Ennio Morricone's The Untouchables (La-La Land 2CD Complete)

Jay

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1003_10151354310898755_676362621_n.jpg'>10031015135431089875567.jpg

(click to embiggen)

THE UNTOUCHABLES – EXPANDED 2 CD SET

MUSIC BY ENNIO MORRICONE

LLLCD 1236

LIMITED EDITION OF 3500 UNITS

RETAIL PRICE: $24.98

PRODUCED BY DAN GOLDWASSER AND NEIL S. BULK

MASTERED BY DOUG SCHWARTZ

LINER NOTES BY JEFF BOND

ART DIRECTION BY DAN GOLDWASSER

La-La Land Records, Universal Music and Paramount Pictures are proud to announce the 25th Anniversary 2 cd set of Ennio Morricone’s masterpiece THE UNTOUCHABLES. Disc One of this stellar set features the score as heard in the film. Disc two features the Grammy award winning album presentation as well a number of bonus tracks including the unused song performed by Randy Edelman that was based on the love theme from the film. What makes this release extra special is now the fans of the score can hear both versions of the Maestro’s powerful score on cd – the film mix as well as the original album mix – both have never sounded better!

DISC 1

ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SCORE

1. The Strength of the Righteous 2:31

2. Ness and His Family–Part I 1:40

3. Warehouse*/False Alarm 1:51

4. Ness Meets Malone 1:21

5. Al Capone–Part II (vers. 2) 1:39

6. A Mother’s Plea 0:55

7. Ness Meets Wallace*/Ness Meets Stone* 0:33

8. Victorious 2:10

9. Murderous/Goodnights 1:40

10. Nitti Harasses Ness 1:01

11. Send Family Away 1:00

12. Waiting for What?/Montana Intro 0:48

13. Waiting at the Border 3:47

14. The Untouchables 3:05

15. Surprise Attack/Dead Man’s Bluff 1:15

16. Ness and His Family–Part II 1:17

17. In the Elevator 1:10

18. Four Friends 2:51

19. Payne and Bowtie/Ness Study*/Al Capone–Part I 0:52

20. The Man with the Matches/Nitti Shoots Malone* 3:04

21. Malone’s Death 2:17

22. Machine Gun Lullaby/Kill Bowtie 7:41

23. Courthouse Chase 1:38

24. On the Rooftops/Nitti’s Fall 2:55

25. He’s in the Car/Here Endeth the Lesson 0:32

26. Death Theme 2:42

27. The Untouchables (End Title) 3:10

TOTAL DISC TIME: 55:25

DISC 2

ORIGINAL A&M ALBUM

1. The Untouchables (End Title) 3:11

2. Al Capone 2:56

3. Waiting at the Border 3:46

4. Death Theme 2:42

5. On the Rooftops 2:34

6. Victorious 2:09

7. The Man With the Matches 2:47

8. The Strength of the Righteous (Main Title) 2:28

9. Ness and His Family 2:45

10. False Alarm 1:12

11. The Untouchables 3:04

12. Four Friends 2:50

13. Machine Gun Lullaby 7:08

BONUS TRACKS

14. Mood Indigo 3:41 (D. Ellingon, I. Mills, B. Bigard)

15. Al Capone–Part II (vers. 1) 1:39

16. Machine Gun Lullaby–Part 1 (no celeste) 4:58

17. On the Rooftops (no saxophone) 2:34

18. Here Endeth the Lesson (alternate) 0:16

19. Love Theme From The Untouchables 4:07 performed by Randy Edelman

TOTAL DISC TIME: 56:47

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 112:12

* not used in film

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151353875608755&set=a.181243738754.155532.56031953754&type=1'>http://www.facebook....31953754&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151354310898755&set=a.181243738754.155532.56031953754&type=1'>http://www.facebook....31953754&type=1

Available to order at 1PM PST on Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 at http://www.lalalandrecords.com/'>http://www.lalalandrecords.com/ and other fine retailers.

I had the ost on cassette but lost it during a move years ago. It's been nearly twenty years since I watched the movie and the score which was once ingrained in my brain seems like a nostalgic distant memory. Only wish I was less skint than I am at the moment because I feel like getting reacquainted with both.

Dangit! Something else I can't afford right now. Once again, I hope this lasts until after the first of the year.

Definitely one of those scores that no one does like this anymore.

