The Overregarded and Overrated

Faleel

I too think I like Chamber more than Azkaban!

I mean, I love them both, don't get me wrong... but something about Chamber is really magical, OST or complete form.

It's more the style of writing, I think. I love the original score and Chamber is a lot like it. It's generally always very entertaining to me. Azkaban has tracks I'll skip that simply don't do it for me as much. I respect that it's taken in a slightly different direction and there are plenty of parts I do enjoy, but for me it's a bit like going from the original trilogy to the prequels. Still entertaining, but it doesn't compare. It has its fans and it's a good JW score.

I too think I like Chamber more than Azkaban!

I mean, I love them both, don't get me wrong... but something about Chamber is really magical, OST or complete form.

Chamber lacks the magic that POA and PS have in spades.

I rank it lowest of the output JW did that year.

I wouldn't call any of the JW main themes overrated. They're brilliant. It's just that I hear them so often that when I'm listening to his music I'd rather listen to other tracks and cues. For example, like I stated in another thread, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but that means I've heard that main theme a LOT of times. lol So I get a lot more out of listening to the three Battle Of Endor movements than I do listening to the main theme.

I don't really enjoy any of Jerry Goldsmith's work. I don't know if it is overrated or just not my thing, but I have tried to get into him...

I thought that too, a few years back. I fell in love with the First Knight cues recorded for the Hollywood '95 CD, and I've slowly changed my tune. Have you checked out his drama scores? I can understand people not liking Goldsmith action scores, since they do tend to sound alike if you're listening to several scores back-to-back.

I know I'm going to get crucified for this (especially the JW picks), but here's mine:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

E.T.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Star Trek (2009)

Boys from Brazil

Edward Scissorhands

Rise of the Guardians

Braveheart

Predator

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh I love my own opinions. I have such impeccable taste. I have never had an argument with myself over anything when it comes to taste.

And you are unanimous in this? :)

I know I'm going to get crucified for this (especially the JW picks), but here's mine:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

E.T.

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Hand me the nails!

Now that you mention it. Don't get it either.

The film is actually quite good if you don't have to listen to Arnold speaking English. Thankfully his voice is dubbed in Germany, as it is in every film of his.

The Amazing Spider-Man

I don't think anyone overrated the score. It just sounded fresh amongst all the dreary superhero scores these days. ....ahem .... DKR .... ahem

I enjoyed Silvestri's Avengers score far better than Horner's rehashed Spider-man score (even with no direct lifts from his previous works, it's been done before and better). And certainly more than Zimmer's cut-and-paste job on TDKR. At least Avengers had energy and size to spare.

Well it was obviously to supposed to be a mock of my thread. There though I wanted people to share scores that many haven't heard of. We all know about this stuff, overrated is pretty much a term used to describe something we think garners too much attention undeservedly. It'll obviously be different for everybody, and when you have ignorant comments like "Anything by Ennio Morricone" you lose all credibility when you had none in the first place.

Seeing the hype around the 3000 CD Star Trek box, I would like to add the Star Trek TV music.

Seeing the hype around the Star Trek re-releases, I would like to add the Star Trek scores...

oh and James Bond music.

I guess I shouldn't tell you I sold off most of my Morricone CDs..

I really don't care, but if I told you La Tenta Rosa was overrated would you have any idea what I was talking about? ;)

It's also great when americans dismiss EM and then start to list his handful of american scores and one or two westerns - Morricone did work so varied and psychedelic in the late 60's, early 70's, full of gorgeous melodies and wild instrumental combinations, i just shrug when people say they don't like his 'style' - since he has so many.

He's ten times more versatile than Goldsmith and Williams ever were. The "trouble" with that of course is listeners comfort zones become at risk of being challenged, which is usually a big no no.

10 times more versatile than Williams? hmm...

Trying different sounds, being progressive/experimental in a psychedelic way isn't versatility in my book. Especially when it sounds bad.

John has written music with many different styles that he masters pretty well.

I have a great deal of respect for Morricone and defended him here when he won his honorary Oscar and the JW fanboys went into bitch mode over it.

And thanks to the all the fanboys at the time who took my star rating down to 1 for that. ;)

However I find him overrated, his music tends to sound cheesy and silly at times. He's written some nice music but I find most of it does not hold my attention away from the film. And please spare me the narrow minded BS.

I say that because almost everyone here is narrow minded even though they won't admit it. We develop our tastes over time. I'm always willing to expand my listening habits but after awhile you do get a grasp on what a composer does.

