Come on guys, he isn't old!

Jair Crawford

I thought you guys meant he tinkered with film scores, not concert versions of themes and such.

His three last scores have been perfect, if there even is such a thing.

I agree.

I've heard him say something to that effect in person, about going back and revisiting material. John C probably remembers it better than I do.

I've never heard about Williams revisiting old film scores. Proof?

New arrangement of Marion's Theme?

That's a concert arrangement. The dude said he goes back and rewrites stuff for his own pleasure.

Exactly my point!

I know my grandfather doesn't. Once his work is published he doesn't re-write any of it.

I knew he revisited his concert pieces, but not his film scores. I'm just curious, as I've never heard about it before.

Anyone who creates things goes back and revisits many of them.

If you don't believe it, it's time to stop consuming things and start making things.

Not everyone who creates is a meticulous reviser. Whenever a colleague pointed out a "mistake" in one of Dmitri Shostakovich's compositions, he invariably responded, "Oh, I'll fix that in my next piece." I'd bet with today's scoring tendencies it is the exception rather than the rule. The point I was trying to make is that by all accounts, JW does not have a lazy bone in his body and there aren't many others about whom the same could be said. The work ethic finds its way into the details of the score where other composers might skip. This nuance and attention to all details is rare.

That's a concert arrangement. The dude said he goes back and rewrites stuff for his own pleasure. I call bullshit.

I think you don't understand the mindset of an artist.

He doesn't "rewrite stuff" for pleasure, it's an inner driving force to achieve perfection. And trust me, it doesn't feel like pleasure. You may feel pleasure once you've "corrected" something, but that passes.

Artists always think they can do better. In fact, Williams even said so himself that he often thinks he would like to correct stuff when he sees the movie or hears it.

He revisits scores when preparing concert performances, but he sure doesn't go back and rewrite pieces for projects long finished. Sure he may think, "I could have done that better" but he's not getting out his old scores and making revisions. He has often stated that he rarely thinks about his earlier work, except when preparing concert arrangements, he's always working on the next project.

That's a concert arrangement. The dude said he goes back and rewrites stuff for his own pleasure. I call bullshit.

I think you don't understand the mindset of an artist.

He doesn't "rewrite stuff" for pleasure, it's an inner driving force to achieve perfection. And trust me, it doesn't feel like pleasure. You may feel pleasure once you've "corrected" something, but that passes.

Artists always think they can do better. In fact, Williams even said so himself that he often thinks he would like to correct stuff when he sees the movie or hears it.

I understand that, it's why I never finished the novel I started years ago.

He revisits scores when preparing concert performances, but he sure doesn't go back and rewrite pieces for projects long finished. Sure he may think, "I could have done that better" but he's not getting out his old scores and making revisions. He has often stated that he rarely thinks about his earlier work, except when preparing concert arrangements, he's always working on the next project.

This.