Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

Somewhat shocked, and happy. Lucas as creative consultant, with new filmmakers getting a chance to inject new breath into the franchise? This can only be bad if John Williams does not score them. Otherwise, it can only lead to good things.

The chances of JW scoring these are miniscule. They'll take on someone young instead who will be tasked with adapting the original themes and working them into new score, like the games. They will never neglect the original themes.

When I read the news on Facebook I knew everyone would get batshit crazy around here :lol:

Practically don't care at all for Star Wars, but I'm sure JW will score at least the first movie. Not so sure about the others...

Although one must wonder if he wants to return to SW once again.

The chances of JW scoring these are miniscule. They'll take on someone young instead who will be tasked with adapting the original themes and working them into new score, like the games. They will never neglect the original themes.

True. However they did make it sound like Episodes 7,8, and 9 might relate to the trilogies we have based on what Lucas wrote. Then there would be other movies (like the clone wars). So in regards to 7 coming out in 2015, that's not all that long to wait and they might want Williams to act as the glue to tie it all together for those specific films. Plus, while Lucas took 3 years between each film, these next 3 might be cranked out much faster.

Oh boy, cue the JWFanboy flood. John Williams doesn't dominate the franchises he scores. Star Wars is as big as they come, and music has been composed for its universe by many different people. Why is this a big deal if he doesn't score? Even if he doesn't it'll just be a pastiche of generic filler and his themes like all the game and TV music has been.

Time to switch to big boy pants. You guys got over Zimmer scoring Superman didn't you, or is that still blasphemy in the film score world?

If Williams is involved in writing new scores: Great interest.

If Williams is involved with creating new themes for a young, talanted composer to intropolate and adapt into his own music, I'll have a fairly high amount of interest.

If WIlliams is only involved as in the re-use and adaptation of his pre-existing music, I'll have mediocre interest. The "meh" as some of you would say.

If the cut WIlliams music out completely (not gonna' happen), I will probably not watch them. Well, I may watch them out of curiosity and give them a chance, but I will probably wind up being as bitter and hateful as some of you guys are/were towards the SW prequel's, their scores, and the "Special Editions". :P

For me, the Star Wars movies have always been music videos to John Williams greatest master work. Without them... they'd be just another sci-fi movie. As in, little-to-no interest for me.

Oh boy, cue the JWFanboy flood. John Williams doesn't dominate the franchises he scores. Star Wars is as big as they come, and music has been composed for its universe by many different people. Why is this a big deal if he doesn't score? Even if he doesn't it'll just be a pastiche of generic filler and his themes like all the game and TV music has been.

Time to switch to big boy pants. You guys got over Zimmer scoring Superman didn't you, or is that still blasphemy in the film score world?

To be honest, the only true interesting thing penned by someone for this universe was Joel McNeely's SOTE. But, while I really enjoy that CD, it doesn't really feel or sound like SW to me.

Karol

I find this hard to believe...I'm still in shock.

I have no idea how much more you can expand on the SW Universe without making it seem like nothing more than a spin-off. And it makes me wonder how much this new trilogy will retain of its predecessors to still seem like a part of the Star Wars films and not like some form of fan-fiction like the Clone Wars did (even though they weren't technically that).

And its not a Star Wars score without John Williams...that's simply fact. None of the other scores actually felt like Star Wars and McNeely's score got the closest. Without Williams' score, it makes one wonder exactly how much of a Star Wars film this will be.

Unfortunately, it's very likely Williams won't be involved. He will probably be asked, but my guess is Williams will politely decline.

I just have a hard time envisioning this new SW trilogy...not that I care for them much, but it all seems like a big joke...

And its not a Star Wars score without John Williams...that's simply fact. None of the other scores actually felt like Star Wars and McNeely's score got the closest. Without Williams' score, it makes one wonder exactly how much of a Star Wars film this will be.

No that's an opinion. ;)

Despite the other scores not feeling like Star Wars, they were still Star Wars scores.

