JW's Oscar prospects

indy4

JW's Lincoln Oscar prospects  

59 members have voted

1. 1. JW's Lincoln Oscar prospects

• He will be nominated for Lincoln, but won't win.
    • He will win for Lincoln.
    • He won't be nominated for Lincoln.

In the meantime, here's the Critics' Choice nominees for Best Score:

BEST SCORE

“Argo” – Alexandre Desplat

“Life of Pi” – Mychael Danna

“Lincoln” – John Williams

“The Master” – Jonny Greenwood

“Moonrise Kingdom” – Alexandre Desplat

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2012/12/11/lincoln-leads-critics-choice-with-record-setting-13-nominations-les-mis-close-behind-with-11/#more-58984

• 3 weeks later...

Some concern over the Oscar's new voting method:

http://www.cbsnews.c...tends-deadline/

"If the turnout is lower among older members, more traditional Oscar contenders will probably receive fewer votes, and otherwise edgier films that appeal more to younger people could fare better," said Feinberg. "Because of the way that best-picture voting works, it could increase the chances of a movie like `The Master' or `Moonrise Kingdom' getting in."

I wouldn't like for Williams' last Oscar to be for a music which is not as good as his previous Oscar awarded scores.

And since I 'm thinking it would be difficult for him to write a score now that will surpass Jaws, Star Wars, E.T. and Schindler's List, I think it would be better left at those ones..

Are we picky?

You'd rather have Williams not win an Oscar because the score is not as good as Star Wars or Schindler's List? You must be joking!

I feel Life Of Pi will win.

This is exactly the case, actually. A lot of times when people say this is even better than last time!, it really isn't better than last time; they're merely expressing their appreciation for a great experience by drawing a comparison, but what people forget to realize is you can't draw much comparison to a masterpiece. So if Lincoln was deserving of the win, we clearly wouldn't be having this conversation, and instead we'd be mesmorized in the splendor of a new trophy.

John Williams has written tons of stuff, but only his very greatest 'masterpieces' have destroyed any competition. They would rather award someone who sounds different, than inconsistently award a style (Lincoln) that has no obvious masterpiece element to it, and I can think of many better Williams scores than Lincoln. Something obviously striking and captivating has to come out of his style to be considered fresh, and that happened joyously and with the greatest of commemoration with E.T., Schindler's List, Jaws and Star Wars, which ironically are probably his four best (you could say.)

It's the same thing every year Williams composed scores. Someone asks if JW will win, many are optimistic, the day before the ceremony many are already jubilant, then some strange dude wins, and everyone goes "Who the fuck is that?"

No Oscar for Johnny.

I'm with you on this one. We've simply been through this too many times before. I can't imagine that he won't get the nomination (I think the Academy just likes keeping that streak alive, if nothing else), but I'm not banking on a win.

- Uni

Well the truth is it's brilliant music in spite of it'll get the nomination/award or not. I don't know yet, how is it with the film.

There are a few beautiful even half a minute clarinet plus bassoon duets, impossible to think that Zimmer&Assholes a) could b) would write

this kind of stuff because the generic power anthem is so much cooler.

"Lincoln" is a shoo-in for a nomination. Though the score is likely the most subdued of any film in the Spielberg-Williams canon, it's going to be on the list of categories people check off for a nomination for the film.

That said, the score in "Lincoln" is very much like the score for "Saving Private Ryan," and we all know what happened at the Oscars for Best Score that year. I wouldn't say the short amount of music in the film hurts Williams' chances, since "Brokeback Mountain" won for just as much music. But there are indeed more complex and interesting scores this year that enhance their films in better ways than Williams did with "Lincoln." I was very impressed with the scores for "Life of Pi" and "The Impossible," and we know how much the Academy likes awarding Score Oscars to people with non-Anglo names. I also think Patrick Doyle could get in there for "Brave." It's a nice Disney score with the usual ethnic instrumentation that makes the score stand out to voters, especially those that will be nominating the scores.

If WIlliams wins for "Lincoln," it will be because the voters overwhelmingly liked everything about the film more than any other in 2012. That has happened before, and could help Williams this year.

Seriously, you can't say something like that without backing it up.

I just realized you made it up. I'm slow this morning. Being back at work blows.

I can admire the Lincoln score more now that I've finally saw the film. What a nice achievement for the maestro. It grounds the film, gives it a heart to the soul that DDL delivers.

