US Cinemas showing The Lord Of The Rings: Extended Edition marathon December 8th and 9th!!

Jay

I'm so happy - I'm definitely going!

“The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy Extended Cut Marathon Coming to U.S. Theaters December 8-9

BURBANK, CALIF. — Moviegoers who are eagerly anticipating the December 14 release of the epic fantasy adventure “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” will be able to secure their seats over a month in advance when tickets go on sale, online and in theaters across North America, at 12:00pm Eastern Time, on Wednesday, November 7.

The film, a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), is the first in Peter Jackson’s highly anticipated trilogy adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. Being released domestically by Warner Bros. Pictures, all three films in “The Hobbit” Trilogy tell a continuous story set in Middle-earth 60 years before “The Lord of the Rings,” which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar®-winning “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

As part of the celebration, moviegoers will have the opportunity to re-experience Middle-earth in big screen marathons of “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy in their Extended Cut editions on Saturday, December 8, and Sunday, December 9. Tickets for these all-day events will also go on sale, online and in theaters throughout the U.S., at noon Eastern time on Wednesday, November 7.

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who joins the Wizard Gandalf and 13 Dwarves, led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield, on an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug.

Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, the character he played in “The Lord of the Rings” Trilogy, with Martin Freeman in the central role of Bilbo Baggins, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield. Also reprising their roles from “The Lord of the Rings” in “The Hobbit” Trilogy are: Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Ian Holm as the elder Bilbo; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; and Andy Serkis as Gollum. The international ensemble cast of the trilogy also includes (in alphabetical order) Manu Bennett, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Barry Humphries, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, James Nesbitt, Dean O’Gorman, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott and Aidan Turner.

The screenplay for “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” is by Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson & Guillermo del Toro. Jackson is also producing the film, together with Carolynne Cunningham, Zane Weiner and Fran Walsh. The executive producers are Alan Horn, Toby Emmerich, Ken Kamins and Carolyn Blackwood, with Boyens and Eileen Moran serving as co-producers.

Under Jackson’s direction, “The Hobbit” Trilogy has been shot in 3D 48 frames-per-second and will be released in High Frame Rate 3D (HFR 3D), other 3D formats, IMAX and 2D. Production has taken place at Jackson's own facilities in Miramar, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

Among the creative behind-the-scenes team returning to Jackson’s crew were director of photography Andrew Lesnie, production designer Dan Hennah, conceptual designers Alan Lee and John Howe, composer Howard Shore and make-up and hair designer Peter King. The film is edited by Jabez Olssen. The costumes were designed by Ann Maskrey, Richard Taylor and Bob Buck.

Taylor also oversaw the design and production of weaponry, armor and prosthetics, which were once again being made by the award-winning Weta Workshop. Weta Digital took on the visual effects for the films, led by the film’s visual effects supervisor, Joe Letteri. Post production is taking place at Park Road Post Production in Wellington.

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and the second and third films of the trilogy are productions of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), with New Line managing production. Warner Bros. Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television distribution being handled by MGM.

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” will be released in the U.S. on December 14, 2012, with the second film, “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” releasing December 13, 2013, and the third film, “The Hobbit: There and Back Again” slated for July 18, 2014.

Find it playing at your local AMC: http://www.amctheatres.com/movies/the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy?showdatetime=12-8-2012

Find it playing at your local Regal: http://regmovies.com/Movies/Movie-Folder/2012/Lord-of-the-Rings-Trilogy-Marathon-160268?date=12/08/2012'>http://regmovies.com...date=12/08/2012

I'm sure its playing at other theaters too; Check your local listings!

Near me it's also playing at the Cinemaworld in Lincoln RI

http://www.cinemaworldonline.com/lincoln/showtimesdetail.asp?title=*LORD_THE_RINGS_MARATHON&FilmID=LO52&poster=LORDTHERINGSMARATHON.jpg'>http://www.cinemawor...NGSMARATHON.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2003, I went to a marathon at my local theater the day before ROTK opened. We got to see the FOTR:EE and TTT:EE on the big screen, and then at 10pm we got to see ROTK for the first time. It was a great day. Got a free collectible too.

The marathon is listed at 13 1/2 hours.

Which is curious, because FOTREE is 3 1/2 hours, TTT is 3 hours 45 minuets, and ROTK is 4 hours 20 minutes, which totals 11 hours 35 minutes. Are they really going to have an hour off between each film? I doubt it. Most marathons have 20 minutes between each film.

