Art critic Camille Paglia: RotS is the greatest work of art in the last 30 years

indy4

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just pointed out that art might be more than just skills. According to the Koray, that's an improper use of the word.

It is, indeed, my fellow enthusiast. Perhaps you should use your own words next time instead of quoting someone saying art has nothing to do with skill and then saying it's more than just skills. Contradict yourself, people might think.

I just pointed out that art might be more than just skills. According to the Koray, that's an improper use of the word.

It is, indeed, my fellow enthusiast. Perhaps you should use your own words next time instead of quoting someone saying art has nothing to do with skill and then saying it's more than just skills. Contradict yourself, people might think.

I merely used these quotes because I think that you are contradicting yourself. You agree with Incanus that art has nothing to do with skill. However, to you, art IS the skill and not the value that people ascribe it to. That goes against the opinion of the Incanus. But you agree with him. Isn't that the big contradiction?

I merely used these quotes because I think that you are contradicting yourself. You agree with Incanus that art has nothing to do with skill. However, to you, art IS the skill and not the value that people ascribe it to. That goes against the opinion of the Incanus. But you agree with him. Isn't that the big contradiction?

No, dude!

Art is neither the skill nor the value people ascribe to it, it merely is. Noun! Art is everywhere. A child's drawing that's hung up on the fridge is art. Da Vinci's Mona Lisa is art. Has this not been clear the whole time?

It's imagination expressed through a sensual medium and allowed for consumption by an audience. I've said this multiple times.

What you and Quint and Steef are getting at, is that the term 'art' should be reserved for what is socially regarded as the best examples of an art form. Mozart for music, Kubrick for film, what have you. But the problem with that is that what is socially regarded as great is completely and utterly irrelevant. It's all subjective opinion anyway, right? Art in and of itself is just a thing. The value that we as the audience attribute to it is explained through descriptors called adjectives! Sublime, evocative, harrowing, visceral, etc. etc.

Be that as it may, it's how people use the word. That's not subjective. That's a fact. It means the word 'art' has different connotations. You say that those people are being stupid, I beg to differ.

What about when an eminent critic mauls Jurassic Park - do you love that as well?

Sure! Nothing like diverse opinions as the spice of life -- whether I disagree vehemently or not. If someone 'mauls' JURASSIC PARK, it's up to me to find points where I disagree, perhaps also trying to delineate where preference ends and wrongful factual observations begins. To pinpoint how I interpret things differently than the critic.

As for the eternal art question.....yes, everything CAN BE art, but it doesn't mean that everything IS art inherently. A knife in your kitchen drawer isn't art in itself, but it can be USED as art in a certain context.

This foolish brainless prequel bashing, i hate it so much on this board. It's got old long ago but you still continue like grannys. Don't you have something better to do? I will be so happy when the ST starts with episode VII. Then you have your new bashing subjects regardless of their true quality. You bashers can again show your negative attitudes to everything new and different and maybe feel better afterwards till you notice that stupid empty "old people" feeling which again and again tells you: "The old days were the good days and everything new is shit"

RotS a bad movie? I feel sorry for everyone who feels like that. If the prequels really excel in one thing it's in their visuals and designs which are even better than the OT.

sorry Koray, ROTS is not art, it's craft,

to paraphrase a wise man I might not be able to define what is art but I know it when I see it.

I saw ROTS and it's not art.

Heh, I remember Ebert got an absolute pasting for days and days on his blog over that statement, to the point that he eventually backed down and apologised! Silly old fool had a crash course in critical humility in his autumn years! At the end of the day though it was a great debate and I still rate him as a movie critic, of course. I felt a bit sorry for him after the dust settled because as far as the more zealous gamer and designer are concerned he'll never live it down, which is a shame.

Everything can be art if it fits the criteria of the definition. It's not a complicated matter, you all just incorrectly think it's something more than a noun.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since the intellectual masturbation is already happening...Alex, Stefan, Quint etc. are still defining art as a noun. They say art is creatively produced work that is good; you say it's creatively produced work. Both are nouns.

sorry Koray, ROTS is not art, it's craft,

to paraphrase a wise man I might not be able to define what is art but I know it when I see it.

I saw ROTS and it's not art.

It really isn't. Craft is creating something to use as a tool, not to express. A chair is craft. It has a physical purpose, to be sat on.

Everything can be art if it fits the criteria of the definition. It's not a complicated matter, you all just incorrectly think it's something more than a noun.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since the intellectual masturbation is already happening...Alex, Stefan, Quint etc. are still defining art as a noun. They say art is creatively produced work that is good; you say it's creatively produced work. Both are nouns.

The way I interpret it, they are using it as an adjective to describe something as being great. There's a difference between 'artistic' and 'art.'

Revenge of the Sith and art .... Wow ....

"The greatest artistic work of the past 30 years."

If there is a textbook example for tasteless opinion, this is it.

If anything, the Lord of the Rings would be a much better example.

Sent from Tapatalk