• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gandalf the Chicken Shit!

Maybe I'll catch it when it's on TV. I'm not a big fan of the franchise.

3D 48fps. If PJ made it to be watched in this format, then I will watch it in this format when it comes out. Might opt to watch it in 2D on subsequent viewings, perhaps.

The movie is NOT being offered in 2D 48fps. The 48 fps is ONLY available in 3D. Epic fail, boaly.

The real options to view are:

2D standard screen

3D standard screen

IMAX

IMAX 3D

HFR 3D standard screen

HFR 3D IMAX

Yeah, but if you're sitting in the back, what's the point of the screen being big, then?

I guess I just don't get why, when it comes to screen, people generally think "Bigger is better".

Oh, when I'm seeing a film in my laptop, I certainly think that. Or maybe I should have my head very close to my laptop's screen so the action becomes more impressive...

Sadly, having stereoscopic vision (unlike BloodBoal), the actual size of the screen is retained regardless of where I sit. So if I sit an a medium distance where I can see just the whole screen but not much outside it, and the screen is enormous, the spectacle is more gratifying than if the screen is smaller.

I guess I just don't get why, when it comes to screen, people generally think "Bigger is better".

Depends on the purpose of the film, the way it was shot, and the type of theater. Personally, I don't find conventional IMAX theaters to be that great, but the OMNIMAX (dome) variety can be pretty stunning. You're literally surrounded by the image, and if the film is shot properly (and with the intent to immerse), it can be quite an experience.

The Dark Knight Rises sequences were really cool in IMAX. When Saw the film again in a regular cinema, it felt really inadequate.

It's a visual art after all, and visual arts work best if you get to watch it on spectacular canvas.

Besides, it's not so much about size, but picture quality. Here you can't argue.

Karol

I don't if you're being sarcastic or not, but certainly big formats in cinema are unbeatable. I watched The Master recently, which was shot entirely in 65 mm, and it looks marvelous on extra large screen. Not IMAX, but still amazing.

Karol

I don't *think* the IMAX screenings are an upconvert - I *believe* the cameras they used were IMAX format, and the special effects are rendered that way as well - but don't quote me on that one.

I feel like if there's any film that can make me a believer of the filmic capabilities of 3D, it will be this film. 48FPS in 3D, is my preferred choice, but I'm not sure what the high frame rate effect will be in 2D. Will it simply look worse? Now thinking about it, the 3D is probably going to be the same shit regardless. Might just go with 2D.