Heck some parts of RotS didn't sound like Star Wars, even though its an enjoyable score as a whole. SW has a specific soundscape to it, and hearing a different style attached to the score takes you out of the all-too-familiar SW universe. It'll simply reinforce the feeling that you're watching some sort of spin-off.

I'm sure we can all make our arguments about adding new voices to the Star War scores Koray, but I was referring to actual sound that only Williams would produce (composers who write in a similar style wouldn't sound the same even if they tried). That is an important part of the SW universe and is something that I feel is essential regardless of how awful the film could be.

That post may have sounded rather fanboy-ish, but that's how I see it.

First of all: Episode VII probably won't be directed or written by Lucas, so there is a good chance of getting the first decent SW film since Empire Strikes Back.

Secondly, Williams' once-in-a-century talent is too precious to waste on another one of these films.

And thirdly, it will be completely animated, and Hans Zimmer will end up scoring it.

It's good thing.

Now we'll have Star Wars movies every 2 years for eternity.

It will be like James Bond. Some will be good some will be bad, but we'll get new material

I hope JW can score the first few, but somehow I doubt it will happen

It's good thing.

It will be like James Bond. Some will be good some will be bad, but we'll get new material

Funny, my brother told me the exact same thing!

I personally don't see it...

yes, and forget about edgy films that would incorporate some sex and bloody scenes.

oh and JWFAN has topics of discussions to last for the next 10 years.,Maybe JWfan should be sold to Disney too, so all our topics could be sanitized before we can even read them

The good thing is that Lucas is no longer in charge and more talented writers and directors can now take a crack at the franchise. Time will have to tell if the new movies are good or not. It can easily go either way.

Does Disney have to own everything?

Disney will be greedy. Very greedy.

And why shouldn't they be since they have to recover 4,000,000,000 dollars? No not even that they have to turn a profit

There's so many more ways they can use to exploit Star Wars other than making more films. They'll earn profit from all the merchandise. And as Lucas mentioned, think of all the Star Wars related things they'll they can use in their amusement parks.

Top that off with a couple of Star Wars films and you've got some real cash on your hands.

It's good thing.

I hope JW can score the first few, but somehow I doubt it will happen

It took you several hours and 4 pages for you to get here? I thought you'd comment on the first page...

Will the film really be part 7 or just part 1 of a different story set in the same universe?

By the way, there goes my wish of Star Wars going public domain after the appropiate time. :( Disney is powerful enough to somehow keep rights to it for who knows how long, even if they didn't make SW in the first place.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. But at least Intrada has a working relationship with Disney now. If they are able to release JW's classics in complete form and the new films get good scores and releases (if not by JW, at least someone like Giacchino), I suppose it's well.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. But at least Intrada has a working relationship with Disney now. If they are able to release JW's classics in complete form and the new films get good scores and releases (if not by JW, at least someone like Giacchino), I suppose it's well.

I hope the substitute isn't Giacchino, then we'll never hear the end of the whole "Giacchino's the next Williams!" craze...

As much I like Giacchino, I don't think he would be a suitable candidate to score Star Wars. But then again, I don't think anyone besides Williams is.

I suppose if you had to bring someone other than the maestro, I'd say go with Joel McNeely. Although I doubt he would be brought on to the film.

Will the film really be part 7 or just part 1 of a different story set in the same universe?

I was wondering the same thing.

One thing is for sure even if JW doesn't score

I'd rather look forward to a new live action Star Wars movie than the next Avengers/ Iron Man Marvels films

Is there anyone at all in the film business with Williams like knowledge and ability that can write something for Star Wars?

As such. No

That videogame Grigsky guy can sort of get the spirit of the thing, but nowhere close to JW. You can easily tell when analyzing randomly edited game files when the music passes from mediocre to great

Desplat ruined the last 2 Potter scores so I would totally lose it if he took over SW

Maybe only Giacchino could do something half decent but after the hugely disappointing Star Trek I'm weary

With SoE, McNeely proved that he can get close to the spirit of Williams' music. I think he'd do a better job in staying close to the SW universe than Giacchino would.