So I betcha it's more like (if you went to one that started at 10am)

FOTR 10am-130pm

TTT 150pm-535pm

ROTK 555pm-1015pm

i think the LOTR marathon in 2003 had 30-40 minutes between each film. i remember doing a Burger King run (it was right down the street)

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the BR box of TLOTR specifically so I could sit in my own comfy chair with my own snacks and tasty beverages and watch the movies at my own pace. Besides, I have plans on both days this weekend.

Why?

The three extended editions are 724 minutes (that's what the cinema web page shows), times two, that's roughly 24 hours. And I though a day had 24 hours. Maybe not at the Black Lodge.

Why are you doing the marathon twice?

I'm going Sunday morning to the marathon in Lincoln, RI.

FOTR from 10am-130pm

TTT from 2pm-545pm

ROTK from 615pm-1035pm

Can't wait!

Why?

The three extended editions are 724 minutes (that's what the cinema web page shows), times two, that's roughly 24 hours. And I though a day had 24 hours. Maybe not at the Black Lodge.

xwaNA.gif

Why?

xwaNA.gif

I don't get it.

British homour must be beyond me.

There were about 15 people at the showing I went to. There were more last year, but that was in Atlanta, and one LotR movie per week was more manageable. The theater staff all seemed like big LotR fans, and they all bemoaned the success of the recent Twilight marathon compared to the LotR marathon.

The theater never received the Peter Jackson intros, so we missed those, but seeing the films again was fantastic.

I was definitely emotionally completely spent after this affair. Cut RotK's paths of the dead expansion and you have a flawless trilogy. It struck me how flawless the movies flow into each other.

Many effects, particulary miniatures, are outstanding even by today's standards.

Masterpiece is too small a word for this gigantic 12 hour movie.

I'll be starting my own LotR marathon at home (since I don't think any Canadian cinemas are playing this marathon). Can't wait!

Seeing Fellowship on the big screen again was absolutely awesome. Its still easily my favorite of the three, theatrical or extended. And its the best extended, with no scenes I really wish weren't back in.

It had a Peter Jackson intro beforehand which was cool.

The digital presentation included the full fan club end credits which was cool cause I got to hear the alternate Breaking of the Fellowship in awesome sound.

On to Two Towers!

Forgot to mention more people than just me are here :) two of my friends ended up joining me, and there's probably 20 people total at the marathon. Though everyone's been leaving shortly after the credits start, only I'm here listening to the music now.

Two Towers is still very enjoyable despite being the most unusual of the there, and the most non-Tolkien. I noticed for the first time today how much small Tolkien tidbits they snuck into FOTR, and how many The Hobbit references. Little things like calling Legolas the son of Thranduil and Gimli the son of Gloin, but also Bilbo talking about wanting to see Mirkwood and The Lonely Mountain again, etc. Also I took note of how the stoned trolls from The Hobbit were positioned, will be interesting to see if they look exactly like that in AUJ (I'm sure they will)

Anyway back to TTT its the only one that really gets bogged down in the middle. Really up through Frodo and Sam's capture by Faramir everything is great and just about as good as anything in FOTR. But then it just gets really bogged down by scenes with Arwen, Elrond, and Galadriel, and way too much time is spent after the first arrival at Helms Deep before the battle finally begins. You could cut a lot out here and have a significantly tighter movie. Now don't get me wrong I love spending time in Middle Earth, its just that these scenes are among the least interesting and least important in the trilogy. Actually, I quite like the scenes of Arwen/Aragorn and then Elrond/Aragorn/Arwen that take place during FOTR, just before the Fellowship leaves Rivendell..... I'd prefer a cut of the film where those scenes appear in sequence rather than as flashbacks later. Also I was thinking an interesting idea would be to also show the Boromir/Faramir/Denethor Osgiliath flashback in sequence as well... like after Elrond and Gandalfs talk he can say he has called a council, and then show that scene. Heck if they could film a scene of Thranduil sending Legolas to the council, and Gimlin and Gloin deciding to go, etc. Oh well wishful thinking.

Looking forward to ROTK now, its the one out of the trilogy I've seen the least amount of times... theatrical and especially extended. Woo hoo!

The scenes between Elrond, Arwen and Elrond are among my favourites. Come on, "The Story Foretolk", the flash forward to Arwen's and Aragorn's future, it's surely one of the most poetic parts in all three films. A highlight.