John Williams Music Suggestions

Jair Crawford

These are what I usually listen to from JW. But I'd like to expand my repertoire a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions about scores, suites, tracks, or cues that I am missing and absolutely need to give a listen to?

Unknown Album (1956) -

Hello (Piano Solo)

I Passed For White -

Intro, Main Theme, and Jazz Concert

Gidget Goes To Rome -

Main Theme

The Rare Breed -

Suite

Jane Eyre -

Main Theme

The Towering Inferno -

Main Theme

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind -

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind/When You Wish Upon A Star Medley

The Fury -

Death On The Carousel And End Titles

Star Wars Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back -

Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure Of Boba Fett Medley

Dracula -

Main Titles and Storm

Star Wars Episode VI : Return Of The Jedi -

Battle of Endor I Medley

Battle of Endor II Medley

Battle of Endor III Medley

Luke And Leia

Concerto For Tuba And Orchestra

Spacecamp -

Main Theme

The Witches Of Eastwick -

Seduction Of Suki And Ballroom Scene

Destruction Of Daryl

Born On The Fourth Of July -

Suite

Concerto For Bassoon And Orchestra (Five Sacred Trees)

Jurrassic Park -

Main Theme

Schindler's List -

Main Theme

Concerto For Cello And Orchestra

Summon The Heroes

Star Wars Episode I : The Phantom Menace -

Anakin's Theme

The Droid Invasion And Appearance Of Darth Maul

Duel Of The Fates

AI: Artificial Intelligence -

Where Dreams Are Born

Star Wars Episode II : Attack Of The Clones -

Love Pledge And The Arena

Concerto For Horn And Orchestra

Soundings

Star Wars Episode III : Revenge Of The Sith -

Anakin's Betrayal

Padme's Ruminations

Anakin's Dark Deeds

Enter Lord Vader

The Immolation Scene

A New Hope And End Credits

LOL Well maybe I should have explained that I'm trying to expand my 'best of' playlist. Now as for Indy and HP, I know the main themes, but would be more interested in exploring some of the other tracks in the score.

Good list. I'm actually very surprised by no Indy music. Just mentally trying to simplify all the Indy scores to 3 or 4 tracks has taken too long. :) I would recommend listing to all 4, Personally I would start with Temple of Doom. And if, for some depressing reason, you could only listen to one track, i Might go with temple of doom, end credits, but man, that's a tough call. Go with all 4. For me, they are the pinnacle of JW.

Thanks russds I'll definitely check those out. I guess I never got around to it because, well, the Indy main theme is just not one of my favorite JWs moments. But I'll explore the scores for sure. There's gotta be great stuff in there. It'll probably end up like my Star Wars lists though. Not as many main themes as other tracks. lol

I know how it is sometimes - you know the main themes, but want to get a taste of the other music, and just frankly don't have time to sit and listen to the whole score. My first recommendation would be to listen to all 4 Indy's scores a coupel times, and chose for yourself, but if time is limited, and you want my opinion:

ToD: Slave Children's Crusade

Last Cruase: Indy's First Adventure

ToD: Nocternal Activities

ToD: The Mine Car Chase

Raiders: The Miracle of the Ark

Raiders: Desert Chase

It's tough, they are all so good. But there's some that come to my mind first.

Now as for Indy and HP, I know the main themes, but would be more interested in exploring some of the other tracks in the score.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is a bit lighter in tone and style than Raiders although not as splashy and colorful as Temple of Doom. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the darkest and the gloomiest of them all in overall tone.

Crystal Skull is the most uninteresting and the weakest. It doesn't even make the cut as far as I'm concerned. Journey to Austria in 30 seconds is better than all 2 hours or whatever of Crystal Skull.

Raiders, Temple and Crusade are all top-10 (or so) JW scores. Absolutely listen through them all. Add E.T., the Star Wars Trilogy, Superman, Jaws, Hook, Harry Potter, Home Alone, NBC News, Amazing Stories, Minority Report and Jurassic Park/The Lost World to that list. You're talking at least a few days of JW listening, but it's absolutely essential. As alternate Biff might say while taking a bath with a couple floozies and listening to the finale of Close Encounters, "the guy is brilliant."