THE UNTOUCHABLES: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1236

Music by Ennio Morricone

Limited Edition of 3500 Units

STARTS SHIPPING DEC 7th

RETAIL PRICE: $24.98

UntouchablesWeb.jpg

ORDER “THE UNTOUCHABLES: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)” starting Dec 4th at 1pm PST atwww.lalalandrecords.com

La-La Land Records, Paramount Pictures and Universal Music Special Markets present the remastered and expanded 2-CD release of acclaimed composer Ennio Morricone’s (THE MAN WITH NO NAME TRILOGY, THE MISSION, FAT MAN AND LITTLE BOY, IN THE LINE OF FIRE) masterful orchestral score to the 1987 Paramount Pictures crime classic THE UNTOUCHABLES, starring Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, Andy Garcia and Robert DeNiro, and directed by Brian De Palma. This superb sounding release marks the 25th anniversary of this beloved film and its indelible, powerhouse score. Disc One contains the score mix as heard in the film while Disc Two features the remastered, Grammy-winning original A&M soundtrack (which was mixed differently), along with special bonus tracks that include a song demo “Love Theme From The Untouchables” performed by Randy Edelman! Produced by Dan Goldwasser and Neil S. Bulk and mastered by Doug Schwartz, this special release, limited to 3500 units, features exclusive in-depth liner notes by film music writer Jeff Bond. This is the ultimate release of a film music classic. Here endeth the lesson!

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1

ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SCORE

1. The Strength of the Righteous 2:31

2. Ness and His Family–Part I 1:40

3. Warehouse*/False Alarm 1:51

4. Ness Meets Malone 1:21

5. Al Capone–Part II (vers. 2) 1:39

6. A Mother’s Plea 0:55

7. Ness Meets Wallace*/Ness Meets Stone* 0:33

8. Victorious 2:10

9. Murderous/Goodnights 1:40

10. Nitti Harasses Ness 1:01

11. Send Family Away 1:00

12. Waiting for What?/Montana Intro 0:48

13. Waiting at the Border 3:47

14. The Untouchables 3:05

15. Surprise Attack/Dead Man’s Bluff 1:15

16. Ness and His Family–Part II 1:17

17. In the Elevator 1:10

18. Four Friends 2:51

19. Payne and Bowtie/Ness Study*/Al Capone–Part I 0:52

20. The Man with the Matches/Nitti Shoots Malone* 3:04

21. Malone’s Death 2:17

22. Machine Gun Lullaby/Kill Bowtie 7:41

23. Courthouse Chase 1:38

24. On the Rooftops/Nitti’s Fall 2:55

25. He’s in the Car/Here Endeth the Lesson 0:32

26. Death Theme 2:42

27. The Untouchables (End Title) 3:10

TOTAL DISC TIME: 55:25

DISC 2

ORIGINAL A&M ALBUM

1. The Untouchables (End Title) 3:11

2. Al Capone 2:56

3. Waiting at the Border 3:46

4. Death Theme 2:42

5. On the Rooftops 2:34

6. Victorious 2:09

7. The Man With the Matches 2:47

8. The Strength of the Righteous (Main Title) 2:28

9. Ness and His Family 2:45

10. False Alarm 1:12

11. The Untouchables 3:04

12. Four Friends 2:50

13. Machine Gun Lullaby 7:08

BONUS TRACKS

14. Mood Indigo 3:41

(D. Ellingon, I. Mills, B. Bigard)

15. Al Capone–Part II (vers. 1) 1:39

16. Machine Gun Lullaby–Part 1 (no celeste) 4:58

17. On the Rooftops (no saxophone) 2:34

18. Here Endeth the Lesson (alternate) 0:16

19. Love Theme From The Untouchables 4:07

performed by Randy Edelman

TOTAL DISC TIME: 56:47

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 112:12

* not used in film

From the LLL email

Note that LLL will not have their stock of Home Alone 2 and The Untouchables in until Thursday night / Friday morning, so if you order either of those along with Die Hard 3 or the Trek box (both of which they already have in stock), your entire order won't ship until Friday. So if you want Die Hard 3 or the Trek Box right away, order them separately from Home Alone 2 and/or The Untouchables.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=92965&forumID=1

I'm so glad this is complete. I ordered this. Their's one piece of music missing the opera scene with Pagliacci. It can easily be purchased from itunes. Dreamlist Vol.3 album Track 21 it's the recording the used for the film.

• 1 year later...

I think that here in Europe at least, he's more known amongst the average people than Williams (they probably remember Williams' melodies more, but I think if you asked them to name just one film composer, Morricone would be the one they'd come up with more often than Williams. Hey, let's carry out a study if it's true!)

Known, yes. Mostly for his Leone and 70s stuff though I'd say. And he's written such a shitload of scores that selling out 3,500 units in a not so long time is quite an achievement for a score that's not among his popular classics. At least I never thought of Untouchables being one of those. Although he does include it in his current concert programme - but then he also includes several scores I'd never even heard of.

I think that here in Europe at least, he's more known amongst the average people than Williams (they probably remember Williams' melodies more, but I think if you asked them to name just one film composer, Morricone would be the one they'd come up with more often than Williams. Hey, let's carry out a study if it's true!)

