John Williams at Symphony Hall, June 7-12, 2013 (Boston MA)

KingPin

• 4 weeks later...

Shit, I really want to go. It might a one in a lifetime opportunity. I could pull this off financially, actually. But I need to think it over for a day or two. It is quite a lot of money after all...

Karol

Same here. Right now, it's not looking good in terms of the money issues. I've found that a roundtrip flight is about $1000 at the present time (the cheapest I could find), and then I also discovered that accomodation is VERY expensive in Boston! So I might have to sell my ticket here too (it's a great seat, but it's the most expensive of the ones available).

I've got a ticket booked, alright. But it might change.

Speaking of which, are you going to Kraków this year, Thor?

Karol

I am indeed. In fact, I'm part of the international Krakow jury this year, so I'm more involved than I was last year. Hope to see you there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to make a calculation as to whether I can afford this trip or not, and much relies on the INSANE lodging prices I've found in Boston (New York is much, much easier). I would need to stay there 5-6 nights, at least, to make it worth the trip. And preferably close to where "it's happening" and not by some highway in the middle of nowhere. Problem is I don't know where "it's happening".

So for those of you who live in Boston or know the city, what area would you recommend to stay? I assume there's nothing much going on by the Symphony Hall?

Actually the Back Bay area in the southwestern party of the city (near Symphony Hall) is the best place to stay in the evening. Lots of pubs on Boylston street and theatres and stuff in the Copley Square area. The downtown/financial district in the northern part of the city is pretty much a 9 to 5 place.

But yeah it's VERY expensive to stay in Boston if you fly in (hostels seem to be your only bet if staying that long). Or a 10 minute cab ride to hotels in the northern suburbs like Woburn might be worth it if it means hotels for $100 to $150 per night instead of $300 to $400 in the city. in the mornings there may be commuter rail options to return to the city.

As mentioned earlier, should we write a request to organise a possible JWFan meet and greet with group photo with JW. The worst that can happen is that they decline.

Who would organise such a thing - would it be JW's agency or someone at Symphony Hall?

It's one of my lifetime ambitions to meet him (if only for a few seconds) and get a photo taken with him, but there are only so many trips from Ireland to America I can take ;)

If Williams himself knew of our interest I could see how he might be willing to set aside a few minutes for such a thing. Unfortunately, it's hard to imagine anyone affiliated with the symphony or the venue would go so far as to ask him on our behalf - except perhaps to mention it to him on the night of the show in some unofficial capacity.

I would be very excited if we did manage to work something out, and I agree it's definitely worth a try. And for those of us who aren't fortunate to have Williams visit our city often, it's indeed difficult to get too many chances at a thing like this. This will be my fourth Williams show, and I had no luck on my own with the other three. Other fans I've spoken with at the Film Nights have told me they've tried waiting to meet him after the show for at least seven years, without success. So some kind of group effort might be the only way.

I tried to approach JW's assistant (and various other people) last year, in correlation with the Hollywood Bowl concert - first for a brief interview for my magazine, then just an opportunity to say hello. Both of these -- the professional and "personal" approaches -- were outright refused.

Me thinks John Williams is harder to approach these days than the Pope and Barack Obama combined.

Yes, it seems hard to believe that we could meet him in any "official" capacity. We really have no more claim to such a thing than anyone else does, unfortunately. Williams may not even be familiar with what an online forum IS. We're simply very devoted fans (though that doesn't count for nothing to Williams, who is always gracious to fans and has been willing to accomodate us within reason). Unless someone here knows somebody, the only possibilities I could see are attempting to write a heartfelt letter to Williams, signed by all of us, or to simply show up and see what kind of luck we have. Neither one is exactly promising, but again any approach that maintains a healthy respect for Williams' own wishes regarding his time and his privacy is worth trying.

It's not Williams himself who is the problem. It's his large entourage of people wanting to "protect" him against rabid fans. Which is understandable, I guess, but I had hoped there were opportunities for more professional approaches.