Crystal Skull is the most uninteresting and the weakest. It doesn't even make the cut as far as I'm concerned. Journey to Austria in 30 seconds is better than all 2 hours or whatever of Crystal Skull.

Raiders, Temple and Crusade are all top-10 (or so) JW scores. Absolutely listen through them all. Add E.T., the Star Wars Trilogy, Superman, Jaws, Hook, Harry Potter, Home Alone, NBC News, Amazing Stories, Minority Report and Jurassic Park/The Lost World to that list. You're talking at least a few days of JW listening, but it's absolutely essential. As alternate Biff might say while taking a bath with a couple floozies and listening to the finale of Close Encounters, "the guy is brilliant."

I've got a ton of Star Wars tracks. I'm a huge SW fan so that's a given. I'll listen to more of the tracks in those scores though and see what all I like. For me though a lot of the main themes to those movies I've heard too many times. Even with Star Wars, I enjoy listening to all 3 movements of The Battle Of Endor more than the Star Wars Main Titles. I know, it's weird, but yeah. lol

I enjoy listening to all 3 movements of The Battle Of Endor more than the Star Wars Main Titles. I know, it's weird, but yeah. lol

I can relate. Try ToD, it's got so many great themes, and tracks. I could pretty much recommend every track on the concord release. Splashy, dark, fun, scary, adventure...it's just awesome.

I enjoy listening to all 3 movements of The Battle Of Endor more than the Star Wars Main Titles. I know, it's weird, but yeah. lol

I can relate. Try ToD, it's got so many great themes, and tracks. I could pretty much recommend every track on the concord release. Splashy, dark, fun, scary, adventure...it's just awesome.

I'll definitely give it a listen.

I also like the theme from Sabrina, but does anyone know... the original theme is just a piano, right? The only theme I can find on Spotify is the one with the violin. Which one is the one from the movie? I like the one with just the piano better. Of course there are things on my list that I don't have on my playlist yet so it wouldn't be a first if I couldn't find it. I don't have Hello, I Passed For White, Gidget Goes To Rome, The Fury, Spacecamp, or Soundings on my Spotify playlist cause none of them are on Spotify yet. >.<

Of course, the first three aren't really a big surprise. But why not The Fury, Spacecamp, or Soundings? Ah well. lol

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, what would be the best HP score to listen to first out of the 3 that JW wrote?

If you love the end battle stuff from Return of the Jedi, absolutely listen to Temple of Doom and Hook, which have comparable 30-40 minute third acts/resolutions of non-stop action, dramatic and overall highly entertaining Williams music. Other great finales by JW include E.T. (the best), Close Encounters and the original Star Wars.

Definitely will do. What I like the most about the end battle music of ROTJ is not as much the action music (which is still great and some of his best action music), but the very dark and brooding moments, like the music that plays when Luke goes all mad on Vader and they're clashing lightsabers and Luke pins Vader to the ground, and then the scenes of the final confrontation, etc. It has that random basso-profundo guy singing in a really deep spooky voice throughout almost all those sections. Gives me goosebumps every time. And then there's the subtle yet sad music when the mask is taken off. I just LOVE those moments.

If you love that, I would recommend The Map Room: Dawn & The Miracle of The Ark from Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Raptor Attack from Jurassic Park, and Trajectory Malfunction from Superman: The Movie.

FYI, the track "Hello" is from the album THE JOHN TOWNER TOUCH.

Also, Williams did not write the opening song of GIDGET GOES TO ROME, in case that was what you referred to.)

