Rate The Star Wars Scores

Faleel

1: TESB (Really good, very operatic)

2: Star Wars (good, very much like a Rozsa/Golden Age score...)

3: ROTJ (sounds a lot like ROTLA to me)

4: TPM (has a lot of fateful statements of themes)

5: AOTC (Here is where things started to go south, kind of boring, but sounds better in Complete/Expanded form)

6: ROTS (Boring, but some good moments.)

Non Williams:

1: Minnesota Ensemble Music for Star Wars Radio Drama (nice variations on Williams's Themes)

2: Shadows of the Empire (Great when Williams themes are referenced, good when not)

3: Star Tours (some good stuff)

4: The Clone Wars (definitely does not live up to the legacy, but its almost as good as a Powell score..)

1: TESB (Brilliant, very operatic)

2: Star Wars (Excellent, very much like a Korngoldian adventure score...)

3: ROTJ (Great finale to a great trilogy, just not as good as its predecessors )

4: TPM (has a lot of regal statements of great new themes, exciting new sound for the franchise)

5: AOTC (Here is where things started to deviate from SW norm, but it has great highlights and is very underrated here)

6: ROTS (Still has its strong moments, but is the least SW sounding score. An enjoyable work on its own, but expected more as a part of SW)

Fixed ;)

Star Wars The best

ESB Not quite as good as Star Wars

TPM promises greatness to come, but sadly the others did not deliver

ROTJ Not as good as those above

rots the borrow Star Wars stuff is great, the rest is shit

aotc the worst.

ESB (incredible themes and overall an incredibly rich score, without a doubt one of my favorites in general)

Star Wars (enough said)

ROTS (this was the first John Williams score I bought and really listened to (my aunt bought me Harry Potter for my birthday a few years earlier) so thats possibly why I enjoy it so much but although not as rich as ESB or Star Wars, it has some very emotional and powerful pieces that I feel work especially well in the movie itself rather than just listening to the score itself)

ROTJ (overall I skip about half of the pieces in this score but the rest of the score is absolutely brilliant)

TPM/AOTC (they're tied in my books, TPM overall is a better score but Across the Stars is one of my favorite pieces and the few times it is "motifed" into other pieces is quite beautiful)

1. Star Wars

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Return Of The Jedi

4. Revenge Of The Sith

5. Attack Of The Clones (!)

6. The Phantom Menace

Are you going off of the OST's or expanded/comeplete scores?

just curious, because TPM is better than ROTS and AOTC in my opinion, though perhaps the OST gives a different impression...

1. Star Wars

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Return Of The Jedi

4. Revenge Of The Sith

5. Attack Of The Clones (!)

6. The Phantom Menace

Are you going off of the OST's or expanded/comeplete scores?

just curious, because TPM is better than ROTS and AOTC in my opinion, though perhaps the OST gives a different impression...

Basically, what the music does for me in the film. TPM, while technically brilliant and superior to AOTC and ROTS, doesn't quite connect with me emotionally as much as AOTC and ROTS do. But I must admit that the way I rate the prequel scores changes from week to week. With the OT it's pretty much written in stone.

Basically, what the music does for me in the film.

Ah. that explains it then.

(I am not saying that this way of thinking is wrong, or invalid, just that this case is a bit of an exception, what with all the removed/tracked over cues...)

My ratings...

The Empire Strikes Back

Five Stars. Obviously my favorite Star Wars score. John Williams did a kick ass job with this score and there really isn't any dull moment in it.

Star Wars (ANH)

Three and half stars. For me this isn't quite as good as ESB but I still like it.

The Phantom Menace

Four stars. Having everything from the score, unused music and such makes this score A LOT better.

Attack Of The Clones

Three stars. The previously unreleased music has really helped the listening experience for this score. With having nearly all the music it can be a very relaxing score to listen to. I've learned to appreciate this score with the new material. It definitely fits the criteria of a love style theme film, which was I'm sure George Lucas wanted.

Return Of The Jedi.

Three stars. There are quite a few good bits but over all I think this is the one of the weakest of the six.

Faleel...not sure how you can say Revenge Of The Sith is boring. To me it's my favorite Prequel score and having the near complete score for it really helps the listening experience.

Star Wars

TESB

ROTJ

TPM

ROTS

AOTC

lmao nice lengthy post there Mark.

"Empire..." is top, of course, but I would put "ROTJ" second, if only for "Brother/Sister, Father/Son", which is a wonderful track. If only it didn't sound like it was recoreded underwater.

As for the rest, well, I suppose that "ANH" is alright, but after well over 35 years of listening to it, it does get a bit old. Eps I-III are all much of a muchness.

