Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

So I noticed this updated from Aint It Cool:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59381

Fox retains ownership and distribution of all existing Star Wars movies (until that contract expires... UPDATE 4:: Episode 4 is owned "in perpituity" and all other existing movies are owned through 2020).

So I guess that means Fox will always own Episode 4? Does that possibly nix any chance of the original theatrical version being released? Perhaps not, I mean it just says owned by Fox, not Lucas. But wouldn't this make it hard to ever do any kind of box set again since Fox will always own Episode 4? Or am I reading this all wrong? Hmm...

Interesting!

And no, if the person in charge of Lucasfilm (ie Kathleen Kennedy soon) wants to release the original cuts, I'm sure Fox would not say "no". I'm sure Fox will be happy to release any new blu rays Lucasfilm wants to. They get guaranteed money every time!

There's no guarantee that Kathleen Kennedy gives a flying wookiee about releasing the original cuts anyway. Who knows what her plans are.

Why the LP? If they did the complete scores (right this time) you could have all the music. And then if you're not satisfied, the LP could be remade from that CD.

Who cares about the films? Give me the complete six scores! :)

Karol

I'm sure it has been discussed before, but is there anything missing from the double cds of the first trilogy?

I thought they were complete..

WHAT???? You mean Alexcremers would have to play record producer? B-b-b-b-but...

is there anything missing from the double cds of the first trilogy?

ROTJ is missing good sound.

Star Wars is 100% released (apart from some clean endings) and sounds fine

The Empire and Jedi both have music missing and wildly inferior sound quality issues

Star Wars is 100% released (apart from some clean endings) and sounds fine

The Empire and Jedi both have music missing and wildly inferior sound quality issues

ok thanks.

Can you direct me to any thread here that says what's missing?

Or is it like 1-2 cues from each score that you could mention here?

That doesn't even take into account whether you care about the two-disc ROTJ not including any version of Lapti Nek or Ewok Celebration, since they were cut out of the 1997 version, they don't "exist" in the continuity. The extended tuba solo of Jabba's Theme is also absent, but I can't recall if it's in the movie.

Who cares about the films? Give me the complete six scores! :)

Karol

I'm sure it has been discussed before, but is there anything missing from the double cds of the first trilogy?

What Wojo said. Oh, and the Jabba the Hutt Concert Suite, the film version of Victory Celebration and all versions of Ewok Celebration. Am I forgetting something else here for ROTJ specifically? Oh, yes, Lapti Nek and the Sail Barge Source Cue, and the actual opening of the end credits rather than the TESB end credits tacked on at the start.

ANH is actually pretty much complete as in all the music that would have been used was presented. But in all three cases, the sound quality is poor in comparison to others. Actually, notice anything about that? ANH is the most complete and ROTJ is the least. Maybe this would be a chance to do that right, and also the Prequel scores too, because eventually the complete scores for those will come out anyways.

And also, when they released that awful A Musical Journey DVD with ROTS soundtrack all the tracks from the OT sounded much better than the 1997 versions. So better sources must have been discovered. It is still pure speculation, I know.

Karol

There's been leaps in bounds in sound mastering technology since the 2CD sets came out in 1997, not to mention new and in better shape source material has been found since then. The original trilogy deserves the quality of treatment the boutique labels give to all their releases, then 1997 sets just don't cut it any more.

the 97 cd sound pretty good to me, how much more tweaking do they need.

I am actually hoping I can see Jedi without the Victory Celebration. I like that music as an alternative but it does not belong in Return of the Jedi

I am actually hoping I can see Jedi without the Victory Celebration. I like that music as an alternative but it does not belong in Return of the Jedi

yeah, i was just thinking how i miss the original ending, in the video above.

i think i haven't seen it for over 20 years, back when I had the film in VHS recorded from TV.

the new music is out of place completely..

I don't like the reports of new actors. I have only read that here (someone said from the BBC). New actors, new composer... it would be alien, and falling further and further from being Star Wars. Sure, I'd give them a shot and watch them the day they came out, but it would lose a great deal of interest for me, the lifelong fan who grew up on them.

But wait... If the new trilogy is set 30 years after the original one... why in God's name would they need new actors? It WILL be 30 years after the original trilogy! Luke would be the old "Obi-Wan-like" master that Lucas spoke about to Mark Hamill back in 1976. I've heard Carrie Fisher always wanted to be aboard new ones, unless she changed her mind. According to reports after ROTS, the hardest one to get along would be Ford, but considering his age and new directors, he may be open to it.

I hope they throw out all post-ROTJ Expanded Universe and go in a different direction. I find that so tepidly boring... I gave up on that stuff in the 1990s. I'm sure some of it is pretty good, but nothing that I read then was any.

