Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

Matt C

Yeah I quite liked that Super 8 one during the movie actually, and the one at the end of Karol's John Carpenter suite was rather pretty, too. That's pretty much what I said: one per movie.

Part of the problem I have with Giacchino is the performance and recording quality is all just a bit humdrum and bland. There's no character there, little in the way of discernable timbre. It's just comfortable, inoffensive orchestral film music. I want to hear the musicians attacking the notes on the page and I want the engineer to slice that shit out and serve it to my ears on a plate.

Maybe he should fly to London for Star Wars Ep. 7.

Giacchino has written scores with some very good themes, of the kind that just get stuck in your head. In my head, at least. John Carter, Ratatouille, Roar, Lost, Super 8, Mission Impossible 4, Let Me In*, the Medal of Honor series. Going from rousing fanfares to spoooky ambiance to tongue in cheek madness to unashamed romance. And he's still growing slowly as a composer.

At this rate he'll start being rather underrated around here.

Also, live his music sounds incredible and Dan Wallin needs to go.

*Although I prefer the score for the original film by Johan Soderqvist.

Giacchino is good.

Dan Wallin is not (though I like "Last Crusade", "Matter, I Barely Know Her!" and "When You Go Black Hole")

Giacchino + LSO + Abbey road = awesome potential.

Specially if Simon Rhodes records it instead of Wallin....

That would be fantastic, but Giacchino always works with the Hollywood Studio Symphony.

The fact that's it's Disney bothers me. forget about any "edgy" Star Wars films. Everything will be sanitized family friendly

i dont see much difference between old marvel and disney marvel fims. agent coulson died in the avengers...

And touchstone is disney. warhorse had some non kid scenes. and i think there are some adult film and series in that brand

disney owns many brands, it does not mean that all have to comply with the 'disney way of life'.

The TV shows will always be kid friendly, but the movies may not be. Specially if they want liberty for the spin offs and keep in touch with audiences. (i mean if darker batman and superman is cool, then they may want to make a darker star wars centered on some character... like boba fett :)

Disney also owned Miramax for something like 7 years. Pulp Fiction anyone?

What KM is probably referring to is the Disney name itself, in which it's plastered above the movie's title. The Curse Of The Black Pearl was the first PG-13 Disney movie in that regard. Star Wars falls well into the tone of those films, so there's really nothing to worry about if you fear they'll kiddy it up. Lucas already did that with the Ewoks and Jar-Jar anyway.

disney sure does sanitized well after all there is nothing fey about Jack Sparrow

The actual production of the "sequel trilogy" will be under the management of Kathleen Kennedy. Hopefully she can fend off any unwanted directions that the studio sends out. She's no lightweight in this industry, I think she can hold them off should their greed take the franchise to a nasty place. I sincerely hope 20th Century Fox can still be retained for distribution, but I doubt it...hard to imagine a SW movie without the Fox Fanfare.

The first time I heard Giacchino's work was for the video game "Lost World: Jurassic Park" for Playstation. I still have the soundtrack. It was pretty good and the liner notes talk about his attempt to recreate a John Williams' like sound for the game. It was a good effort. In the short list of composers that are suitable to take the baton from JW, he should be considered. It still pains me to think of a SW movie without JW...just doesn't feel right. If JW takes the assignment and has the energy to complete them, I'd feel a helluva lot better about this new SW thing. Right now, it just makes me nervous.

Mr. K

If you read through this thread it's almost like it is already decided Michael Giacchino (of all people) should be the composer for episode 7.

Is there anyone who would consider a Williams score...??

Are you really too blind to realize that no one actually thinks Williams will score this, so they're throwing out thoughts about who should? I guarantee you everyone here wants Williams to return.

I am not so sure about that, that's my point.

Just got my power back and this happened!

I think Lucas was smart to unload his company. He has received so much hate for his poor decisions over the last twenty years, I'm sure he's had enough of it and wants to enjoy his golden years. Selling off his legacy seems weird to me, especially since he does have children, but this way he is allowed to dedicate his remaining years to charity which seems to be a passion for him so all the more to him. He realized that he had a great opportunity to help people and did what I'm sure was a very hard thing which I'm sure he will regret until the day he dies. I think the act of selling the company and in turn giving most of the money to charity will probably buy him a lot of good vibes and perhaps ten years from now the fans will look more fondly on him and treat him without disdain (not that he didn't bring a lot of it on himself).