It's interesting that you have a couple of these early rarities (commercially unreleased) and also missing some of the later cornerstone scores. Curious collection you have, but fascinating! :)

Jane Eyre

– Jane Eyre Theme

Images

– In Search of Unicorns

– Dogs, Ponies & Old Ruins

– Blood Moon

The Sugarland Express

– Main Theme

Jaws

– Main Title and First Victim

– The Shark Cage Fugue

Family Plot

– The First Séance

– March from '1941'

– Swing, Swing, Swing

Raiders of the Lost Ark

– Marion's Theme

– The Miracle of the Ark

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

– End Credits

Monsignor

– Theme from Monsignor

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

– Short Round's Theme

– Slave Children's Crusade

The Witches of Eastwick

– The Dance of the Witches/End Credits

Empire of the Sun

– Suo Gan

– Cadillac of the Skies

– Liberation/Exsultate Justi

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

– Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

Home Alone

– Star of Bethlehem

Hook

– Prologue

– The Arrival of Tink and the Flight to Neverland

Far and Away

– Country Galway, June 1892

– End Credits

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

We Overslept Again/Holiday Flight

Schindler's List

– Jewish Town (Krakow Ghetto-Winter '41)

– Remembrances

– Schindler's Workforce

– Oyf'n Pripetshok and Nacht Aktion

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

– The Lost World

Saving Private Ryan

– Hymn to the Fallen

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

– The Arrival of Baby Harry

– Diagon Alley and the Gringotts Vault

– The Quidditch Match

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

– Fawkes the Phoenix

– The Chamber of Secrets

– Gilderoy Lockhart

– The Flying Car

– The Dueling Club

– Moaning Myrtle

Catch Me If You Can

– Catch Me If You Can

– The Float

– Recollections (The Father's Theme)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

– Aunt Marge's Waltz

– The Knight Bus

– Buckbeak's Flight

– A Window to the Past

– The Whomping Willow and the Snowball Fight

– Secrets of the Castle

– Hagrid the Professor

– Quidditch, Third YEar

The Terminal

– The Tale of Viktor Navorski

– Jazz Autographs

Memoirs of a Geisha

– Going to School

– The Chaiman's Waltz

– Becoming a Geisha

– A Dream Discarded

– Sayuri's Theme and End Credits

Munich

– Munich, 1972

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

– Call of the Crystal

– Irina's Theme

– The Jungle Chase

The Adventures of Tintin

– The Adventures of Tintin

– Snowy's Theme

– The Secret of the Scrolls

– Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's Chase

– Sir Francis and the Unicorn

– Red Rackham's Curse and the Treasure

– The Adventures Continues

War Horse

– Dartmoor, 1912

– Plowing

– No Man's Land

Lincoln

– The People's House

– Getting Out the Vote

– "With Malice Toward None"

– The Peterson House and Finale

But really, I'd recommend you to listen to complete CD's instead of selected tracks. It's often the experience of the whole CD that is rewarding. For example "War Horse" is a wonderful release, but it's hard for me to choose specific tracks for you. :)

I don't have those rarities yet, but would love to. I've heard them on youtube.

About Gidget, the opening titles weren't written by him at all?

Yes and no. There is a score selection there (before the song begins, if I remember correctly, or just after) that is Williams', but the song "Gegetta" over the opening credits was written by George David Weiss and Al Kasha. Stu Philipps helped arrange the songs as well.

That's interesting. I did not know that. I just assumed it was Williams who wrote the music to the tune cause of its jazzy nature. Also, you mentioned the album that the track "Hello" is on. Is that album available anywhere?

• 10 months later...

Seven Years in Tibet (from Seven Years in Tibet)

Leaving Ingrid (from Seven Years in Tibet)

Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha (The Music Of America, 2010)

That's interesting. I did not know that. I just assumed it was Williams who wrote the music to the tune cause of its jazzy nature. Also, you mentioned the album that the track "Hello" is on. Is that album available anywhere?

I missed this question, and I don't know if Jair is still around. The original LP is probably hard-to-find (it was released in 1957, by the way, but recorded in 1956), but fortunately many of these early tracks were released on a brilliant 2CD set called JAZZ BEGINNINGS -- IMO one of the most important JW releases in the last 10 years. It's available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Beginnings-1956-58-John-Williams/dp/B000H6SUQI