An Unexpected Journey SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Nah. It'll be cut out for the same reason the Scouring of the Shrie was left out. Even Jackson would know showing all that would be too anti-climactic.

Besides, if I'm right, they've only filmed one scene with Andy Serkis. Unless there'll be more in the reshoot.

Nah. It'll be cut out for the same reason the Scouring of the Shrie was left out. Even Jackson would know showing all that would be too anti-climactic.

This is a new Jackson. The reasonable Jackson of the time of LOTR is dead.

This new Jackson gives us undead Orcs, rabbits pulling sleds, Dwarves riding boars, Leggy having sex with Tauriel, and Bilbo killing Smaug.

The Mouth of the Bunnies of Doom has spoken!

I got this one after hacking into your computer:

tumblr_lemvfnYNCS1qf4stko1_500.jpg

Never knew you were such a cam whore. So many pics here! Found lots of awful secrets about Jackson's plans too!

So does anyone know what odds bookies are giving on Jackson showing Gandalf (minus Aragorn) tracking down Gollum and leaving him under guard (and ESCAPING!) in the third movie? What with the little scamp being such a popular part of the franchise an all ;)

I fully expect the 2 sequels to show Gollum leaving his cave trying to find the thief Baggingses.

The third film will end ominously with a flash forward of Gollum being captured and tortured. The last line of this trilogy will be him crying out loud "SHIRE.... BAGGINGS!" with an ominous rendition of the Ring theme playing.

The visuals of the film are overall pretty amazing. However, I could have done without some details that were CGI that clearly didn't need to be. I mean, can't Ian McKellen just light a matchstick? Or Ian Holm for that matter?

Or the Arkenstone. It shouldn't have that odd glow to it, makes it look artificial. The dwarf places looked real and grim in LotR. Remember the extended shots of Moria, with the look into the Mithril mines? That was breathtaking. Why not make a miniature of Erebor?

Agreed. The Arkenstone and much of Erebor for that matter looks like it came from another set of fantasy films than Peter Jackson's Middle-Earth.

With all the talk about HFR, I think the better use of technology was the digital de-aging of the actors. Too bad they can't remove the chubby wrinkles around Hugo Weaving's neck.

It worried me a bit watching it. I mean he was great, and it was all lovely. But it was clear Holms was not in the best condition.

They did! I noticed it my first viewing on Thursday night and again on my second viewing this morning. After Radagast leaves Dol Duldur, it cuts to a shot of the bunnies, and one of them says "quickly, quickly!" when he notices Radagast is running towards them. He gets the rest of the bunnies ready to take off!

I don't remember that...you sure it wasn't Radagast?

Both times I saw the film it seemed to be that the one rabbit that is shown standing up and tapping his feet before the others is the one saying "Quickly, quickly!", but maybe you are right and it is Radagast speaking the line and I was fooled twice.

we rarely use this comment when describing a movie, but Dave and I were in agreement, that's 3 hours of our lives we'll never get back. OMG I thought it would never end.

Awful.

Oh sure it's got some nice effects, but in the end the story is so fluffed up with nothingness.

It was a bloated film. And if my memory serves me well, you weren't all that in love in LotR right (aside from the technical aspects)?

The film will appeal more to LotR fans, and perhaps to casual moviegoers as well. But it doesn't change the fact that there are some serious storytelling/pacing issues. I don't think its nearly as awful as you make it out to be, but a problematic work indeed.

it played like a bad mini series with no conclusion in sight. And the book could be told in the same length of time that according to Jason 6 chapters were told in this film. I retract the word awful, but I will replace it with endless.

Just got back from The Hobbit. I decided to buy a ticket for Lincoln instead, because I didn't want to support The Hobbit after the rumors of animal abuse/neglect on the set. Luckily I found somebody else's ticket stub for The Hobbit after the movie was over (I collect ticket stubs). So that was nice.

I thought the film was good, but disappointing. For me, the coolest parts were the ones that either a) focused on the backstory for the LotR or b) were totally unrelated. The former provided cool backstory. The latter was just a cool opportunity to explore Tolkien's magnificent universe. As soon as they started talking about the new epic story (the dwarves' struggle with the Orcs), it seemed like they were just retreading old ground and sensationalizing what, if my memory serves me, was not a very epic book. Having the eagles come to save everybody at the end confirmed that they were really trying to mimic the LotR trilogy films.

The music was largely taken from LotR or variations on the Misty Mountain Theme. I liked what new stuff I heard, and I liked the Isengard theme cameo. Bilbo wasn't very likable--in fact, the only really likable characters were those from LotR (mostly Gandalf), and Radagast. When Thorin fake-died, I wasn't sad at all.

I wish they could have scaled it down. Sneak in a few story roots for LotR (like the conversation at Rivendell and of course the obligatory Gollum/ring sequence), but other than that make it about exploring Middle Earth in a fun, light-hearted, less consequential way. Don't make any recurring villains--just have a bunch of unrelated challenges, leading up to Smaug. Also, make it into one film (two at most). Don't go for epicness. Oh well.

Oh, also it was way too long. The beginning especially was boring.

Were the giant spiders in the book? I don't remember them.

The company will encounter the spiders in Mirkwood. You'll see them more in 2nd film.

The company will encounter the spiders in Mirkwood. You'll see them more in 2nd film.

I don't plan to.

I remember the bunny tapping his feet, but I believe it was Radagast frantically shouting the line.

Yeap.

I remember the bunny tapping his feet, but I believe it was Radagast frantically shouting the line.

Yeap.

yeap. it was radagast's voice in the spanish dubbed version.

Nice touch on the rabbit tapping.

That's what they do as an 'alarm call'.

Radagast said they were rabbits of 'somewhere place in middle earth'. anyone remembers the name?

I want to know the birthplace of the bunnies of doom. :P

Either it was Rhosgobel (meaning his home near Mirkwood) or Mirkwood. It might have been Rhosgobel rabbits.

we rarely use this comment when describing a movie, but Dave and I were in agreement, that's 3 hours of our lives we'll never get back. OMG I thought it would never end.

Awful.

Oh sure it's got some nice effects, but in the end the story is so fluffed up with nothingness.

For me it was a bit of a guilty pleasure. Not really good and I know it, but in a weird way enjoyable. Probably for sentimental reasons.

Karol

In short? Yeah. But I had some fond memories form the period when the original three films were coming out and I kind of liked them back then. This film sometimes reminds me of that.

Karol