Die Hard With A Vengeance by Michael Kamen (La-La Land 2CD Complete)

Jay

If you were talking world wide, why did you say North America?

I was surprised to read that this was the highest grossing film of 1995 in North America. I always thought it was either Batman Forever or Toy Story.

America is the world.

• 6 years later...

I had always wanted to see how well Kamen's original approach functioned in this scene compared to the music tracked from Die Hard, so I whipped up a video that approximated his original intentions. The timing isn't perfect, but I think it covers the most significant beats. I'd really like to see the version of the film that Kamen scored someday

Wow that was cool, thanks for that!

I don't really understand a lot of the changes McTiernan made to the score in this film.  I mean, the end result is fine, nothing seems out of place when you watch the final film, but I don't get what he didn't like about a lot of Kamen's original approaches that he wanted to change

21 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

I had always wanted to see how well Kamen's original approach functioned in this scene compared to the music tracked from Die Hard, so I whipped up a video that approximated his original intentions. The timing isn't perfect, but I think it covers the most significant beats. I'd really like to see the version of the film that Kamen scored someday

Wow, the orchestra is understaffed as hell on that score!

• 7 months later...

Interesting... Doesn't seem to have much to do with the onscreen action. Do we know Kamen scored this to the same assembly of shots as the final film? 

• 7 months later...

That cue had puzzled me for the longest time, because I could never figure out why such a large section was cut out of the film. Then it occurred to me that it might have been spotted to start earlier in the film, and that the filmmakers simply moved it to start later, for whatever reason. So, I experimented with the cue and the corresponding scene, and sure enough, it appears that the music was spotted to start right when McClane hangs up the pay phone ("We're fucked"), and synchronizes perfectly with the rest of the action. In doing so, I noticed just how much the filmmakers tampered with the multitracks for this particular cue, such as switching around overdubs, and removing the most obvious statements of the Die Hard/McClane theme.

The resulting video attempts to resemble Kamen's original intentions for the scene.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 12:51 PM, Corellian2019 said:

A quick explanation for the rationale behind this video will follow, right now I'm burned out at work

Wow!  Finally had a chance to watch this, and it was great!  Everything you did makes perfect sense to me.  Nice work!

I'm waiting for the THREE DISC version.

😎

Those first three DH films are like the first three INDY flicks;

the ultimate in action/adventure.

They supplanted the Bond films as the supreme series for that sort of thing.... stunts, chases, fights etc.

• 2 years later...
13 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

In this website, the complete cue list for DH:WAV has been made available, and judging by slates such as "Drumbeat Source" and "Gang Confrontation", there is still material to be released. There are even audio clips of unused original versions of cues! Since they weren't included in La-La Land's set, I can only assume that they were only recently found by Kamen's estate.

Either way, since the score is currently OOP, maybe eventually we will get a three-disc version with these extra goodies!

Nice find!  Those unreleased snippets are neat, and the cue list is longer than expected!

I would rebuy as a 3CD set for sure!

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

There are also clips from Die Hard 2 that were not on the deluxe edition.

Just clips, i.e. not full tracks?

I tried to browse the new Kamen site but on my phone it was a nightmare, will need to check it out on the PC.

24 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Just clips, i.e. not full tracks?

I tried to browse the new Kamen site but on my phone it was a nightmare, will need to check it out on the PC.

Yes, 30 seconds or so.

Karol

Not getting the love for the reinstated cues - how is the Aquaduct que that much different from The Runway from DH2 as it was in the original? Yes, the ending is different, but is this not the same score otherwise, perhaps with slight orchestrational variations? That is why I never warmed up to DH3 - it just sounded like a very slight expansion of 2. The taxi cue is terrible!

Same here. Loved it in the movie too - somehow it prepares the whole subway mayhem which is about to come after it.

This score has a special place in my heart. It was the first action movie which I need to go with my parents to the cinema to watch. And with this score my love to film scores started. All these years I listened to the OST. When La La Land Records announced the expanded score back then it was like a dream come true. With the complete cue list now showing the flame newly rekindled again with hope for a more "expanded" set. I really hope for it. 

It was the second r-rated movie I saw in the theater!  The first was Bram Stoker's Dracula!  My dad took me to both

haha nice. The theme of "When Johnny comes marching home" sticked in my head. I also asked by dad if the music of this movie is available somehow. He replied he don't think so. He was really surprised when we were in a record store and I ran towards my dad with the OST in my hands. 

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

One of the worst OST programs of all time!

So very true! Atrocious!