My New Piano Tribute to John Williams on the music of E.T

Martyprod

It's really too bad that you did all that and no one bothered to comment!

Thanks for sharing. You play well, and even though some of it may be 'hidden' by lots of reverb and there isn't much "space" between the notes, it still flows wonderfully. Like a slowed-down, muted concert version or something. Like E.T. performed TWIN PEAKS-style! :)

It's really too bad that you did all that and no one bothered to comment!

Thanks for sharing. You play well, and even though some of it may be 'hidden' by lots of reverb and there isn't much "space" between the notes, it still flows wonderfully. Like a slowed-down, muted concert version or something. Like E.T. performed TWIN PEAKS-style! :)

thank you very much ! (i love the Twin Peaks soundtrack ! :) )

the only thing that i can tell who can explain the fact that it's not as perfect as it must be or that i would be (i play this much much much better normally if i can use my ears. for example, i play usually over the moon like on the record) is that i'm an hearing trauma guy (i had an hearing accident during a jam session 18 years ago and can't listen to any sound anymore. the complete reverse of being deaf. sound become painful.) and that i record all my videos in one take without almost hearing what i played, and never listen again what i recorded because sound make pains to me. i did the video/audio editing etc by watching my hands on the video to know what i was playing and when, not by listening the recording. usually i never edit the piano recording track but E.T has been a nightmare to do, and i had to do it (that's why so some fade by moment).

same, if it's not good, i can't record it again, because i don't know if it's good or not (i ask to other people to tell me if it's "ok" to publish it or not" so it's never perfect, and usually, i suffered so much to record it, that i always try to never record it again and publish it "like it is" with his mistakes or issues.

E.T has been a nightmare in every step to do, 2 months of work to make the video right.

usually it take me 1 month per video to make the subtitles, make the video being ok, watching the midi editor to see if i didn't do any note mistakes during the recording, asking to a friend to listen to my recording and he tells me if i played bad one passage etc and try to fix it myself or he fix the issue himself etc ...

i never listened what i recorded again (that's the same thing for my others videos), sometimes i'm forced to do it, and i listen one time only after recording it so i can hear if i did very "bad mistake" during the recording and take the decition to put the take in the trashcan or not, of if i can save it.

so i have absolutly no idea if it's good or not. it's a friend of mine who mix the piano, so it's his piano taste in term of reverb :). i have certainly other taste in term of piano sound, but i will (maybe) never know it :).

so i have absolutly no idea as well if there is too much reverb or not for my taste, i'll discover it one day if i have a new healing :).

it's completly improvised and as i can't play piano anymore or pratice it (i didn't do it since 18 years) i take the original sheets, make a basic arrangement with only the melody and notated chords and i improvise on it by filming myself.

my speakers are in an another room to where i am when i record a tune, to lower as much as possible the sound of the piano so i don't hear 90 to 95% of the sound of it when i play it. (because each sound and notes make pure pains),

i almost listen and hear nothing when i record the song, the biggest issue is the pedals. without hearing the decay of a note, i do usually a lot of mistake on it, and a friend of mine or the one who do the mix usually fix it for me.

i put this "technic" to an upper lever as i recorded some videos with the amp completly turned off so without listen to what i was recording at all because i did them in a time where i couldn't listen to anything at all. it's still the same, but i recorded .E.T, Hook for example at a very very low volume, because, well, sometimes, it's so much frustration to not being able to listen to what you're playing that you accept to suffer to do it.

here are some examples recorded without hearing what i played at all : i always put a warning message on the videos who have been recorded this way without hearing nothing at all :

here is the only video where i played it by completly hearing and listening to what i was playing normally at full volume during an healing time in 2008. (hello to Marc who accepted nicely to play on this version of marion ! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erxxeAnG-BA

thank you very much for taken the time to listen to my video and much more , commenting it, because it's unfortunatly very rare ! thank you !

you can see / listen to everything i recorded on my website here : http://www.didiermartini.com

Again fantastic job Martyprod! I can't but admire your perseverance with your hearing impairment and marvel how you produce this wonderful stuff none the less! And really thank you so much for sharing this and all your hard work!

Again fantastic job Martyprod! I can't but admire your perseverance with your hearing impairment and marvel how you produce this wonderful stuff none the less! And really thank you so much for sharing this!

thanks to you all ! it means a lot to me ! thank you !

Didier, I wasn't aware of your hearing issues when I made my comment, but I do seem to remember you from before now that you mention it.

