Home Alone 2: Lost In New York - 20th Anniversary 2CD Edition by La-La Land Records (2012)

Jay

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

My only reason to get HA2 were the two new JW carols, and new takes on the two old JW carols.

One can never have enough...

Karol(s)

Went to sleep debating whether to order this, woke up and it was gone.

Ah well, hopefully there's a new reissue in the next few years which fixes the compression issues.

I love the little celeste figure that opens the theme in Christmas Star - Preparing the Trap - so magical and fuzzy feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

So I received my copy today and it seems like it is defective, CD 2 will refuse to rip accurately, even when using EAC.

Is there anyone here who bought a copy from that last batch having the same problem? 

21 minutes ago, Chewy said:

So I received my copy today and it seems like it is defective, CD 2 will refuse to rip accurately, even when using EAC.

Is there anyone here who bought a copy from that last batch having the same problem? 

If you contact LLLR you'll quite likely get a replacement, even though it's out of print.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If you contact them, you'll quite likely get a replacement, even though it's out of print.

I purchased my copy from MusicBox Records, they'll let me know if I need to contact LLL directly.

• 3 months later...

The Varese/LLL edition is two cues in one track, 2M1 Holiday Flight I followed by 2M2 Holiday Flight II

The "Holiday Flight (Alternate)" track is 2M2 Holiday Flight (Alternate)

I wish that the 25th anniversary of Home Alone had the same set-up as the 20th. I liked Somewhere and Bethlehem at the beginning, weirdly. And when they did the same for HA2 I was thrilled. I love continuity between series releases. The 25th is amazing, don't get me wrong. I am being admittedly very petty.

Upon listening to HA2, I've realized how similar his approach was to Chamber of Secrets. Coincidence? Chris Columbus.

Can't you just change the order of the tracks in your music player of choice?  How often do you play the physical disc these days?

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Can't you just change the order of the tracks in your music player of choice?  How often do you play the physical disc these days?

I actually do prefer to spin the physical disc in my stereo. Really the only times I do not are rare instances where I have only been able to acquire something digitally, or it is only released digitally. I conceivably could upload it and do that, but I prefer not to. There is something nostalgic about taking it down off the shelf and laying it nicely in the tray.

I get mad over CD-Rs :lol:

Meh, 2's songs are much weaker overall.

And I like that the new HA1 doesn't have the two carols at the beginning because I hate the HA2 versions and got rid of them immediately :lol: - so there's continuity between the scores for me!

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Meh, 2's songs are much weaker overall.

And I like that the new HA1 doesn't have the two carols at the beginning because I hate the HA2 versions and got rid of them immediately :lol: - so there's continuity between the scores for me!

I would certainly buy a new HA2 that doesn't. It was the consistency that bothered me the most, honestly. All 3 releases are perfectly fine imo, sparing that one little peeve to my OCD ;)

• 2 years later...

Is there a chance that this will ever get re-issued/re-released? I think I love the Christmas Star theme even more than Somewhere in My Memory, but I missed out on getting this release, and now am not keen on spending $230 AUD on it...

I wish the opening of 'Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas' didn't have the instrumental underneath the chorus at the beginning, just like it is in the film. The choir all by itself for that little section is really good.

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

تويتر \ Jordan Runtagh على تويتر: "Whenever I find someone who also likes the  Titanic a lot. #TitanicLiveTweetThread https://t.co/u0PrgzetsD"

Is Christmas Star not as popular as I thought it was? I really love it, the 2 statements of it when Kevin is having his quiet moments are really sad, in a sense, which is what its going for. 

11 hours ago, Trope said:

Both tracks are masterful and greatly evocative of innocence and childhood memories. Somewhere in My Memory is a beautiful, nostalgic Christmas song, full of joyful holiday sentiment. To me it arouses feelings of casting one's mind back to recall a happy and cherished memory. There is a wonderful lightness and sweetness about the song, and a sense of completeness.

On the other hand, Christmas Star has more of a melancholic feel, heightening the separation between us and times past; as much as we think about these memories, we can never go back in time and truly relive our best experiences: they are lost to time. It has a ghostly, quasi-distant quality to it. The alternating chords at the beginning suggest the inevitability of time passing (like a ticking clock). Just some of my thoughts!

