55Th Annual Grammy Awards (John Williams nominated for Tintin OST)

Sandor

Why wasn't Tintin or War Horse nominated for a Grammy Award...?

Just wondering, since Williams has a pretty good standing when it comes to Grammy nominations especially in the last 10 years. Anyone know...?

We don't know if it has or hasn't yet, actually. The most recent Grammy Awards (the 54th) were held in February of 2012, and they were for albums released from July 2010 through July 2011.

The 55th annual Grammy Awards, being held Feb 10th 2013, will reward albums released from July 2011 to July 2012. We find out who is nominated on December 5th.

• 4 weeks later...

It is, and I'd say no but I'm not hugely familiar with the Grammy's voting tendencies. I think it speaks volumes to the quality of the music when it's up there against Hollywood's biggest composers.

Have you listened to it? I am considering checking it out, but I need a recommendation first.

The Grammy period is october to september, I believe.

I wonder why there weren't any film scores represented in the Instrumental Composition category this year ... I think perhaps the rules have changed and film scores are excluded from this category, no?

Why are the Grammys always more than a year out of date?

Pretty uninspiring list if you ask me.

I just merged two threads together about this year's Grammys. See my explanation in the second post of the thread.

It is, and I'd say no but I'm not hugely familiar with the Grammy's voting tendencies. I think it speaks volumes to the quality of the music when it's up there against Hollywood's biggest composers.

Have you listened to it? I am considering checking it out, but I need a recommendation first.

Oh yes, I have listened to it several times. Played the game at least three times through when it came out earlier in the year. Been listening to the sample cues Wintory sent out through his newsletter since, because I have been waiting for the physical CD to be released. I finally received that a couple days ago, signed by Wintory and a couple others to boot.

Incanus is also a big fan, you can read his review here.

Wintory's work for Journey is certainly worth checking out. He balances the ambient textures and melodic writing with deft hand in this work. Nice to see him getting a Grammy nod as a recognition for his work. He is in pretty brilliant company alongside the Hollywood heavy weights. :)

Congratulations to Maestro for the nomination and let's hope he will win!

• 2 months later...

I believe I've made my feelings previously known on how disappointing both film and score were.

The fact they are proceeding with a sequel is mind boggling given the poor box office. The overseas was better but not anywhere near what one would expect to proceed with another film.

I must admit, I was surprised that Tintin got nominated and WH was not. I agree that the latter was far superior, even though I would be happy if Tintin had won.

I believe I've made my feelings previously known on how disappointing both film and score were.

The fact they are proceeding with a sequel is mind boggling given the poor box office. The overseas was better but not anywhere near what one would expect to proceed with another film.

It made about as much as Star Trek 09 did, worldwide. Nobody's questioning a sequel for that.

That's because Star Trek more than tripled Tintin's domestic take.

But studios can now recover some of their losses overseas because it appears foreign audiences aren't as hard on bombs as US audiences are, or so it seems.

But studios can now recover some of their losses overseas because it appears foreign audiences aren't as hard on bombs as US audiences are, or so it seems.

Or you could rephrase it and claim that US audiences don't appreciate good films.

In my opinion, Tintin was fantastic, and everything I could have wished for from a new Indy movie.

A worldwide gross is a worldwide gross. Star Trek tripled Tintin's take in the USA, sure, but Tintin doubled Star Trek's overseas haul. Both were moneymakers, but simply played better in different markets.

I don't think the USA was a top priority for Tintin, anyway, as opposed to Europe/Asia where it was released earlier and (apparently) marketed heavier, and it'll probably be similar for the sequel. The USA's lukewarm reception was a blow, but it had already doubled its production budget of $135 million by the time its stateside debut rolled around, and the States pushed it up over 2.5 times its budget. Not an out-and-out smash on the level of Pixar/Dreamworks, but good enough for a sequel.

Or you could rephrase it and claim that US audiences don't appreciate good films.

In my opinion, Tintin was fantastic, and everything I could have wished for from a new Indy movie.

So the Total Recall remake was that good? ;)