As for any potential new films, I hope the reports are true and Disney aren't going to be hampered by the countless books which I never viewed as anything other than published fan fiction. I understand many like them and that's great, but they were never my thing and I hope for some interesting stories from the post-ROTJ era. There's plenty of room for two lines of stories post ROTJ so I hope fans that get bogged down with the whole idea of canon. I never have been able to comprehend why people are so bent on someone else telling them what is and isn't part of the story of Star Wars. The universe can be whatever you want it to be and hopefully if these new films indeed diverge from the books fans will be able to follow this philosophy.

In regards to any new films, I just hope the Pixar guys get involved. There are some really good directors working for that company and I hope one of them gets the opportunity to tell an interesting story. Star Wars is such a huge brand it doesn't need name brand actors to tell the story, so hopefully Disney will not fill the films with a bunch of twenty somethings from the Disney Channel. As far as the music goes, I have pretty much accepted Williams is done with the franchise and I can't say I'm that upset. I have never been a big fan of any of the prequel scores aside from bits and pieces so it'd be interesting to see what someone else can bring. I'm a big Giacchino fan so I'm all for him stepping in, but it would hardly be a deal breaker to see someone else.

Now, if I see a trailer that says produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, Directed by Gore Verbinski I will run and hide, but I am very interested for the next phase of Star Wars.

You guys still think Disney will ruin the SW brand even more? There's nothing sanitized or twee about The Avengers, nor did you see any of Disney's flavor-of-the-month stars in it.

Disney is going to let Lucasfilm, ILM, and Skywalker Sound operate as normal. Ownership of Lucasfilm Ltd. is more bragging rights and merchandising opportunities than actively changing the brand.

Plus, Alan Horn is chairman at Disney Studios. He's had experience shepherding the revived Batman franchise and all eight HP films while he was CEO at Warner Brothers, so he knows what works and what doesn't.

Only JWFan can take the most interesting entertainment news in over a decade and turn it into the most tired debate imaginable. ;)

Seriously. What we need is a second thread entitled "Disney/Lucasfilm and the Star Wars Sequels - NO DISCUSSION OF MUSIC ALLOWED."

You guys still think Disney will ruin the SW brand even more? There's nothing sanitized or twee about The Avengers, nor did you see any of Disney's flavor-of-the-month stars in it.

Disney is going to let Lucasfilm, ILM, and Skywalker Sound operate as normal. Ownership of Lucasfilm Ltd. is more bragging rights and merchandising opportunities than actively changing the brand.

I'm inclined to agree. I doubt we'll be getting a Disney-fied version of Star Wars...simply a Disney-owned version. Of course, it remains to be seen whether it'll be any good, but honestly, I can see it going either way. And in the event that things end up badly, the fact that these films will be produced by such a wildly different crew in such wildly different circumstances makes it easier to distance them from the original (and, to a lesser extent, prequel) trilogy.

Plus, Alan Horn is chairman at Disney Studios. He's had experience shepherding the revived Batman franchise and all eight HP films while he was CEO at Warner Brothers, so he knows what works and what doesn't.

Shush with your common sense, you're ruining KM's enjoyment.

I think Bill Murray should do the music.

:)

Great idea, Joey, I'm in for something fresh and new. Most here want more of the same but not as good as the real thing. I want new textures, new emotions, new perspectives, new thoughts. For the new Star Wars films to be great, they need to find their own identity.

Alex

About Disney changing the formula, probably not but you never know in this age of reboots. I certainly hope so. I believe that you can bring Star Wars without desperately trying to carbon copy it. Then again, not sure if Star Wars crowd is an open-minded crowd.

About Disney changing the formula, probably not but you never know in this age of reboots. I certainly hope so. I believe that you can bring Star Wars without desperately trying to carbon copy it. Then again, not sure if Star Wars crowd is an open-minded crowd.

Well I am, but the flaw in your thinking is that you assume Disney is going to make new Star Wars films for the 'existing, old-school' Star Wars fans. They're not. They are going to target a new audience and the kids who grew up with The Clone Wars. They have a vastly different look on Star Wars and their expectations are different as well.

'The Star Wars crowd' does not exist. Only in a two-dimensional world do such stereotypes and generalizations work.

PS. Interesting rumors over at Marketsaw.blogspot.com

http://marketsaw.blogspot.nl/2012/11/exclusive-more-secret-details-revealed.html

Well I am, but the flaw in your thinking is that you assume Disney is going to make new Star Wars films for the 'existing, old-school' Star Wars fans.

They tried making an old-fashioned sci-fi adventure romp recently. It was called John Carter and bombed big time. They won't make the same mistake again.

The Clone Wars.

Which has more OT elements than the PT.

Exactly. When Lucas isn't so hands on they've proven Star Wars can be expanded upon the originals.