Last year was the first year he didn't come out for autographs and pictures after the concert by the stage door, due to the scumbags you made a habit of waiting outside for autographs not for themselves, but to sell on ebay without even attending the concert. But every concert I attended before last year, he always came out (thus where my avatar is from).

the only possibilities I could see are attempting to write a heartfelt letter to Williams

To where would we send such a letter, Gorfaine/Schwartz?

I have been planning for a ages to send my Jurassic Park CD insert to Williams for his autograph. Is Gorfaine/Schwartz the best address to use?

There's a letter I prepared to be sent to a PR staffer at the BSO requesting a group photo.

I was planning to send it sometime in the spring when we have an exact number of people attending the Saturday evening performance.

• 1 month later...

We're getting to the point where I really need to make a decision about this, but the big hindrance is still accomodation in Boston.

So I'm going to be blunt and ask directly -- is there anyone here who lives in Boston and would be willing to take me in for a night or two? If I'm going, it would be from June 7th to June 12th, and if I could cut hotel nights from 5 to 3, maximum, that would make a big difference.

Thanks!

I've just placed an order for the 8th and 11th concerts. Still, I've not booked any flights or made reservations for a rental so far. But I'll do my best to make the trip eventually. It would be my second visit in the great city of Boston.

Thor, if you need to find a place to stay, I would advise you to browse through Airbnb listings, as was suggested on the FSM board.

The member GlassFan at FSM may have a couch available....I don't know; haven't received an e-mail from him yet.

I'll make the decision in 2-3 weeks. If you see a thread with the name "John Williams/Boston Pops ticket for sale!" here, you know what the outcome was.

I think I'm too old for couchsurfing. Besides, I would have to stay there for 4 nights, minimum. I would be travelling half way around the world, after all.

Just got an idea, as I even may have to cancel my attendance because of a possible move to the UK for the summer.

How many of us would we be flying in from Europe for the Saturday performance? What would be the cost of a charter flight from say Paris landing in Boston in the afternoon and flying back overnight immediately after the concert without the need for hotels? :)

Just got an idea, as I even may have to cancel my attendance because of a possible move to the UK for the summer.

How many of us would we be flying in from Europe for the Saturday performance? What would be the cost of a charter flight from say Paris landing in Boston in the afternoon and flying back overnight immediately after the concert without the need for hotels? :)

That's ambitious! So many hours on an airplane within 24 hours. I would need to combine it with a US holiday to make it worth the while. But if you can do that, all the more credit to you.

Sorry, can't help with the costs question.

Well, 5-6 hours flying in from London vs the 5-6 hours driving in from Montreal. Comes to the same thing.

Remember, this is all about making it to the concert, which many won't be able to because of the cost of lodging. The experience is worth the slight discomfort of a red-eye flight which you can recover from within a couple of days anyway.

I'm just putting ideas out there, but cost of a charter is probably crazy expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile, I have cancelled my ticket (although I haven't yet received confirmation back that the cancellation is registered). It was basically living costs in Boston that killed the trip. I don't think I've ever experienced a more expensive hotel city, and I've been around.

I haven't looked into hotels yet. If need be ill crash in a Hostel. Dont care about luxury.

Maybe Jason can cobine posts and make a clear schedule for concert goers.

Stefan Cosman

Thursday 6 June - Monday 10 June.

Attending two concerts (Friday 7th and Saturday 8th)

Available for meet up with fellow JWfanners before both concerts)

Ren

Friday 7 June - Saturday 8 June (returning somewhere in the afternoon)

Attending one concert (Friday 7 June)

Available for meet up with fellow JWfanners before the Friday concert and in the morning or possibly early afternoon after)

Marcy and I are going to the Saturday show. We'll definitely plan a big dinner for before the show like last year.

It's hard to find a good restaurant within walking distance of Symphony Hall besides the Uno Chicago Grill we met at last year, which is literally right across the street.

Why doesn't Ren post on JWFan any more?

For those of you familiar with the area, I was planning on getting a hotel in Waltham because rates are reasonable there. Google maps says that's about 25 minutes from symphony hall, would you say that's accurate? It seems to be right off of I-95.

Waltham is east of Boston so you'd take the Mass Pike to get into the city but yes, 20 minutes is about right