As for the music, what.... am I the ONLY person who preferred the '97 'Victory Celebration'? I always hated both versions of the Ewok Celebrations. That's not saying that I don't enjoy owning them, but even as a kid I felt they wussified/baby-fied the finale of the OT in '83. And I was only like 8-9 years old at the time and I thought that!

And about the 2-LPs... I agree that the 2-LP of ESB is on my all-time want list. But I'll take a '100%-complete-and-remastered-with-newer-technology-from-better-source-material' scores if they give them. I'd prefer both (but I never get that).

Well, to tell you the truth, I don't need another Star Wars film.

And I would like it if it had stopped in the original trilogy! (even if I liked some minor parts of the new trilogy).

Some classic thing must be left as they are and not be the source of continuing exploitation..

imagine having 6-7 E.T. films. The original one would lose some of its impact.

By the way:

If a new Star Wars film is made, it won't be a surprise at all if Zimmer scores it.

they are going to start a new series (sword of the jedi) of novels that seems to be a passing of the torch to the new generation.

It would be great if they started the films in that era, and episode VII is the 1st novel in that series.

in fact,

there is a planned novel about the big three, crucible, that seems to have a big ending. Then a Jaina solo trilogy that is called Sword fo the Jedi. So no big series of novels yet planned post fate of the Jedi.

If i was Disney i Would start there and not ruin the EU.

And it wont be a ROTJ sequel since it will be like 50 yeasr after it. The big three would cameo as mentors or something.

If I were Harrison Ford, I wouldn't come within a drunken actor's kick of any new Star Wars movie.

Because he'd be the drunken actor. You see what I did there? Never mind.

Why the LP? If they did the complete scores (right this time) you could have all the music. And then if you're not satisfied, the LP could be remade from that CD.

Because I have the double LP and love the sound of the master that was used for this album. I also love how the music is presented on the LP. There's also a CD but the sound is inferior (perhaps a copy from a copy?) to that of the LP. I would settle for a very good transfer taken from a LP but I never found one.

And it wont be a ROTJ sequel since it will be like 50 yeasr after it. The big three would cameo as mentors or something.

Hate to burst your bubble, but practicall every news outlet I've seen this news on has stated that it will continue the adventures of Luke, leia and Han after Episode VI.

yeah, they will pass the torch. it was in one of GL original ideas (having the main characters aged and acting as mentors) and i think that the 1st trilogy they make will be based in some outline lucas has created.

in wont be set 4 ABY.

It CANT :folder:

in fact,

there is a planned novel about the big three, crucible, that seems to have a big ending. Then a Jaina solo trilogy that is called Sword fo the Jedi. So no big series of novels yet planned post fate of the Jedi.

If i was Disney i Would start there and not ruin the EU.

Exactly!, Disney should explore the expanded universe, it's more interesting.

I enjoy Zahn's novels. I enjoy The Courtship of Princess Leia. I adore the characters of Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Kyle Katarn and their continued adventures.

But the Yuzhan Vong try my patience. The death of Chewbacca is easily forgettable if you don't think about it. And the idea that a distant descendant of Luke becomes a new Sith master to enslave the galaxy decades and decades after ROTJ is just fuel to sell more comic books. And the resurrection of the Emperor in an unending line of clone bodies completely undermines the sacrifice of Anakin at the end of ROTJ, which fullfilled the prophecy that became the driving MacGuffin of the prequels -- "bring balance to the Force." (And if Palpatine could have put himself into clone bodies, why continue to look like a shriveled up disease victim, if he could choose to become young and dashing again?)

The EU suffers from the recylcing of the characters: the future of the galaxy hinges on people named Skywalker or Solo and their progeny. Everyone knows everyone, has been everywhere, and has had their hand in every issue to touch the galaxy for decades. Some of the EU stories are great, but most are boring and lackluster retreads of the movies.

My personal favorite stories in the EU would not be sequels to the OT but rather distant prequels. That's right, baby. Knights of the Old Republic.

But don't get me wrong. Put the Millennium Falcon back on the big screen, and I will weep big salty nerd tears.

We can't be concerned about the EU, remember the films are foundation for the entire Starwars Universe. Hopefully whoever takes on the project will at least be respectful to the existing material, I've always said George should stick to writing the story but not the screenplay or directing. Too bad Joss is tied up with Avengers and Shield, and JJ with Star Trek.

My belief is that years after these new films have been released, people will still like look at the first six films. The originals that people liked and the the prequels that everyone hated.

Sorry, but the part of the hated prequels is complete bull. Usually i am used better when i read your great reviews where you try to be objective and state the facts. But here you dismiss a whole generation who likes the prequels, who grow up with them. Not everyone is so fanatic like some of you (same old, same old) prequel bashers who always live in the past and bless the revered holy old trilogy (which had a big flawed film with RotJ which is worse than RotS by the way).

It's just ridiculous, don't act like the Old Trilogy is so much better than the prequels. I love the prequels, grew up with TPM and still regard TPM and RoTS as great films. AOTC has the flawed love story but on the other hand the brilliant mystery ObiWan/Kamino storyline and the fantastic Chase through Coruscant film noir parts...

