Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

And its not a Star Wars score without John Williams...that's simply fact. None of the other scores actually felt like Star Wars and McNeely's score got the closest. Without Williams' score, it makes one wonder exactly how much of a Star Wars film this will be.

No that's an opinion. ;)

Despite the other scores not feeling like Star Wars, they were still Star Wars scores.

Whaaaa?

I wasn't particularly keen on the last two, but they are still undeniably Williams SW scores.

My belief is that years after these new films have been released, people will still like look at the first six films. The originals that people liked and the the prequels that everyone hated.

Sorry, but the part of the hated prequels is complete bull. Usually i am used better when i read your great reviews where you try to be objective and state the facts. But here you dismiss a whole generation who likes the prequels, who grow up with them. Not everyone is so fanatic like some of you (same old, same old) prequel bashers who always live in the past and bless the revered holy old trilogy (which had a big flawed film with RotJ which is worse than RotS by the way).

It's just ridiculous, don't act like the Old Trilogy is so much better than the prequels. I love the prequels, grew up with TPM and still regard TPM and RoTS as great films. AOTC has the flawed love story but on the other hand the brilliant mystery ObiWan/Kamino storyline and the fantastic Chase through Coruscant film noir parts...

My belief is that years after these new films have been released, people will still like look at the first six films. The originals that people liked and the the prequels that everyone hated. The rest will just be piled up with all those Clone Wars movies/shows as fan-fiction/spin-offs.

That's what I'm hoping for, but labeling the new films as "Episodes" is going to make that difficult.

Meanwhile, how do we even know Williams won't be returning? You never know, it's already less than three years away if they do the traditional May release.

You should know by now that people here tend to be pessimistic about it to not get too dissapointed when something like that doesn't happen (see Potter thread about JW scoring Deathly Hallows Part 2). So you will have all those people who say JW won't score it but in fact there is a high chance he will.

Lucas, Kennedy, Spielberg and Williams are all so closely connected that it creates a whole other situation than the final Potter film.

A few thoughts:

No Lucas probably means no wooden direction and performances. Characters might feel human again.

Here's Joss Whedon's chance to finally make an 'official' Star Wars movie. I bet he can't wait!

Didn't Lucas write Episode VII?

Has anyone seen what movies Disney makes?! http://en.wikipedia....l_feature_films

The original versions of the first trilogy will probably never see the light of day. I'm sure Lucas added a special clause to make sure of that.

Alex

The original versions of the first trilogy will probably never see the light of day. I'm sure Lucas added a special clause to make sure of that.

Alex

Yes, I think this might be the case. After all they want to "preserve what George has created".

Anyway, I'm sure he will get "story by" credit when the new film comes out. He said himself that the treatments for the new films are in place.

As bad as the prequels are, I reckon their fault lies in the execution. The basic premise and story is pretty interesting and I always liked it.

Karol

This is actually being discussed on the BBC News channel now. So they're gonna be casting brand new actors in the roles of Luke Skywalker, Leia and Han Solo and continuing on the story from RotJ.

I'd actually like them to turn out good. The magic of the originals will never be recaptured, but there's nothing to say decent writers, directors and astute casting can't make these good Star Wars movies in their own right.

Also, definitely expect an Indiana Jones reboot.

The writing, especially the dialog, is not so great either.

Doesn't matter, people love it anyway, as do I. The cheese and corn is part and parcel of what makes them great.

The writing, especially the dialog, is not so great either.

Well yeah, obviously. But I meant that I like the basic story how he constructed the trilogy. You know, in a synopsis kind of way. It didn't retread the orginal trilogy and that was a cool thing. Now, the problems start when he started writing the actual scripts.

Karol

No, I want

jorah-mormont-photo.png

He'd look good as a blue ghost.

Count me in if he's involved! He's born for playing a Jedi! My god!

You mean, Fassbender as Han Solo, Steef? Hmm, not sure.

They talked more ... normal.

BTW, I think Luke Skywalker should be a totally new face. Most of the Star Wars characters will be better served if they are played by unknown actors. Otherwise the film will become a funny parade of stars impersonating the Star Wars characters.

