John Williams at Tanglewood, Saturday August 24th, 2013 (Lenox MA)

Jay

Just got the following in an email from the BSO:

For the ever-popular Film Night, this year on August 25, John Williams and the Boston Pops will be joined by guest conductor David Newman and renowned vocalist Audra McDonald for what has become one of the signature events of the Tanglewood season.

TICKETS FOR THE 2013 TANGLEWOOD SEASON, PRICED FROM $9 TO $117 FOR REGULAR SEASON CONCERTS, GO ON PUBLIC SALE SUNDAY, JANUARY 27; DETAILS AVAILABLE AT TANGLEWOOD.ORG

FOR FULL SEASON DETAILS ABOUT THE 2013 TANGLEWOOD SEASON, INCLUDING A COMPLETE CONCERT LISTING, DOWNLOADABLE PHOTOS AND VIDEO, AND ARTIST PHOTOS AND BIOGRAPHIES, CLICK HERE

You beat me to it. :)

So will sharing the podium now become the norm at Williams concerts (after Lockhart and Slatkin did the whole show last August)? Are they auditioning new "Film Night guest conductors" to relieve our beloved Maestro in future years?

I hope the Spring Pops dates will be announced soon enough so we can see if it's a trend.

This will be my first year going to Tanglewood to see Williams, and my 6th to see him at Symphony Hall. Can't wait!

~~~~~

OK, apparently the email that Tanglewood sent out is WRONG, and he won't be there Sunday August 25th like it says, but will actually be there Saturday August 24th

AUG 24 2013 Saturday, 8:30 PM

Film Night at Tanglewood

Tanglewood

Koussevitzky Music Shed Lenox MA

$21.00 - $117.00

A beloved annual tradition created by Laureate Conductor John Williams, Film Night is a joyous celebration of great music from Hollywood classics both old and new. Join the Boston Pops Orchestra and Audra McDonald for a memorable evening of movie magic.

http://www.bso.org/P...ce/Detail/48900

This is just a hypothetical question....it's very unlikely that I can afford the trip next year - but:

How does one get from New York to Tanglewood and back by public transportation? Has anyone tried? I don't like to drive. Airplanes? Trains? Busses? I've been googling around, but it seems rather difficult, since it's so remote.

Edit: I've found that there's a "Peter Pan" bus going from New York to Lenox, but it takes about 5 hours! As opposed to a car, which takes about half that.

I don't think I can make it next year, in particular, but if anyone is driving from New York to Tanglewood at some point, I'd love to catch a ride. I REALLY want to see Williams in Boston/Tanglewood. Seeing him at the Bowl a couple of months ago was great, but this seems like a more intimate setting.

Spend time practicing driving between now and then, land in Boston instead of New York, rent a car, and its a straight easy shot across route 90

It's mostly big cities that I have an issue with. I freak out (which is why I didn't rent a car even in LA). It's not really about practice; it's a psychological thing. Also, flying to NY from Norway is much cheaper than flying to Boston -- so I would need to combine it with a NY trip. If I can't make this happen next year, I'll have to look into 2014. I can't procrastinate too much, though, if I want to see Williams on the concert stage again. The man is 80 years old.

If you land at JFK and rent a car from there, you should have no trouble as you'll be on divided highways far outside the city core. You won't feel at any moment that you're actually in New York City. Whatever you do, DON'T land at Newark because you'll then have to face heavy traffic and agressive New Jersey drivers just to get out of the area.

True, but it's not very likely that I'll be able to drive on to Lenox after an 8-hour flight from Oslo to JFK. I think I would need to spend a couple of days in NY first.

No, I think I know what I have to do now:

Whether it's the concert next year or the one in 2014, I'm going to ask well in advance if anyone is driving the distance -- whether they live in NY or are arriving from overseas, like me -- and then we'll share the car.

Either that or the 5-hour bus drive.

I'll get back to y'all. :)

It's mostly big cities that I have an issue with. I freak out (which is why I didn't rent a car even in LA). It's not really about practice; it's a psychological thing. Also, flying to NY from Norway is much cheaper than flying to Boston -- so I would need to combine it with a NY trip. If I can't make this happen next year, I'll have to look into 2014. I can't procrastinate too much, though, if I want to see Williams on the concert stage again. The man is 80 years old.

