My finest Holy Grail-Williams Autograph- At last!

Amer

Ladies & Gentlemen-My Greatest Treasure! : "Amer - With Every Great Wish" -John Williams

After many great pursuits and quests worthy of Indiana Jones caliber-I was able to secure this personalized autograph and another with Spielberg. Truly a great wish come true-Special thanks to two special people for their generosity and sincerity in helping me get these. With gratitude and thanks.

Oh I'am " Over the Moon" today!

I managed to send 2 pictures of Williams post marked to Dreamworks- Publicity Dept handling the 'LINCOLN' release- I figured it would be best to send at such a time wink.gif What I didn't do was send the request to GSA- Williams agency [because I was advised not to by many folks] but then I was helped by a very special FSM member who got me access to Williams Manager at GSA via email. All the time advising me not to expect anything but cold and boorish response- and to my surprise I got a very positive response and the manager even helped me pick up Williams pics for the autographs- He was so kind and generous. I guess I was VERY lucky. Most mails that arrive at GSA are left in a abandoned box and not taken care off at all. He even sent my first fan mail letter to Williams. In addition my Dreamworks package also arrived to Williams so- they were able to get me both the pics!!!!

Ah well, as they say when it pours..it rains!! hahahahh.. Im in heaven!

post-922-0-09781500-1352908274_thumb.jpg

post-922-0-80948500-1352908373_thumb.jpg

Thanks all. I truly thank the Almighty for this great opportunity. I still cant believe it. @E.T : the Superman box set looks great!!

I had him sign a Revenge of the Sith CD cover for my brother through the mail this past February. I didn't know whether I'd see my Prisoner of Azkaban or Jurassic Park CD covers back again, so I sent him a Harry Potter-themed Universal Orlando insert for me.

IMG_0489.jpg

An autograph makes an otherwise mundane artifact instantly more rare than what most other people can buy, which can make it a very sentimental collector's piece, if you're into that sort of thing. If not, then it wouldn't hold any fascination.

Sometimes people seek the autograph just for the story of how they stood a long time in line or got to meet the person holding the pen, which in and of itself is often more valuable than the signed memorabilia. Especially if they managed to get a photograph with that person. The journey, not the destination, so to speak.

Other times, like with getting an autographed soundtrack from La-La-Land Records, it's a personal quest to be one of the first people to buy the item, and be rewarded with a signature. Especially if you would never be in the same time zone as the individual signing the item.

An autograph makes an otherwise mundane artifact instantly more rare than what most other people can buy, which can make it a very sentimental collector's piece, if you're into that sort of thing. If not, then it wouldn't hold any fascination.

True. But for me its more than just sentimental. Its something like being associated with part of history! 100 years from now this will be considered a real treasure!

Too bad you'll be dead :P

I myself wouldn't attempt to get anything signed through the mail. To me it's devoid of the that experience of meeting the person that Wojo described. Meeting Zimmer and Howard in person was great.

As for the LLL stuff. Well, I'm going to buy the score anyway, why not get it signed?

• 2 months later...

I have three signed Williams-CDs:

Jaws (Collector's Edition)

Jurassic Park

Memoirs of a Geisha (Williams' and Yo-Yo Ma's signature on the cover)

I'm very happy about that! :)

However, I never understood the obsession with autographs.Why would I need it, unless I need to fake some bills?

This!

I dunno, but they sure look nice displayed with all my film scores.

Aside from a couple of signed LLLs, I have my FotR CR booklet signed in person by Shore and Doug, from the FotR 'live to projection' premiere in London.

Not personalised, but I got to meet the man, and say a few words about how this score essentially got me into film music.

Autographs are a strange thing though - I don't hunt them on ebay or anything, but if an opportunity arises to easily get one, why not?

However, it's not like I'm planning to sell my collection, and I don't display them at all. There must be something psychological about knowing that the scrawl on the booklet was done by the composer.

• 4 years later...

My autograph stories can be summarized thusly:

I was never interested in autographs, and had no intention of getting one by John Williams. But back in 2005 and 2006, when I was a B celebrity here in Norway (and signed my own autographs), I was once on a tour and was called aside by one of my co-stars in the TV show I was in. HE was a collector of autographs, and he told me he had a fellow collector in town that wanted to see me. So we met up with the collector where he worked (a grocery store), and he surprised me with a gift from under the counter. It was a signed photograph of John Williams! That was certainly a delightful surprise. So even if I've never asked for one by the man himself, I still have one -- framed -- on my shelf. Alas, it's not personalized.

A similar story occured years before I was a celebrity. This was back in the late 90s. I was in e-mail contact with Richard Elfman's girlfriend at the time (can't remember why; could be because of my Elfman Yahoo Group), and she eventually sent me a signed mini poster of MODERN VAMPIRES, signed by Richard and Danny Elfman. So that, too, is now framed on my shelf.

Beyond that, I don't have much in terms of autographs. I have the TANGO & CASH album signed by Harold Faltermeyer (because I was one of the first to buy it), and the two solo albums by Bob Siebenberg (Supertramp drummer), probably because he signed everything that was bought from his online store. I also have a signed photo of Roger Hodgson (Supertramp lead vocalist) that I bought at a concert some 5-6 years ago. That's about it, I think.

I'am a late collector but I have been also very lucky to get Besides Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Elmer Bernstein (also personalized) John Ottman, Mark Snow, John Debney, Henri Mancini and tons of personalized stuff and score sheets from Bruce Broughton! These are just extensions of my passion and hobby of film music galore.

I can certainly see why that's a passion to some, Amer. Thanks for posting your treasures in this thread. For me, though, it's more important to get a photo with my favourites, whether it has been in an interview situation or a "fan" situation. So I guess I'm a "selfie collector"! :)

12 hours ago, Thor said:

I can certainly see why that's a passion to some, Amer. Thanks for posting your treasures in this thread. For me, though, it's more important to get a photo with my favourites, whether it has been in an interview situation or a "fan" situation. So I guess I'm a "selfie collector"! :)

Thanks Thor! That's my next goal ! To meet a film composer in person. Ah some day...