I'm not some nostalgic viewer dwindling on the past. The original trilogy aren't my favourite films (although the scores are), I simply enjoy watching them. I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest poster here at JWFan. I grew up with the prequels as well and as a kid enjoyed them (although even then I found TPM to be rather dull). But when you're at that age, you don't see the films for its flaws. Looking back at it now, you start to cringe at Jar Jar Binks, the awful romance writing and the questionable acting. I've seen the prequels before I saw the originals and today I prefer the originals because they're better at being what they are than the prequels ever were.

But what I said had nothing to do with what I thought of the films. The prequels ARE in fact largely hated. And its not just the fans of the old trilpogy. I'm talking about the younger generation, my generation who grew up with prequels would still look back at it with distaste. Understandably, it still has a strong fan base, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of the audiences were not pleased with it. The prequels' fans simply do not make up that majority.

My belief is that years after these new films have been released, people will still like look at the first six films. The originals that people liked and the the prequels that everyone hated. The rest will just be piled up with all those Clone Wars movies/shows as fan-fiction/spin-offs.

That's what I'm hoping for, but labeling the new films as "Episodes" is going to make that difficult.

Meanwhile, how do we even know Williams won't be returning? You never know, it's already less than three years away if they do the traditional May release.

You should know by now that people here tend to be pessimistic about it to not get too dissapointed when something like that doesn't happen (see Potter thread about JW scoring Deathly Hallows Part 2). So you will have all those people who say JW won't score it but in fact there is a high chance he will.

Lucas, Kennedy, Spielberg and Williams are all so closely connected that it creates a whole other situation than the final Potter film.

I still think its highly unlikely that Williams will return and I'm not considering his age. Lucas wants to stay away from these films as much as he can. Its clear he wants to move on with his life and so his connection with the films won't be too great. Had Lucas stayed on, I'm sure Williams would have loved to stay true to the great old friendship and score these films, but without him in the process, I don't think Williams would want to work with a different director (especially if its one he's unfamiliar with) at this time of his career. And I seriously doubt Spielberg will be involved in any of this. Those old relationships aren't going to be exploited to bring Williams back.

I can see where you're coming from. But the music's not all to blame. The films themselves have changed. They're different from the Bond films of the Barry days. The franchise as a whole has evolved with the times, and so I suppose the music had to as well.

Star Wars was still pretty much Star Wars with the prequels (despite the massive quality gap). But maybe it won't be the same SW in this new trilogy....not that I care much for it anyways.

The Phantom Menace is like a new fresh take on Star Wars. I enjoy it.

I mean, the score.

It was a fresh take, and yet it still remains within the confines of the Star Wars musical tapestry. It still sounds like you're in that galaxy, far, far away. It was with Revenge of the Sith where Williams truly started to deviate from that established sound.

And there are composers out there who can write in the vein of Williams. They just haven't made it to the top yet, and so they'll never get big gigs like a Star Wars film.

Do you have names? I want to be optimistic today. And discover more music.

There are guys like Andrew Lockington who have learnt to write in the style of Williams work. But as is with the case with Giacchino, I don't about him scoring a Star Wars film.

Thinking about it now, I think John Debney would be a decent substitute (if we had to have one). Just listen to his score for the video game "Lair" or even the bombast of "Cutthroat Island". No doubt the man is capable of writing something in the vein of Williams. As I've often said about him, the composer knows how to be a chameleon.

David Arnold might also be an option to consider.

they have to set a new timeline ( no explored in the EU) with the new films (50 ABY)

Then once the new movies are in motion the EU can continue to expand upon them. Like it happened with the prequels.

If not they are going to screw everything.

Who knows... since now the films wont be G-Canon (george lucas created the prequels barely taking into consideration any of the EU)... the whole lucaslicensing people may try to not make continuity issues.

Thinking about it now, I think John Debney would the best substitute (if we had to have one). Just listen to his score for the video game "Lair" or even the bombast of "Cutthroat Island". No doubt this man is capable of writing a great Star Wars score that stays true to Williams. As I've often said about him, the composer knows how to be a chameleon.

David Arnold might also be an option to consider.

:blink:

l

:blink:

I don't know. Lair has Williams written all over it. He knows how to write in that style. That bit about "writing a great SW score" was admittedly strongly worded. But I think he'd write a decent substitute, or as good as any of them would get.

SW still wouldn't be SW without Williams though.

locura+homero.jpg

Could describe the expression after finding out that this is no April's fool ;)

There still is a chance that Williams might do at least the first of the new Starwars movies in 2015. If not expect Giacchino's take on the scores, he already did the Disney Star Tours rearrangements.

No Fox Fanfare, Giacchino doing a SW score... all of this just sounds so wrong if you ask me :s