You're not alone - I don't like cities at the best of times, and driving in one can be effing scary. Although it's probably better once you get out into the country.

I once tried to work out exactly this problem and came up completely empty. The problem is that Lenox is too remote for most buses/trains, etc.

You're not alone - I don't like cities at the best of times, and driving in one can be effing scary. Although it's probably better once you get out into the country.

I once tried to work out exactly this problem and came up completely empty. The problem is that Lenox is too remote for most buses/trains, etc.

It seems that way, yes.

I absolutely LOVE cities, though. I just don't like driving in and around them. And I'm a bit scared of the car-heavy US traffic in general.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello guys!

I am young composer student from Prague, Czech Republic, I will work all hollidays long to make money for flight and concert at tanglewood !:D Is there anybody who can help me with informations how to get to tanglewood from Boston? Is it hard? Or there is some bus, or train, i dont know nothing about traveling in US, i´ve never been in US.

Tanglewood is kind of in the middle of nowhere in Massachusetts. You might be better off going to the Boston concerts, as there are 4 to choose from and it's in the middle of a major city.

Getting to Tanglewood is easy by car. No idea if there's a bus, and there wouldn't be any trains.

hopefully he will be playing the piano this year if he has a guest conductor

and about transportation to tanglewood, your best bet might be to when you arrive in Boston or new york city, take a flight you Albany if you can. There might be some transportation from there, but even if there isnt, its still a lot easier and manageable to drive from albany to tanglewood.

I first saw JW in concert at Tanglewood in 2005. I flew into Boston and got a bus from Boston to Lenox via Springfield. I think the name of the bus company was Peter Pan. I've no idea what the public transport is like now.

It was a long bus trip. About 5-6 hours but I can easily pass the time by looking out the bus window when in foreign countries. I was amused to see McDonald's restaurents literally in the middle of nowhere every 50 miles or so. At least in Ireland, they are confined to cities and towns.

• 2 months later...

Do anyone know, if there is a possible to ask maestro for an autograph or one foto after concert? I know sometimes they say " Maestro has already left " but they lie a little bit. I would love to have one autograph. People, it is more than 4 000 miles to get there. And the concert is the only reason i am going to US.

Thanks you guys!

Pierre, In 10 years there hasn't been a single occasion where a concert-goer has been successful in obtaining an autograph during Film Night. Only occasions have been at the end of an open-rehearsal, but Williams isn't doing one this year. The best place is Boston during the Spring concerts. You can try but don't want to get your hopes up.

DFenton, 5-6 hours from Boston to Tanglewood (only about 120 miles)? You could have taken a bicycle and arrived at the same time as a bus! Rental cars are so cheap in the U.S. (hopefully you have a "gold" credit card to waive the CDW insurance that's as high as the actual rental cost) and traffic isn't an issue on a weekend from Boston, or from JFK to points north you're so far outside Manhattan that you'll never know you're near NYC.

Funny about the McDonald's comment. I was in the UK and Ireland a couple of months ago, where I rented a car from Heathrow and expected to eat and buy some items outside the city on the way to the Southwest. Much to my surprise there was nothing conveniently located off the highway for hours! Totally different culture from North America.

Does that mean I can crash at your place? I want to attend the Saturday morning rehearsal, but would rather not pay for two nights in Albany.

Well, all the Williams-written stuff I've seen him perform multiple times

Most of the non-Williams pieces will be new to me!

Sounds more like "Audra McDonald" Night than "Film Night".

It will be awesome to hear Newman conduct his dad's fanfare (with the cymbal crash on the 3rd beat he penciled in for the 1997 recording).

Having the Lucas/Spielberg tribute is good because it means encores other than Flying or Raider's March. I guess it's too early for a Book Thief preview.

I know it's a longshot, but given Newman's in town there should be a mini Fox tribute, with Monsignor and Minority Report getting rare performances.