Of course, that makes it all the more impressive and also explains a lot in terms of how the music is being played (soft, with lots of flowing notes between the actual melodic lines).

I have tinnitus myself (and also an extra sensitivity towards loud sounds), so I know a little something about hearing issues, but of course it's very far from your predicament. It must be very difficult for you to leave your apartment with all the sounds out there in the world, even with earplugs.

It would be great if you did the TWIN PEAKS music at some point. For some reason, I think that particular music would fit your playing style very well.

Again...thanks for performing this music with your unique situation.

Didier, I wasn't aware of your hearing issues when I made my comment, but I do seem to remember you from before now that you mention it.

Of course, that makes it all the more impressive and also explains a lot in terms of how the music is being played (soft, with lots of flowing notes between the actual melodic lines).

I have tinnitus myself (and also an extra sensitivity towards loud sounds), so I know a little something about hearing issues, but of course it's very far from your predicament. It must be very difficult for you to leave your apartment with all the sounds out there in the world, even with earplugs.

It would be great if you did the TWIN PEAKS music at some point. For some reason, I think that particular music would fit your playing style very well.

Again...thanks for performing this music with your unique situation.

Hello Thor, thanks for your reply ! as well, i don't play the tune as it is written, never , rule number one of my recording :

one take + improvisation + almost not or no editing.

it has nothing to do with my situation.

i improvise the whole thing based on the melody and the harmonies. what's why it's sounding different, or there are stuff who are not in the tunes or the sheets.

it come from my past as a gigs jazz pianist. i hate piano transcription made by others or songbook, so i always do my own thing and never play the piano part exept if it's written by the composer himself.

speaking about going out, i didn't went out of my flat since april 2010.

for Twin peaks, of course this is in my list of "to do" :)

but doing this take unfortunatly a lot of energy, and i'm too frustrated by doing recording without hearing anything, so now i record my tunes with my ears since june, but i need several days to recover after doing it each time so that's why i don't do them as often i would like, if not i'll do one everyday :).

the next ones will be What dreams may come from kamen, 2 new star wars, one about the vader / luke / emperor relationship (with approaching the death star, etc ..) and one about luke / leia / solo (with brother and sister etc ..).

soon to be released in few days / weeks : The Black hole from John barry featuring again Marc Papeghin on French Horns.

and Forrest gump from silvestri.

i'm sorry to read that you have as well some of my symtoms. i know how hard it is this has nothing to do with the level of the illness. it's as hard to live when your life is "off" than with low leve symptoms.

i hope you can live normally even with them.

i can't use earplugs at all, because when you're reaching the highest level of the tinnitus / hyperacusis disorder, the silence become as painful as sounds. so we must use them only if there is an "emergency". i didn't used them since maybe 10 years.

thank you for your kindness and your interest and comments, i will think about the twin peaks one maybe more earlier than i tought :) !

A bit off-topic, but after I was diagnosed with tinnitus and a slight sense of hyperacusis like you (although not as severe) back in 2009, my doctors told me there was nothing I could do. So for a while, I was reluctant to seek out places with heavy noise. I thought maybe the noise would make the tinnitus even worse. So I went to a particular therapist which was more about how you deal with these things psychologically -- to make them part of your life rather than be constantly scared of them. She told me I didn't have to fear the noise so much, and -- in fact -- some exposure to noise is good for the hearing; it becomes more tolerant. After that, it was much better in noisy settings from a psychological viewpoint. I was not so paranoid.

Still, there are all kinds of things I've had to do in my everyday life to adapt to the new situation -- like having a sound pillow at night which gives off soothing noises, to blank out complete silence (which is the worst thing). However, since I sleep lightly and wake up very quickly if there's noise in neighbouring apartments, I have to use earplugs to sleep anyway. Always a dilemma, that. Another consequence is that I cannot sit and listen to music intently the way I used to, because the moment the brain focusses on sound, it also focusses on the buzzing sound. So I always listen to music while I'm on the computer or do other things, when the brain has to multi-task.

Anyway...I'm rambling on. Looking forward to your new pieces -- especially TWIN PEAKS, if you ever get to that. :) I can already picture "Laura's theme" in my mind with the way you play it.

Anyway...I'm rambling on. Looking forward to your new pieces -- especially TWIN PEAKS, if you ever get to that. :) I can already picture "Laura's theme" in my mind with the way you play it.

Hi, 1st, i already started to work on Twin Peaks as soon you told about it :).thanks for the idea !

2) about our shared "issue", check your private message here in few seconds.