Steven Spielberg....Thank You.

Lincoln is a shoo-in nomination. I voted for a win as well. :)

Here's an oscar watch interview with Thomas Newman:

Oscar Watch: 'Skyfall' Builds Academy Support, Composer Thomas Newman Overdue for Oscar

It even includes a Williams mention:

AT: Were you brought in by your famous family?

TN: That was no reason to get into it. My dad died when I was young, I did not watch him work that much, I was not that interested in music. For "Star Wars" in 1979 I got a bone toss, I knew John Williams through the family, Uncle Lionel and Dad knew him well, John decided to give me a small bit in "Return of Jedi" when Darth Vader dies, it was so well-sketched and orchestrated that I was copying stuff down more than adding to it.

:music: The River Cam (Eric Whitacre)

According to IMDB, John Williams lost the Washington DC Film Critics Award to The Master (not nominated for a Golden Globe).

He is also nominated (pending results) at the Broadcast Film Critics Association and the Satellite Awards (I think this one was already posted on the main page).

And of course, on the main page right now it says that JW won the Texas Film Critics award.

I wouldn't like for Williams' last Oscar to be for a music which is not as good as his previous Oscar awarded scores.

And since I 'm thinking it would be difficult for him to write a score now that will surpass Jaws, Star Wars, E.T. and Schindler's List, I think it would be better left at those ones..

Are we picky?

You'd rather have Williams not win an Oscar because the score is not as good as Star Wars or Schindler's List? You must be joking!

I feel Life Of Pi will win.

This is exactly the case, actually. A lot of times when people say this is even better than last time!, it really isn't better than last time; they're merely expressing their appreciation for a great experience by drawing a comparison, but what people forget to realize is you can't draw much comparison to a masterpiece. So if Lincoln was deserving of the win, we clearly wouldn't be having this conversation, and instead we'd be mesmorized in the splendor of a new trophy.

John Williams has written tons of stuff, but only his very greatest 'masterpieces' have destroyed any competition. They would rather award someone who sounds different, than inconsistently award a style (Lincoln) that has no obvious masterpiece element to it, and I can think of many better Williams scores than Lincoln. Something obviously striking and captivating has to come out of his style to be considered fresh, and that happened joyously and with the greatest of commemoration with E.T., Schindler's List, Jaws and Star Wars, which ironically are probably his four best (you could say.)

Well said..

If Hook, which I think is among Williams' masterpieces, wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, then I think Lincoln shouldn't be nominated at all too!

Of course, the other scores of the year play a part on this too (on the nominations), so if any better score than Lincoln isn't to be found (expect the other 4 nominations), then I guess it should be nominated..

If Hook, which I think is among Williams' masterpieces, wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, then I think Lincoln shouldn't be nominated at all too!

It's just impossible to compare two scores which are totally different, the first full-blown, wall to wall scored extravaganza(which I love), the second very intimate, even

restrained score(which I also love).

And also indeed indy4:

It's all about 2012.

I don't think Hook was worthy but I'm in the minority. I do think Lincoln is worthy.

The Huffington Post has it wrong, they say JW just got his 43rd nomination. He's on 48.

Anyways, congrats to JW! I think this is his best shot since SPR 1999

I'm looking at this list . . . and a path to victory exists. I think he'll have the toughest competition from Life of Pi. Some of the more creative scores this year didn't get in. I'm very surprised at the Newman nod. It seems to me they're playing it more toward "he's overdue" than whether the score itself is truly that worthy. (Someone remind me: what other Bond scores have earned nominations? Not very many, I think.)

If they're willing to play that kind of sympathy card toward Newman in the nomination, they very well could play it toward Williams with the understanding that he's not going to have many more chances like this one.

As always, for us it'll start to become less about which one is actually the best and more about how great it would be to hear them announce his name during the ceremony.

- Uni

Doesn't this nomination tie him with Alfred Newman for most nominations?

only Walt Disney has more nominations.

The Huffington Post has it wrong, they say JW just got his 43rd nomination. He's on 48.

Anyways, congrats to JW! I think this is his best shot since SPR 1999

Huffington Post is semi-right. He now has 43 for Original Score/Adapted Score. He has 5 for Original Song.

And, ironically/coincidentally, 43 losses.

And regardless of any of that, or whether he wins or doesn't this year, it's time for them to give him a Lifetime Achievement award. Seal the deal for good.

- Uni