And as for streaming, yes it will be carried by Classical New England as they cover every Saturday night concert.

I would virtually guarantee that the Scherzo for Motorcycle will be the new arrangement.

Did he already perform it anywhere else? How much differs from the original?

The City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra performed the new version in its concert in Birmingham (and, I presume, the following day in Nottingham) last month, although that was Dirk Brosse conducting rather than Williams himself. There were quite a few notable differences, although I cannot remember exactly what they were. The beginning was definitely different.

I would have loved to see Williams at Tanglewood -- especially because of the surroundings -- but alas, it's too remote and not very accesible without car once I get to the US.

I would have loved to see Williams at Tanglewood -- especially because of the surroundings -- but alas, it's too remote and not very accesible without car once I get to the US.

I'm planning, along with Romão to be there next year. While my professional schedule makes it very difficult to go to another of Williams usual dates, the trip to Tanglewood will be a dream come true, mostly due to the wonderful surroundings, as you point out.

As for accessibility, I think there are direct buses from Boston to Tanglewood. But I still need to work out that part of the trip ;)

I'm planning, along with Romão to be there next year. While my professional schedule makes it very difficult to go to another of Williams usual dates, the trip to Tanglewood will be a dream come true, mostly due to the wonderful surroundings, as you point out.

As for accessibility, I think there are direct buses from Boston to Tanglewood. But I still need to work out that part of the trip ;)

I tried to research that when I planned my Boston/NY trip this year (which, as you know, didn't happen), and it seemed very difficult. Getting to Lennox from Boston was a challenge, and then Tanglewood is a certain distance from Lennox as well.

I, too, aim to try the Boston concerts again next year -- maybe Tanglewood if that doesn't happen.

From a logistical standpoint, it would be easier to go to Boston, New York or Chicago. And I would also love to attend to a concert by the respective orchestras. But sadly, there is little way to work my schedule around those.

Tanglewood is one of the places in the world I would really love to visit -- much more than any of those three cities -- but I'm aware it will be a logistical nightmare!

as long as you're prepaerd for that, all is well.

excuse my bad language, i'm very drunk at this moment. ive been out with several composer friend.ss.

Just listened to the broadcast. The Scherzo was fun. I liked the new beginning better than the original. Overall, it is not an extraordinary improvement, but it takes its time a bit more, which I always enjoy.

While I would have preferred a more Williams-heavy lineup, the concert was wonderful.

The concert last night was incredible. John played piano himself for As Time Goes By!!!!!!!!!

He looks fantastic too. This was my 7th John Williams concert, all within the last 6 years, and I think this was the most energy-filled and healthy I've seen him. So remarkable that a man of his has so much life still!

I was there. "As Time Goes By" with Williams on piano was a real highlight, and it wasn't even on the program. On the Jaws/SW/Raiders/ET suite, the tuba player flubbed the solo on Jaws (although I heard him get it right in rehearsal! Must've blown out his chops). The encore (Imperial March) was fantastic. The guest violinist was fantastic, as was Audrey.

What was funny was after the 1st encore, we were all standing up and clapping for more. Williams came out and put his hands in a sleeping gesture, as if he had to get to bed. I got the picture and stopped clapping!

All in all a wonderful evening, wonderful surroundings, and my first Williams concert at age 23. I'm so glad I came.

I hope you do get to see him in concert. It will be a longlasting happy memory, I am sure.

I was lucky to be able to see JW 1996 and 1997 when her performed in London ('96) and then Birmingham ('97) here in the UK. I always recall how brilliant the performance of The Lost World theme was at the '97 concert.

At the Birmingham concert I recall him losing hold of his baton! As he swung his hand back down towards the lectern on which his copy of the scores were lying, he deftly picked up a spare baton and carried on as if nothing had happened. :)

JC

Just found this: