BloodBoal

3D 48fps. If PJ made it to be watched in this format, then I will watch it in this format when it comes out. Might opt to watch it in 2D on subsequent viewings, perhaps.

The movie is NOT being offered in 2D 48fps. The 48 fps is ONLY available in 3D. Epic fail, boaly.

The real options to view are:

2D standard screen

3D standard screen

IMAX

IMAX 3D

HFR 3D standard screen

HFR 3D IMAX

I wanted to vote for option 8, but I guess I'll have to settle for 7.

In all seriousness, if I see it in theaters, I'd rather like to see it in 48fps 3D, not because I'm certain it will be handled well, but simply because I'm curious.

I would love to watch it on opening day or the day before, but there is no way I'll get home before 9 o'clock, and strangely, the last showing is at 8. So, I'll have to wait until the weekend :(

Yeah, but if you're sitting in the back, what's the point of the screen being big, then?

I guess I just don't get why, when it comes to screen, people generally think "Bigger is better".

Oh, when I'm seeing a film in my laptop, I certainly think that. Or maybe I should have my head very close to my laptop's screen so the action becomes more impressive...

Sadly, having stereoscopic vision (unlike BloodBoal), the actual size of the screen is retained regardless of where I sit. So if I sit an a medium distance where I can see just the whole screen but not much outside it, and the screen is enormous, the spectacle is more gratifying than if the screen is smaller.

I guess I just don't get why, when it comes to screen, people generally think "Bigger is better".

Depends on the purpose of the film, the way it was shot, and the type of theater. Personally, I don't find conventional IMAX theaters to be that great, but the OMNIMAX (dome) variety can be pretty stunning. You're literally surrounded by the image, and if the film is shot properly (and with the intent to immerse), it can be quite an experience.

IMAX 3D

HFR 3D standard screen

HFR 3D IMAX

So HFR 3D standard is the format in which The Hobbit was actually filmed, right, and the IMAX version is up-converted from that? Can anybody speak more to these formats, and which might be ideal?

I'm incredibly curious about the 3D 48fps, so ideally I'd love to see it that way first. I'd have to go a little out of my way, though, and most everyone I know hates 3D so I'll probably have to wait until the second viewing.

The Dark Knight Rises sequences were really cool in IMAX. When Saw the film again in a regular cinema, it felt really inadequate.

It's a visual art after all, and visual arts work best if you get to watch it on spectacular canvas.

Besides, it's not so much about size, but picture quality. Here you can't argue.

Karol

I don't if you're being sarcastic or not, but certainly big formats in cinema are unbeatable. I watched The Master recently, which was shot entirely in 65 mm, and it looks marvelous on extra large screen. Not IMAX, but still amazing.

Karol

I don't *think* the IMAX screenings are an upconvert - I *believe* the cameras they used were IMAX format, and the special effects are rendered that way as well - but don't quote me on that one.

Spanish or euskera?

I wouldn't understand a thing. Nah, they only dub a few films into Euskera in the Basque Country. Where I am, it hasn't been spoken in 2000 years.

But I can't stand dubbing anymore. I'd like to go to a subtitled screening which are hard to find.

3D IMAX 48fps I hope. (our local IMAX was brand new when John Carter came out, so I expect it to be 48fps-capable).

If PJ has used the 3D to make the landscapes look amazing, rather than poking things out, it could be quite an experience.

I feel like if there's any film that can make me a believer of the filmic capabilities of 3D, it will be this film. 48FPS in 3D, is my preferred choice, but I'm not sure what the high frame rate effect will be in 2D. Will it simply look worse? Now thinking about it, the 3D is probably going to be the same shit regardless. Might just go with 2D.

Old fashioned 2D and 24fps.

I'm not a big fan of 3D. I might see the 48fps version just for curiosity's sake but I'm not really looking forward to it.

I'm thinking 2D 24fps first, for the sake of optimal continuity with the LOTR films. I do want to see it 3D 48fps at some point, though, and I may see it that way the first time for optimal impact.

Got my tickets for 48fps, 3D with Dolby Atmos. I'm not a fan of 3D, but it was the only way I could hear it in Dolby Atmos. The subsequent viewing will be 2D.