It is but JW fans don't want it to be true, i have the bloody scars from the battle with KM and Joey to prove it.

It also adds to the fact that people over here almost equal Williams with vacuous Hollywood glitz. Not knowing a great deal about his music, obviously. I played some more obscure things to one of such people and he couldn't believe it was that "cheap manipulative jolly movie tune" guy. They were even more perplexed when I pksyed concert pieces. And that wad only first violin concerto which is as accessible as his music goes.

I guess, my point here is that people do know his name. But that's not always in a good way.

Karol

Of course but here in Argentina more people know those than Star Wars and Superman. I think there's something about Morricone's european sensibilities than connects more with people here than with they probably associate with a more North American sound.

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, Bespin said:

This 2-CD expansion is on my wishlist, but it's still OOP I think?

Last summer, MV on FSM said it could be back in LLL's catalog when I asked him about.

EDIT: found it.

Dear MV, is there any chance for Morricone’s „The Untouchables” 2CDs re-release ?

Yes

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but I thought I would echo support for LLL re-releasing or reissuing this amazing score. It may be my favourite Morricone, and the 2CD set from 2012 is currently selling for an average of $300AUD. I don't know exactly how reissues work, but they've done several in the past few years (E.T., Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, Braveheart) which have allowed me to get my hands on these incredible expansions without having to pay insane prices (or just not being able to listen to them at all). If this were reissued, it would be an instant purchase from me. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd probably include it in my top 5 Morricone scores. 

Absolutely! I get emotional every time I listen to the "main theme" (i.e. the end credits theme). The choice to score the heroes' victories with such a strong, noble and upright theme is so effective in the film. Since the characters are essentially up against impossible odds through much of the film, when they do get victory at the end and Morricone lets loose with this incredible music, it never fails to give me chills. It makes the good guys' struggle so much more moving and meaningful.

Also, the way he orchestrates the 3 or 4 trumpets (along with horns) so that they are constantly overlapping and "dialoguing" with each other is awesome on a purely technical level.

1 hour ago, Trope said:

Absolutely! I get emotional every time I listen to the "main theme" (i.e. the end credits theme). The choice to score the heroes' victories with such a strong, noble and upright theme is so effective in the film. Since the characters are essentially up against impossible odds through much of the film, when they do get victory at the end and Morricone lets loose with this incredible music, it never fails to give me chills. It makes the good guys' struggle so much more moving and meaningful.

Agreed. Not to mention the awesome main titles theme. All the themes in this score are memorable. 

Echo all the comments on this score, one of my favourite Ennio scores. I kept the original soundtrack album programme (which was included in LLL's release) although I never could fathom why Ennio elected to end the album with the Machine Gun Lullaby which just leaves you hanging. Equally oddly, the heroic End Title is the first track so you don't get any build up to that as a dramatic release after the tension. The album won a Grammy, deserved for the music, but as an album... not so much. It was a strong year at the Oscars but would have been a worthy win (JW was nominated twice so quite possibly cancelled himself out).

6 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I never could fathom why Ennio elected to end the album with the Machine Gun Lullaby which just leaves you hanging.

Yeah, that's just weird. And the elimination of the first few seconds of The Strength of the Righteous always bothered me, as it's a great intro!

6 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

JW was nominated twice so quite possibly cancelled himself out

I wonder how many times JW was nominated twice and didn't win.

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, that's just weird. And the elimination of the first few seconds of The Strength of the Righteous always bothered me, as it's a great intro!

Agreed! Oh well, guess we at least have the expanded score to rectify both of these. Also the placing of the opening title halfway through is odd, although I guess that's so that it appears a the start of the second side on an LP, but on CD its placement makes no sense.

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A few I'm sure (amazing that CE3K and Star Wars didn't cancel each other out), although I'm convinced that if he hadn't been nominated for both Apollo 13 and Braveheart in the same year, James Horner would have won his first Oscar that year. Both are great scores from generally well regarded movies, but as neither is clearly a standout (they both represent some of the best of Horner's best 90s drama scoring), they could easily have split the vote. One reason I always think there should be only one nomination per composer in any year.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

1973 (including Best Original Song)

1990 (including Best Original Song)

1991 (including Best Original Song)

1995 (including Best Original Song)

Probably heresy to say, but I've never cared much for this score on album. I think the film is great, and the score works wonders in it (including the brilliant riff on Eisenstein in the staircase scene), but outside the theme, there's too much static and/or repetitive material otherwise to my liking.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Probably heresy to say, but I've never cared much for this score on album. I think the film is great, and the score works wonders in it (including the brilliant riff on Eisenstein in the staircase scene), but outside the theme, there's too much static and/or repetitive material otherwise to my liking.

The OST is well curated.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

the brilliant riff on Eisenstein in the staircase scene

Tell us more.