wars could be the wild card with virtually anyone, whether Kennedy takes a strong enough hand with the sound of the score, or if a director really tunes in and wants the score to really sound like Star Wars, trends and modernity be damned. If Giacchino does score it, though, can we please, please, PLEASE get someone like Botnick or Steiner to record it?