Alex

Lucas, Kennedy, Spielberg and Williams are all so closely connected that it creates a whole other situation than the final Potter film.

True, but the thing is, people aren't saying that he probably won't score the film(s) because Disney won't want him to, rather that he's getting too old for that shit.

You are perfectly right, that is the factor of uncertainty... will he be able to at his age

As bad as the prequels are, I reckon their fault lies in the execution. The basic premise and story is pretty interesting and I always liked it.

Karol

They are not bad

When I first saw this news, I thought it was a joke. Turns out, it is real. While I don't see any particular harm to it, I do wonder how it will all play out.

It's a weird development to be sure and I have to wonder... why? Lucas can't possibly have needed the money, so it must have been for a different reason, no?

Eg: JJ Abrams did not understand Star Trek. He made something decent, but it wasn't Star Trek.

Don't forget that in 1982, Nick Meyer "did not understand Star Trek" either, and while I'm unfamilar with the initial reception of the film, it is arguably different from the TV show and yet lives on as perhaps the most-loved film beneath that banner. I'm not saying that Abrams' movie, which I do enjoy, is in the same league, but it was better than having the franchise end with lousy Nemesis and a disappointing Enterprise-TNG crossover episode. If anything, it shows that Meyer got it right on day one, while Abrams gets at least another shot to woo the fogey fans.

At least Abrams' movie had the advantage of using time travel to allow him to "reboot" the classic franchise in an alternate timeline that does not interfere with the classic Shatner-Nimoy-Kelley era in any way, shape, or form (other than to most likely cause Nimoy's Spock to ultimately die in an alternate past instead of the "normal" future, which is still a better death than the "normal" Kirk got). Time travel does not really have any place in the Star Wars universe, other than during hyperspace accidents that would cause travellers to age extremely slowly and arrive in the "future." But hopping into the past? I'm not sure even the will of the Force can or should do that without deliberately cheapening the franchise.

Wait a minute, cheapen the franchise? Midichlorians, Jar-Jar Binks, and Darth Vader built Threepio. Ne'er mind.

And its not a Star Wars score without John Williams...that's simply fact. None of the other scores actually felt like Star Wars and McNeely's score got the closest. Without Williams' score, it makes one wonder exactly how much of a Star Wars film this will be.

No that's an opinion. ;)

Despite the other scores not feeling like Star Wars, they were still Star Wars scores.

Whaaaa?

I wasn't particularly keen on the last two, but they are still undeniably Williams SW scores.

I was talking about all the non-Williams Star Wars scores.

When I first saw this news, I thought it was a joke. Turns out, it is real. While I don't see any particular harm to it, I do wonder how it will all play out.

It's a weird development to be sure and I have to wonder... why? Lucas can't possibly have needed the money, so it must have been for a different reason, no?

Lucas explained it in the Disney PR. He's not going to live forever, he wants Star Wars to, so he's handing it over to people that will make the most of it.

Well i read this news yesterday at 1:00 AM, after a nine hour bus trip. So i was not lucid enough to post.

It was a great shock, i thought it was an april's fool or some internet rumour until i visited the offcial site and theforce.net.

I have mixed feelings.

For one thing it means Williams will not score the movies, since he wont live forever. And he may not be interested anymore, anyway.

Also the disney milking of the cow could be worse than Lucas' so i expect some great things to surface out of this arround a bid load of crappy things.

Shame.

Also, episodes VII, VIII and IX will never have hamill, fisher and ford so it is a shame. but well the PT had to re-cast existing characters too...

And the whole EU (my precious novels collection...) will be useless...

Furthermore, ILM may get diluted and stressed working on more things that it should, so it will maybe become just another sfx company. or it may close as Cameron's company did a few weeks ago... and the star wars film will not be 100% ILM films like always have.

Indy reboot... my god i hope not. make a tv cartoon or something....

Struzan will not make poster for further movies :(

On the other hand, some movies could be great. Joe johnston will finally be able to make his boba fett spin off movie.

Giacchino has to score the films. he was meant to :P

they may do the Shadow war chronicles into films (Willow sequel novels)

What should be done is get novel series and make trilogies based on them:

- definitive fall of the empire

- yuzhan vong attack

-legacy of the force

-fate of the jedi

if they could told the clone wars in two movies... they can do it again...