We're losing a big part of the possible musical palette, it seems.

I'm listening to The Droid Invasion right now I can't indeed but wonder if anyone else would write stuff as cool as this for a Star Wars film. It just sounds... right, inevitable.

Surely there must be someone with great technical proficiency, familiarity with several kinds of music and a love for genuine grandeur and sweeping, dreamy soundscapes in the film business. Right? Someone who can write inevitable music that grabs the listener and plays with him like a puppet.

Crap, I don't even know if it's JW's particular musical quirks or what element is it that's making me say it.

The problem arises because John Wiliams isn't so much an interpreter of Star Wars, but a co-creator, he took it, started referential and ended up making it his own and shaping it. I don't even think about the SW films when I listen to it anymore, it's just that... oh, there's a film attached to the score.

I don't think I can explain myself correctly right now because I haven't slept in all night. I'm being incoherent.

With SoE, McNeely proved that he can get close to the spirit of Williams' music. I think he'd do a better job in staying close to the SW universe than Giacchino would.

Mc Neely wrote this one "score" that's pretty good. Unfortunatly the rest of what I heard from him not so much. If it sounds like Indiana Jones and the Phantom Train of Doom, forget it

It's hard to imagine the Star Wars films without the scores. They're such a significant part of the SW universe. Taking that away deprives it of a great part of its identity. Then it feels like you're watching something else...not Star Wars.

And there are composers out there who can write in the vein of Williams. They just haven't made it to the top yet, and so they'll never get big gigs like a Star Wars film.

I feel that way about the non Barry James Bond scores (except Live and Let Die)

One of the reasons the new Bond films do not feel "real" to me is the music

All we need now is Howard Shore to score the new SW films so we can have a real JWfan war between the LotR fanboys and JW purists

I can see where you're coming from. But the music's not all to blame. The films themselves have changed. They're different from the Bond films of the Barry days. The franchise as a whole has evolved with the times, and so I suppose the music had to as well.

Star Wars was still pretty much Star Wars with the prequels (despite the massive quality gap). But maybe it won't be the same SW in this new trilogy....not that I care much for it anyways.

My belief is that years after these new films have been released, people will still like look at the first six films. The originals that people liked and the the prequels that everyone hated. The rest will just be piled up with all those Clone Wars movies/shows as fan-fiction/spin-offs.

I can see where you're coming from. But the music's not all to blame. The films themselves have changed. They're different from the Bond films of the Barry days. The franchise as a whole has evolved with the times, and so I suppose the music had to as well.

Star Wars was still pretty much Star Wars with the prequels (despite the massive quality gap). But maybe it won't be the same SW in this new trilogy....not that I care much for it anyways.

The Phantom Menace is like a new fresh take on Star Wars. I enjoy it.

I mean, the score.

And there are composers out there who can write in the vein of Williams. They just haven't made it to the top yet, and so they'll never get big gigs like a Star Wars film.

Do you have names? I want to be optimistic today. And discover more music.

Wow. What a shocker! Lucas giving up his baby for an enormous pile of cash. Now he can sit on Kathy Kennedy's shoulder and guide (read "control") the new continuation of the SW franchise.

But if this could mean complete releases of Indy and SW scores by specialty labels in the future I am actually quite glad it happened.

My belief is that years after these new films have been released, people will still like look at the first six films. The originals that people liked and the the prequels that everyone hated. The rest will just be piled up with all those Clone Wars movies/shows as fan-fiction/spin-offs.

That's what I'm hoping for, but labeling the new films as "Episodes" is going to make that difficult.

Meanwhile, how do we even know Williams won't be returning? You never know, it's already less than three years away if they do the traditional May release.

An Episode VII would be boring, I think the film should be a different story.