Home Alone 2: Lost In New York - 20th Anniversary 2CD Edition by La-La Land Records (2012)

Jay

17 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think the original ost had speed issues ..so I wouldn't like to have that...

If someday they decide to re-create the OST from the 2012 elements, it would fix the speed issues. 

10 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

On the contrary, I found the expanded version excessively loud.

Here's an absolute insider tip when that happens, but don't tell anyone! 

You turn the volume down. :P

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The expanded version has greater dynamic range.

Few soundtracks albums (hell, few albums, period) sound as good as the expanded Home Alone! 

22 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Here's an absolute insider tip when that happens, but don't tell anyone! 

You turn the volume down. :P

Few soundtracks albums (hell, few albums, period) sound as good as the expanded Home Alone! 

1 or 2?

• 3 months later...

I'm just listening to this set and have a few questions:

Doesn't the choir in Merry Christmas sing longer on its own in the movie's end titles than in the album version? And what happens at 1:35? The quality suddenly drops dramatically. It isn't like that on the Varèse set, right?

Also, some people say a small insert is missing. Where can that be found in the movie?

• 7 months later...

The sheer amount of notes in a score like Home Alone or Home Alone 2 is just exhausting to me (from a composer’s POV). That’s a lot of work. Hours and hours spent with only paper and a pencil. These scores are straight-up ear candy to me but I start to sweat if I think too much about it haha. 

2 hours ago, MikeH said:

The sheer amount of notes in a score like Home Alone or Home Alone 2 is just exhausting to me (from a composer’s POV). That’s a lot of work. Hours and hours spent with only paper and a pencil. These scores are straight-up ear candy to me but I start to sweat if I think too much about it haha. 

Yeah it's quite insane and fascinating how intricate these scores can be...especially that kind of action cues !

So many things going on, so many ideas, so many layers, so many notes :mrgreen:

Just saying it's impressive to look at :D

And to think that JW wrote all of these notes one by one, and that later they were all written again by orchestrators/score preparators...seems like such a daunting task !

I remember JoAnn Kane saying they'd copied something like a million notes for a certain JW project :eek:

So, finally ordered this score. I don't have nearly the same connection tk it as to the first one but I know it'll grow on me very quickly.

The opening Somewhere Im My Memory and Star of Betlehem are new takes, right? Are they revised, rearranged, different?

2 hours ago, Holko said:

So, finally ordered this score. I don't have nearly the same connection tk it as to the first one but I know it'll grow on me very quickly.

The opening Somewhere Im My Memory and Star of Betlehem are new takes, right? Are they revised, rearranged, different?

Yes the songs are new arrangements which Williams also recorded for his Boston Pops album Joy to the World (on that album their arrangement was credited to John Neufeld, Williams' frequent orchestrator).

Both of the versions are now arranged for a mixed choir and contain more robust orchestrations.

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wouldn't name the medley of old Christmas songs the highlight of the score.

I would. That Mendelssohn arrangement is gorgeous.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Btw, did you think of a particular work by Mendelssohn?

Yes. I was thinking of Hark the Heralds Angels Sing. But the medley doesn't have that, it starts with O Come, All Ye Faithful. Mixup on my part.

9 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes. I was thinking of Hark the Heralds Angels Sing. But the medley doesn't have that, it starts with O Come, All Ye Faithful. Mixup on my part.

I like the opening track on the JW conducted Joy to the World album.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:37 AM, Holko said:

Well, I got to it. I'll be removing these from the opening for my phone playlist for sure. The originals have the genuine, pleasing kids' choir, these have... deep adult voices going over the top with that operatic vibrato way that always makes me want to leave the 200m circle around the audio source from which it's emanating.

But the main title's damn good! Brought my hopes back up for the rest.

I listened to HA 3 times this week and lamented that the Holiday Flight motif only appears for short bursts, there's no one longer comprehensive presentation - now I got that with We Overslept Again/Holiday Flight, holy shit!

Loooooooove Arrival in New York!

Concierge - that is precisely how you score your Tim Curry. Well done.

Distant Goodnights - Just from the film I never thought Christmas Star was quite up to the level of the new carols of the first one - but it may be growing on me.

Duncan's Toy Store - I can just feel my smile involuntarily growing wider and wider.

To the Plaza, Presto - Hell Yeah! Fighting the Troll!

Hot Pursuit - Hell Yeah! Circus Train!

Haunted Brownstone's pretty cool.

Christmas at Carnegie Hall - Hell Yeah!

Preparing the Trap - FUCK YEAH

That timpani BAUWMMMMMM in Another Christmas, Running Through Town... yes, this is a cartoon score now.

The final "siege" in the original is a bunch of stingers spotted impeccably around the action and sound effects, building up to be bigger and bigger. I'm not feeling Luring the Thieves and Kevin's Booby Traps as much at all. Some trimming may be in order. Into the Park manages to recover thankfully.

We Wish You a Merry Christmas / Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas: go to hell, Johnny, with your supposedly happy choir pieces starting with a jumpscare opening and sung in a hair-raising way!

The music box and piano pieces are nice, even after we got so very spoilt with those full orchestral source snippets for the first one.

My Christmas Tree gives me much more... South Park's A Woodland Critter Christmas vibes.

Holiday Flight (alternate)...

WHAT

:drool:

The burglar finale would have been way better on every level had they cut more than half of it from the movie.

Merry Christmas is such an amazing piece, but I really, really d not understand why he presented it on the OST the way he did. The alternate is the only version one should keep.