TESB (one of those scores that I just hold dear to my heart)

SW (maybe even better in some ways than Empire, but doesn't have that extra emotional value to me)

ROTJ (better than the prequels, but strangely all over the place quality-wise)

AOTC (a lot of filler, that's true, but its setpieces, highlights and the love theme for me are the best of the prequels)

ROTS (much more sustained quality-wise than AOTC, but it doesn't feel like Star Wars to me, it just doesn't)

TPM (some highlights, sure, and some amazing twists on the old material, but as a whole the score wanders without doing a lot for most of its running time, worse and worse with each listen, unfortunately)

This thread made me realise how little SW saga means to me these days. Same with Superman and Indiana Jones. There has been simply too much of those in the past 13 years. If I want to enjoy something from JW, I'm usually looking elsewhere.

:music: Lincoln

Karol

Star Wars and Empire inevitably tie for me, every time. I give each one the edge in certain categories, but overall, I can't pick one over the other.

After that, things get tricky. Really tricky. I suppose I would most likely put Jedi next, but I think all three prequel scores have some pretty fantastic material in them.

I suppose right now, at this moment, if I absolutely had to rank them all, I'd go:

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. ROTJ

4. TPM

5. AOTC

6. ROTS

But again, really tricky. Ask me another time and I might give you a very different answer, such as:

1. ANH

2. ESB

3. AOTC

4. TPM

5. ROTS

6. ROTJ

Heresy, I know. The heart wants what it wants.

I gave up on this rather quickly. ESB is #1, SW is probably #2 but after that it is a free for all. Each one has something unique about it that warrants that 3rd spot.

Rather quickly? You couldn't spare five minutes to think it over? Wow! The ladies lining up to get you laid must really be persistent!

Jedi is stronger than the prequels. One thing I love about it is the reprisal of themes introduced throughout the trilogy. The prequels did NOT do this. You got the force theme, Imperial March, the Emperor and Yoda's themes. But those are themes that have existed since the originals. TPM's Anakin and AOTC's Love were the only major recurring themes introduced in the prequels and they took a back seat in the subsequent scores. Jedi has thematic overload, new and old. It's loaded with the typical JW whimsy, romance, drama and action of the era. It may be over-scored, but **** it.

So many spectacular moments that I feel are unmatched by the prequels. The start of The Droids are Captured is more dramatic than anything I've heard in those. Vader's theme at the end of Faking the Code is surely one of JW's coolest moments ever. Brother and Sister is some of his most dreamy enchanting stuff. Yoda's Death, The Emperor Confronts Luke, first appearance of the Ewok theme, the 30 minutes or so of action and resolution. The Final Duel, which Williams busts out of nowhere, the Emperor's theme during his climactic moments, Vader's eerie death...this is great Williams music.

The prequels are generally good, but comparatively forgettable.

Yup, I was always shocked by how little Anakin's Theme was used in AOTC and ROTS, then by how little the love theme was used in ROTS, etc. He just didn't write themes that had a place outside of their original movies I guess, or the films just didn't inspire him to find creative ways to use existing themes... he just kinda wrote what he felt like writing. I dunno

My favourites are either Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back. Then either The Return of the Jedi or The Phantom Menace. Then the other two.

I don't have a proper opinion on the latter two because I've only listened to the OST and I keep being told that neither the OST or the films really make justice to the the scores.

As for The Phantom Menace I've listened to isolated some stuff outside the OST, and I really like it, even in watered down OST form (I figure a complete score would be quite stronger.)

Yup, I was always shocked by how little Anakin's Theme was used in AOTC and ROTS, then by how little the love theme was used in ROTS, etc. He just didn't write themes that had a place outside of their original movies I guess, or the films just didn't inspire him to find creative ways to use existing themes... he just kinda wrote what he felt like writing. I dunno

I do undestand why there is so little ATS is ROTS. After this is a fading love. By the end of the film, when Padme lands on Mustafar, there is an almost an ironic feel to it.

Karol

Its been like that since the Beginning ET (though I would agree that its more extreme in the Prequels).

The Rebel fanfare and Force Theme (or Lukes Theme, I confuse them alot) took a backseat in ESB.

The Imperial March took a backseat in ROTJ.

I do undestand why there is so little ATS is ROTS. After this is a fading love. By the end of the film, when Padme lands on Mustafar, there is an almost an ironic feel to it.

Karol

My turn...

Karol

Well, Revenge of the Sith was not thematically strong anyway. Clones, too.

Uh....

There were quite a few motifs in Clones....

The Seperatist/Mystery Motif

Obi-Wan Fanfare theme (Yoda and the Younglings, Smee's/Shmi's Funeral)

Anakin Motif (Palpatine's Plotting)

Shmi's Theme from TPM (Zam The Assassin)

Across The Stars.

Kamino Motif/Jango Motif (Main Title and Ambush at Coruscant)

Naboo Courtship Motif. (The Meadow Picnic)

Secondary Mystery Motif (Rainy Ramp..., Anakin and Padme)

Mourning Theme

The Arena Motif

Republic Motif (The Senate Scene)

Jango's Escape Motif

Bounty Hunter's Pursuit Motif