Home Alone 2: Lost In New York - 20th Anniversary 2CD Edition by La-La Land Records (2012)

Jay

10 hours ago, Holko said:

To the Plaza, Presto - Hell Yeah! Fighting the Troll!

I just knew that Fighting the Troll was more familiar than it should be, when I heard it on the LLL release last year. Now I know why.

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I just knew that Fighting the Troll was more familiar than it should be, when I heard it on the LLL release last year. Now I know why.

Listen to Giacchino's "The Motorcycle Chase" from Medal of Honor Underground too ;)

On 12/7/2019 at 10:38 AM, Holko said:

We Wish You a Merry Christmas / Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas: go to hell, Johnny, with your supposedly happy choir pieces starting with a jumpscare opening and sung in a hair-raising way!

Like Gloria

On 4/1/2019 at 7:43 PM, bollemanneke said:

I'm just listening to this set and have a few questions: [re Merry Christmas]

And what happens at 1:35? The quality suddenly drops dramatically. It isn't like that on the Varèse set, right?

Did we ever get an answer for this?

• 2 months later...

My surprise Christmas gift of 2019 was this cd. Home Alone and Home Alone 2 are two work that Williams never gets the true credit he deserves that often goes to his overrated stuff. 

This is Amazing stuff. 

• 3 months later...

This is probably been asked a million times before, but is this set a significant improvement over the Varese Sarabande edition?

This title wasn't rebuilt from scratch from newly found elements, like LLL's second expansion of Home Alone was.  They used the same element as the 2002 Varese version, but added lots of bonus tracks they left off the 2002 edition, and re-jiggered the main program a bit.  The whole package is much nicer looking too.

You could sell the Varese edition and probably get enough money to upgrade to this edition.  There is no benefit to keeping the Varese edition, other than the fact that you already have it, and it would cost money to get this one.

But there's no question that this is a better presentation of the score than the Varese was.

Has there ever been a subsequent expanded release that was not as good as the previous expanded release?  Not just JW but any composer / film?

2 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Has there ever been a subsequent expanded release that was not as good as the previous expanded release?  Not just JW but any composer / film?

Back to the Future?

This LLL does have disadvantages. It opens with the concert arrangements, for instance, which really doesn't work, especially because the performance of Star of Bethlehem is so terrible. I would be very interested in a re-issue that adds the songs too. Adding them makes the whole package much more varied.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

This LLL does have disadvantages. It opens with the concert arrangements, for instance, which really doesn't work, especially because the performance of Star of Bethlehem is so terrible. I would be very interested in a re-issue that adds the songs too. Adding them makes the whole package much more varied.

ka9l28ck_1wtm4yo_stbwoj.png

Compared to the relative classics on 1, most the songs in 2 are just not interesting or memorable at all. But the first thing I did was definitely throwing the first 2 tracks in the recycling bin.

On 12/1/2012 at 7:29 PM, chinaismine said:

Star of Bethlehem gets pretty horrible around 2:30.

It is still "horrible" on the LLL release, heavy compression was used on this:

image.png

Seems like they used the exact same masters as the 2002 Varese Sarabande release. 

@Jay Are you still thinking this is the last, definitive release of HA2 and that there's no chance to see a brand new master coming from Mike Matessino (possibly for the 30th Anniversary) ?

Does the Varese booklet state exactly what sources they used? Is this practically a reprint? HA1 was deemed worthy of a redo after only 5 years because better sources were found.

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

Compared to the relative classics on 1, most the songs in 2 are just not interesting or memorable at all. But the first thing I did was definitely throwing the first 2 tracks in the recycling bin.

I personally prefer the songs in 2. 'It's the most wonderful time of the year' and 'all alone on Christmas' are so much nicer than 'please come home for Christmas'.

I suppose a fresh rebuild from analog elements would be possible, though now that Disney owns Fox it all becomes trickier. I think MM would prioritize scores that haven't been expanded yet over a score that's had two expansions and sold 6,000 copies combined 

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

It is still "horrible" on the LLL release, heavy compression was used on this:

image.png

Do you hear it? I don't!

Is there really a reason to make a new release? It already sounds better than the 2015 Home Alone version.

I prefer the gentler Boston Pops performance from the Joy the the World album. The HA2 is too bombastic and therefore ruins the piece.

Both expanded releases are fine. It's a nice score but hardly worth endless tinkering.

Karol

22 hours ago, Romão said:

This is probably been asked a million times before, but is this set a significant improvement over the Varese Sarabande edition?

A friend of mine keeps telling me that it's worth it for one of the additional cues. I've never picked it up since I was happy enough with the Varese, but now I regret not including it in my recent Intrada order.

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I’d buy a new release of HA2.

I don't really have a problem with the sound of the existing release(s), but I do expect it could sound smoother & nicer. I'd pick up a remaster.

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I prefer the gentler Boston Pops performance from the Joy the the World album. The HA2 is too bombastic and therefore ruins the piece.

Which piece?

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Both expanded releases are fine. It's a nice score but hardly worth endless tinkering.

Just about as much worth it as the first one, I'd say.

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Which piece?

Star of Betlehem is what was being discussed there. The film recording does have a weird mix and performance and recording. Also that end section crackles for me around "seet uss FREEEEEE" unless I turn up the volume.

Oh god the Joy to the World version goes oven more over the top and insufferable choir-wise.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Do you hear it? I don't!

Is there really a reason to make a new release? It already sounds better than the 2015 Home Alone version.

I definitely hear that it is loud and kind of "pinched"

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

Star of Betlehem is what was being discussed there. The film recording does have a weird mix and performance and recording. Also that end section crackles for me around "seet uss FREEEEEE" unless I turn up the volume.

I've never had an issue with the performance. Yes, it's bombastic, but that seems to be the point of the new arrangement. I like the drama. If I want less bombast, I can always play the version from the first score.