That young Harrison Ford/Han Solo impersonator really captures him - with proper filming, sound, editing, directing…he could pull it off in a sort of Ian McGregor ala Alec Guinness sort of way (not perfect, always to be compared with the original Obi Wan) but does the job if the writing were better. The problem I have though is I really think the way Han Solo is introduced in SW was perfect how he just emerged from the background.

I think the new trilogy will be comparable to Harry Potter. Different directors and composers brought their own spin on things but tried to keep it within a consistent framework. Of course HP was aided with the perfect cast being consistent. It would be pointless for a new set of composers to try to recreate the JW sound. They just can't pull it off. Similarly to HP, they'll bring their own thing and every now and then quote the original themes to sell it as a SW franchise.

If they do more movies, I think that will dilute the Star Wars legacy. In the end, this could me more harmful. If not financially (most certainly not), then artistically.

The prequels IMO were close enough to tarnishing the saga, more pre- se- or sidequels are dangerous.

The legacy is already diluted. That's beside the point. Disney knows that it stands to make a fortune by continuing the saga ad infinitum.

Truthfully, all the Disney company has to do to win back legions of fans is release the original theatrical cuts of the classic three on Blu-Ray and complete remastered soundtrack albums. If they do that, I don't care if they make fourteen movies about the Ewoks conquering the galaxy.

Maybe i get that wrong but isn't the whole point to say 'get stuffed' to the legions of fans and just make new movie for the CLONE WARS-generation? People who don't give a fuck about Greedo shooting first?

20th Century Fox owns the distribution rights to the Original trilogy, not Disney despite this deal.

that means we may finally get Star Wars on blu, the 1977 Star Wars.

Also the 1980 Empires Strikes Back, and '83 Return of the Jedi.

Lucas is now out of that loop.

Truthfully, all the Disney company has to do to win back legions of fans is release the original theatrical cuts of the classic three on Blu-Ray and complete remastered soundtrack albums.

This is not how a corporation thinks nor succeeds. The focus will not be to "win back legions of fans" but will be to grow new markets.

This is not how a corporation thinks nor succeeds. The focus will not be to "win back legions of fans" but will be to grow new markets.

I think you underestimate Bob Iger's difference with the old world "high-margin all about profit" Disney CEOs. The man, more than any other in Hollywood right now, gets it. And he gets it well.

I think you underestimate Bob Iger's difference with the old world "high-margin all about profit" Disney CEOs. The man, more than any other in Hollywood right now, gets it. And he gets it well.

I will be happy to be proven wrong but we'll see.

They'll be out within a few years. Those things will descend from the heavens in the eyes of the fans. They'll be a license to print money.

And at least I'll get to own the Star Wars trilogy on Blu.

Lucas is worth Billions and Billions, in my best Carl Sagan.

He's won regardless.

But inside he's a broken man, a failed artiste, a shamed writer, a social outcast, a fallen god, a stubborn gringe, an embarrassed film maker, a shrinking presence.

But yeah, he'll always be astoundingly rich. That must give him much joy and satisfaction.

That's the truest irony of it all. We'll complain and moan about new movies all we want now, but come 2015, we'll all be in line at some point to throw our hard-earned $16 at a 3D ticket to see it.

I said on the previous page that the news that the films will continue on from Jedi with Luke, Leia and Solo has definitely piqued my interest.

I wish Disney the best of luck and hope they can deliver a new era of entertaining Star Wars adventures.

That's the truest irony of it all. We'll complain and moan about new movies all we want now, but come 2015, we'll all be in line at some point to throw our hard-earned $16 at a 3D ticket to see it.

yes but this time I won't bitch at George, just Walt.

Koray, Star Wars is never dead as long as I remember the great film from 1977. Wojo put it best in another post about StarCrash and the beginning of Star Wars....what an experience.

I think that restarting the Luke/Han/Leia adventures will feel extremely forced and artificial with new actors. But it will remain to be seen, can they bridge this gap in time and capture some of the feel of the originals.