I absolutely love listening to these scores around Christmas-time.

This this this this!!!

13 hours ago, Trope said:

I absolutely love listening to these scores around Christmas-time.

Me too. I’m a seasonal listener. I can’t listen to them anytime but December. 

Yes, Christmas Star is a bit more mature I guess is the word I’d use.   The orchestral interlude that swells up between the verses is enough to bring a tear. But then, I could say the same about Somewhere in My Memory.  I think they compliment each other nicely, but I tend to appreciate Christmas Star more. Maybe because it gets less play?

@bollemanneke I adore the recording quality. I think it is razor sharp and just bristles with clarity. 

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Me too. I’m a seasonal listener. I can’t listen to them anytime but December. 

Yes, Christmas Star is a bit more mature I guess is the word I’d use.   The orchestral interlude that swells up between the verses is enough to bring a tear. But then, I could say the same about Somewhere in My Memory.  I think they compliment each other nicely, but I tend to appreciate Christmas Star more. Maybe because it gets less play?

@bollemanneke I adore the recording quality. I think it is razor sharp and just bristles with clarity. 

Oh I agree that the clarity is stunning. It's just lifeless. Compare the tuba solos for Kevin in this score and the first one. This one sounds like Giacchino recorded it.

• 4 weeks later...

Do the liner notes happen to mention anything about the expanded score utilizing the film takes? I've been lining up cues for fun to see how well they fit and a good amount of them don't fit, and while some tracks are edited, some of the cues in the films audio tracks have no audible cuts, and the cues on the album sometimes sync and then de-sync to the audio tracks. I find it a little strange, and I did see that when Jay posted somewhere that they couldn't find the master tapes(or something like that, I can't remember where I saw that), and I was wondering if that was why the film takes aren't present, if that is indeed true.

You know I'm not sure it's ever mentioned, the Varese notes (Link), La La Land release notes (Link) or Jays Sheet (Link) don't seem to mention sources. Even the La La Land sales page (Link) doesn't have anything... 

I do however have this note but I can't seem to find the source where Mike Matessino mentioned...

"We had a pristine copy of everything that was recorded. There are over 75 cues in the score and an average of 5 or 6 takes of every cue. That was about 11 hours of music. The scoring logs did have the “goody” takes circled by music editor Ken Wannberg, but when comparing the multiple takes against the original album it became clear that some of the un-circled takes were also utilized."

CORRECTION: I remembered the source :) it was an interview from this very site back in 2003! (Link) under the Question - "What was the biggest challenge in putting the set together?"

Doesn't tell us explicitly if film takes were used for the releases though. 

17 minutes ago, KittBash said:

You know I'm not sure it's ever mentioned, the Varese notes (Link), La La Land release notes (Link) or Jays Sheet (Link) don't seem to mention sources. Even the La La Land sales page (Link) doesn't have anything... 

I do however have this note but I can't seem to find the source where Mike Matessino mentioned...

"We had a pristine copy of everything that was recorded. There are over 75 cues in the score and an average of 5 or 6 takes of every cue. That was about 11 hours of music. The scoring logs did have the “goody” takes circled by music editor Ken Wannberg, but when comparing the multiple takes against the original album it became clear that some of the un-circled takes were also utilized."

CORRECTION: I remembered the source :) it was an interview from this very site back in 2003! (Link) under the Question - "What was the biggest challenge in putting the set together?"

Doesn't tell us explicitly if film takes were used for the releases though. 

I've read that interview before and that makes sense why some stuff isn't synching up 100%. I think they used the 'correct' performance for each cue versus the one used for the film. Interesting. Thanks for linking the notes, I can't wait to read thru them.

• 2 months later...

I can’t remember who or where it was, but someone was asking the other day about the cues that comprise Duncan’s Toy Store (LLL disc 1 track 13):

0:00–0:28 5M5 Ice Skating
0:28–0:47 5M6 Hatching A Plan

0:47–1:52 5M7 Duncan’s Christmas Display

1:52–end 5M8 In The Toy Houses