Yeah I admit I roll my eyes at threads like these because there are quite a few very good scores frowned upon here. And yeah I also look down on the "John Williams is god and above everyone else" mentality that exists here.

I wasn't neccessarily referring to you Koray, believe it or not, while I don't always agree with you, your taste in films and music is much more open minded and good compared to quite a few people here to include myself.

However I find him overrated, his music tends to sound cheesy and silly at times. He's written some nice music but I find most of it does not hold my attention away from the film. And please spare me the narrow minded BS.

Silly and cheesy it is at times, but i still doubt your knowledge of his considerable output is vast enough to pass such statements. You just wouldn't make them otherwise. Its like the old Williams-is-all-bombast statements..

Silly and cheesy it is at times, but i still doubt your knowledge of his considerable output is vast enough to pass such statements. You just wouldn't make them otherwise. Its like the old Williams-is-all-bombast statements..

Just like quite a few of your posts. Sometimes I wonder if you even listen to film scores. But yeah, go ahead and think what you want. I know better.

"John Williams is god and above everyone else" mentality that exists here.

Does it?

I actually prefer Morricone's concert arrangements over his actual scores. Have you heard Yo-Yo Ma plays the music of Ennio Morricone? It's masterfully written, film music arrangements don't come any better, IMO.

Yes I've listened to it, i had it in my hands at a store to buy one time and I took it to the listening station to give it a spin. It didn't do anything for me so I put it back.

Ennio is an acquired taste.

The Untouchables is fantastic though.

Development is slow, but a trademark. I recall I didnt like it at all when I was younger so I can feel what he means.

For the sake of this thread i just listened to some random Morricone in my archive, SECRET OF THE SAHARA, just one of 8 scores he did in 1988 (the one where Zimmer stole his post-battle adagio in GLADIATOR). There's everything here, the typical melodies, a grand modernistic piece á la CE3K and a cheesy popbeat at some point. It's a huge score and with Morricone, you just keep discovering stuff like that all the time. And those linked below are two random cues and not even the main stuff.

[media=]

I can understand why people love Ennio Morricone, but his music just doesn't speak to me. It's very beautiful, and his Spaghetti Western scores are a definite hoot.

I'm not putting Morricone down, he's just not for me. I'll have to explore more of his output, see if my mind changed like it did for Goldsmith.

I'm not putting Morricone down, he's just not for me.

That's different. I know a lot of composers who aren't for me which i wouldn't categorize as 'overrated'. Take Max Steiner: i hardly can listen to anything he ever wrote (cue THEME FROM A SUMMER PLACE) but it would be childish to deny him his father-of-film-music status. As for Morricone: he was frighteningly versatile till the late 90's, did so many styles, sometimes revolutionized film scoring techniques just off-handedly for some cheap italo thriller then followed it with a gorgeous clerical period score and then did a complex mini-series with dozens of themes intelligently interwoven and for a long time, it never stopped (from 10 to 24 films per year from mid-60's to late 80's). He just can't be overrated, period.

I'm not putting Morricone down, he's just not for me.

That's different. I know a lot of composers who aren't for me which i wouldn't categorize as 'overrated'. Take Max Steiner: i hardly can listen to anything he ever wrote (cue THEME FROM A SUMMER PLACE) but it would be childish to deny him his father-of-film-music status. As for Morricone: he was frighteningly versatile till the late 90's, did so many styles, sometimes revolutionized film scoring techniques just off-handedly for some cheap italo thriller then followed it with a gorgeous clerical period score and then did a complex mini-series with dozens of themes intelligently interwoven and for a long time, it never stopped (from 10 to 24 films per year from mid-60's to late 80's). He just can't be overrated, period.

Steiner has some good scores and some lesser scores. Gone With the Wind (not just the theme, the entire score) is really one of the best orchestral scores ever written, give it a try.

For the sake of this thread i just listened to some random Morricone in my archive, SECRET OF THE SAHARA, just one of 8 scores he did in 1988 (the one where Zimmer stole his post-battle adagio in GLADIATOR). There's everything here, the typical melodies, a grand modernistic piece á la CE3K and a cheesy popbeat at some point. It's a huge score and with Morricone, you just keep discovering stuff like that all the time. And those linked below are two random cues and not even the main stuff.

Whenever I hear L'encontro con la figlia copied verbatim in that score I wonder if Morricone did that often, given his rythm of work.